Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that one for sale as well. Nice analog detector, but heavy. The 6000 Di Pro was the next version of it and was lighter and better balanced.

OP
OP
bucketheadben

bucketheadben

Aug 22, 2010
Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Well it's not actually for me. My friend is looking for his first detector and he has a budget of about $150. I purchased it today and played with it a little and it seems to work well. It's in great condition and seems to be well taken care of. It's noticably heavier than my Cibola, and my friend plans on making a harness for it. I'm new to the hobby myself and don't know to much about detectors, so I just wanted to get a few opinions on it. I think for his budget it was a good score. Maybe now he can start making some of that money back and saving up for a newer one.

Do you live near Pensacola GibH? If you want a buddy sometime PM me. I'd love to get out and learn some tips from somebody.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Navarre. If I had known you were looking, I have a Classic ID SL I'd have let go cheap. I won't say it's better, but it certainly is lighter. I haven't been out much lately, but yeah maybe we can get together sometime.

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have used this detector for over 25 years and have had it in all kind of environments, from looking for gold in Colorado to hunting the beaches in Florida and have recovered coins as deep as 7 inches here in the rocky ground of Missouri. It may help if you can hip mount it as it can be heavy after a while.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bucketheadben,
I own the 6000D Coinmaster so the series Di 3 is a few after mine. Both are good machines, the Di3 uses larger/heavier batteries and as others have told you it gets heavy after swinging it for awhile. Whites may still offer a hip mount adapter set for it, this is likely a set of D rings on metal clips, a new upper end rod and armrest and possibly an extension for the cable. The metal clips will attach to the box by removing the existing screws, inserting the metal clips and reusing the original screws. Putting the box/meter on ones side really reduces the swinging weight and that makes the detectorists arm much happier. If Whites does not offer the kit ask them if another type of hipmount parts will fit the Di 3. By this I mean the upper end rod and armrest and possibly some D rings with the metal clips. Once you have these items one can construct the straps for the neck hanging/over the shoulder hip mount system. I believe the hipmount upper end rod and armrest for my XLT fits my 6000D.

I do not know how close the electronics/knobs are between the 6000D and the Di 3 however if they are close enough some special setup tips I purchased 'a long time ago' might apply. They allow one to super tune the unit so that one KNOWS what type of target is in the ground before one digs it up. This is handy but like I say I'm not sure if the instructions will work for the Di 3. I do not have the 6000D info at home so it will take me some time to get to them but if you want them send me your mailing address and I will eventually get you a copy to you.

The manual for the Di 3 is available on the Whites site under manuals. Down load it for free. Let your friend use this machine for 3 or 4 years before upgrading to a new machine, much of the experience will transfer to a newer machine though the learning curve for a newer type machine will be different than for the analog Di 3. And as you likely know, good earphones and diggers as well as good digging manners really help in detecting. In the summer the cup type earphones really cause one to sweat so if you can get ones with removeable/replaceable ear cups with or make some cloth covers this might help.

Good luck, have fun and may your friend have fun.

Regards, 63bkpkr

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
63bkpkr
bucketheadben,

I still have my old 6000DI Series 3 and I found it to be a quite good general purpose machine.
it is well balanced and I never had any problems swinging this detector all day.

it is a good discriminator and has very accurate target ID and will target ID at a much slower sweep speed than the 6000D; Also the disc can be set to eliminate salt so the machine can be used at the beach to good effect. The All metal mode will handle moderate mineralisation.

For me this old machine can still hold its own against modern machines when used in parks, gardens school grounds and it is also a pretty fair relic detector. I have owned 38 detectors over the years so have been able to compare the series 3 to a lot of machines.
My main regularly used detectors today are the Infinium,Supa Traq, Sov,BHID and Scorpion.

Cheers, Adrian SS

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adrian SS,
38 detectors, Wow! I can only rack up about 8 and two of those I made from electronics magazines back in the 60's, another was a Heathkit.
Good feedback on the Di 3. I loved my original 6000D and really found some great items with it, then it was stolen along with the car it was in. I bought another just for old times sake and have yet to do much with it, I've been somewhat busy.

Your experience with 38 detectors should be put into book form so others might learn from your experiences, ever think of doing that? Since I've started posting here I've realized even I have some info others can use. Then I ran across this wonderful posting that a gentleman from Oregon put together and shared on panning, it is really well done, and realized all the information there is on this forum that can be shared.

Thanks for your share on the Di, 63bkpkr

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
63bkpkr.

Sounds like we both started on the same foot.
I began detecting for gold back in 62 using an old WW2 Mine detector and then with an interest in electronics i went on to building IB TRs, a BFO and a couple of PIs. The BFO ended up being tossed off a cliff. Then progressed to a Relic magnum 7, Coin Magnum, Fisher 553D and 555D then a Gold seeker 15000, Whites 5000D, 6000D 6000 DI Pro S3 A Pro scan 2 (Aussie made) A 6000DI Pro SL (Black Box great classic machine) BHID a few no name brands then Bounty Hunters , Minelabs and Garretts and a Gold Scan 4, Gold Spears and a few Chinese units; All in the quest for the do it all detector.

I can say that I found more small deep good targets with the 553D than with any other detector I have owned, aside from that I consider my SOV XS to be my best general purpose machine and best saltwater beach non waterproof machine.

Yes I did consider writing a book but I doubt that it will happen.

Regards,
Adrian SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread