Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure the SL was first used to designate Slim Line.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all a bit of a mad house. Basic difference was the auto ground balance of the 6000's wasn't on the 5900's so the 5900 DI is a manual ground balance machine but with similar performance to its big brother.
The 6000 DI Pro was brought in and the 6000 DI Series 3 was re issued as the 5900 DI
DI was dropped and the detector was revamped and called the XL. I think this was the point that they wanted to use the smaller control box that they were using for the XLT.
Just to confuse things some had a label inside saying "CB". This meant that it was a composite board version of the original design.

To make it a little more simple I think the redesigns were just to drop the size and weight and enable the machines to look a bit more modern and fit in with the XLT design. One or two not so important controls got dropped. Performance didn't seem different and the 5900 would match the 6000 as long as you set the ground balance the same with the later versions. Early 5900's were a little deeper than the 6000's until Whites tweaked the auto G.B.

Think I'm going to go to bed now before I confuse myself anymore !

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian, you are right. White's seems to not be the only one lately to do this "marketing scheme." Add to it some of the mail order houses slap on decals to further confuse us or imply if we get the "pro" package for $$$ we will get the coil that the manufacturer shipped for free anyway. We have to always be on our guard.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 6000 XL PRO, it is a jewelry magnet in the parks and playgrounds.. It is well built, easy to swing and the batteries seem to last. It is the detector I use in the parks, playgrounds and tot lots............... Never used the 5900 series....

I bought mine used, for $450 about 3 years ago....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread