Missing my XLT :(

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years back I purchased an XLT as my first detector, my wife at the time reffered to it as "my old man hobby" and kept me to busy to use it much and I regret the day I sold it. Now that she is an ex-wife I want an XLT again. I'm saving to get one but times are tough. I'm afraid if I go with a cheaper model I will just get fustrated. Are there other models with ease of use with a cheaper price tag?

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went through the Big D once, while waiting for the judges dicision on how to settle up, someone with a key to my house went in and stole all my detecting stuff along with all my finds (nearly 20 years worth of old silver and gold jewelry). They left my little treasure chest full of wheat pennies though. I had a new DFX then and it was stolen. I missed it terribly but saved and got a Minelab Explorer and loved it but was still longing for a whites machine. I sold the explorer and later bought a V3 and ended up with the Eagle Spectrum I gave my Dad when I bought an XLT. I also got a Quantum XT. all good machines, I tend to use the Eagle Spectrum a lot (it was the predecessor to the XLT) and it is a great machine. They can be gotten for a very reasonable price.
I love the V3 but I am still learning a lot on it with a ways to go before mastering it. so far my favorite was the DFX. If you have to choose one and can afford it, go with the DFX. I have never owned any of the MXT machines but I have heard great things about them as well. I have heard people refer to the QXT as the poor mans XLT, the only thing I don't like about my QXT is the VDI system, there are only 8 to give any idea of what you have found.

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look under Dealer classifieds here and theres one for sale by Dallas @ K&D Detectors....Its a great deal and he's a straight shooter..You won't go wrong with him or that XLT.....

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have bought from Dallas, Great guy and great machines. If he says it's good then it's good. That is a great deal for $400 for the XLT. Keep your eyes open and watch the classifieds on here. Sometimes a real deal will come along and you can get a great detector for much less than it's worth. If you have concerns about anybody selling on here just ask about them, if there has been any bad dealings somebody will let you know. Most of the guys on here are honest, hard working people. Sometimes a bad apple slips into the bunch and you have to be careful so do not hesitate to ask about their reputation before sending money.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there other models with ease of use with a cheaper price tag?

At a cheaper price tag under the White's label
there is the Prizm 6T.
It has the TID numbers and the tones.
But it is not an XLT.
I have doubts you would be happy with any but an XLT,
so keep that in mind and go on from there.
Good luck and happy hunting.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
the bad thing is if you buy something other than an XLT, bottom line is, you won't be happy. I'd at least look for a used one

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To raise the money I need I been working on selling off some fishing equiptment(saltwater), If I sell 2-3 reels it could help me to raise the money. As long as can get one and know it before the weather gets nice again I'm good. Sometimes you don't realize how much you miss something till it's gone, still don't miss the ex though, lol.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what i been reading the XLT is being discontinued, isn't the DFX the same operating system except the additional frequency? Should the DFX be the better choice? May have to rob a bank to get that one, lol.

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...XLT is no longer in the catalogs......Your correct the DFX is 2 frequencies, 3khz and 15khz ....XLT is 6.59khz....Good luck on your choice...

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I know how you feel about the XLT. One great machine.

My understanding is that the XLT is no longer being manufactured, but there are still some on the market for sale. When they are gone, they are gone.

I did buy a used one off EBay. Got a good deal, but some folks do not like dealing with eBay.

Hope you find another one.

My back up unit is the M6. It is OK, but way different from the XLT.

Best of luck. Hope you locate one soon.

Ray S ECenFL

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a good secondhand XLT while you still can. The DFX is O.K. and could be the best buy if you want to work land and wet salt beaches but I never really liked mine and it went (then I won another...that got sold straight on!).

Az Coinshooter

Greenie
Jan 5, 2007
I have had 3 XLT's. I would trade mine off to upgrade to something that was suppose to be better, but everytime I did I was unhappy with what I got. I had a DFX that was 3 months old and I traded it straight across for an older used XLT which I will never get rid of. Bottom line is if you are happy with a certain machine and you know how to use it stick with it until you have made up your mind you want to learn something new.
Good luck on getting an XLT and Happy Hunting.

Shooter

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find yourself a good used XLT and be done with it. It is still a very good machine, and will hold its own with anything out there.
RCW

tmoore

Tenderfoot
Nov 23, 2005
Fulton, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Don't give up on getting an XLT. I just got one by placing a wanted ad on Craigslist. The unit looks like new and was owned by this kids grandad. It was probably not used more than 20 or 30 times. Oh and the best part....I only paid $200 and that includes headphones and a hard case. So keep looking, the deals are out there.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sniffer said:
the bad thing is if you buy something other than an XLT, bottom line is, you won't be happy. I'd at least look for a used one
Sniffer is right......If now you get anything but a XLT , You won't be happy..............

POOHBEAR2170

Aug 8, 2010
Texarkana Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt E series
Yeah good deals are out there i went to one of my local pawn shop and there on the wall was a Whites XLT E series with headphones recharge pack everything even the manual i got it for 250.00 out the door and still have warranty looks new also the had a Garrett metal detector for 119.00 so deals are out there so good look HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread