New Whites Detectors?

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1266X, Whites MXT, Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Been doing alot of research lately on a new machine and couldnt help but notice that White's machines appear to be a little dated. Now I know that they are great machines but minus some minor upgrades, machines like the MXT and GMT are like 10-15 year old technology. Does anyone have any insight on to whether Whites have any new projects in the works like some of the other manufactures are offering. Not to be taken the wrong way, they make great machines but Id like them to step in the newer technology.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't hold you breath...........White's believes to not fix it if it ain't broke. They have improved the models they have now and have come out with the V3. White's has great customer service.

OP
OP
Run4Cvr

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find any metion of new projects on the web. I just purchased a Gold Bug Pro and continue to look at the MXT as another good addition, just don't want to pay top dollar for a machine that could be replaced by a new better unit in a few months. No doubt the MXT is a proven and capable system, its just a little heavy and new technology has increased battery life, speed, and lessened the weight. If I decide to pull the trigger on one Itll probably be a used unit, I firmly believe that they've got to be working on something new, at least I would hope so.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of detecting are you going to be doing? MXT is awesome. If your planning on just gold hunting then you already have a gold bug pro. If you want a better all round machine the MXT cannot be beat plus you can look for gold with it also. Lots of extra coils available for it also that can interchange with other E series machines. I do not see any need for newer technology on something that does not need to be fixed as the mid to higher end Whites do a good job already. Other than maybe a Tesoro Lobo super track or possibly some of the Minelab units, the ground tracking features on the GMT,MXT and M6 are second to none. It is balanced better than the older 1266 by Fisher (in my opinion) and battery life is 40 hours without headphones. Whites are built like tanks also and are very sturdy. I am always looking to upgrade myself but so far for the US manufactorers it seems the technology itself has all come to a stand still. So I say to myself is it worth getting the new MXT pro? Heck no there is not enough "New" features to spend the extra money. Also after you do your homework and look around there seems to be a lot of guys heading back to basic units that just beep and you dig. Strange to me, since alot of these guys have top of the line machines sitting in the closet, they will pick up the beep and dig model because it gets the same depth as their top end unit but it just weighs less.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I see a lot of other manufactures coming up with new products to try to equal the detectors that White's makes. The MXT is a tried and proven detector that they just enhanced with multi tones and backlighting. The TDI is a very deep Pulse Induction detector that White's just came out with a few short years ago and was designed by the founder of PI machines, Eric Foster. Eric Foster also designed the DF coil that is also used on the underwater detector that they market and manufacture.

Since it's introduction, they have improved the standard TDI and even came out this past year with a new TDI Pro that has added features. In DIV hunts, the TDI is second only to the GPX MLs that sell for $5K and up. I would say that not only has White's stayed abreast of the market but has also led the market in new technology and designs by some of the best minds in detection design engineering out there.

Yes, White's service is 2nd to none and will go out of their way to make the customer happy. This is a proven track record and is the reason that for 25 plus years, I have never been wrong in being the owner of a White's detector. Even now, I own an older MXT and a brand new TDI that is greatly improved from the older TDI that I previously owned. The MXT has found me nuggets in NV, gold and diamond rings in MI, and relics from years past. After I sold my old TDI, I was lost coin shooting deep targets in trash infected areas. The discrimination to null out nails, pulltabs, and bottlecaps is a great plus when working those areas with the TDI. I had to replace my old TDI with a new one.....jim

OP
OP
Run4Cvr

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what your saying, my 1975 chevy pickup hauls dirt as good as my 2005, but my 2005 is a whole lot nicer and rides much better. I have no beef with Whites, just stating that their models appear dated and wanted to know if anything new was on the horizon.

Its like cell phones 10 years ago they had awsome reliability and made crystal clear calls, however cell phones today can do what computers could do 10 years ago.

I have an electonics background and know that there are advantages to the new technologies available. Look at what can be done on a smartphone, imagine what could be done with a metal detector. Just sayin.....

Like I stated before, I have no beef with Whites and have been admiring their machines for years, but dont want to pay top dollar for a machine that may be rendered yesterdays news if and when a new machine comes out. No doubt the MXT will be very popular for years to come, but I still beg the question, whats next?

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I would like to see them put a USB port on the machines.. then offer a diagostic on tme.. even upgrades or tuning..... they could charge a per load fee .. make some good $$ on it.. and maybe help cut down on what is sent to the repair center and make turn around time there faster as well

OP
OP
Run4Cvr

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a great idea and would probably revolutionize metal detecting. Look at all the things that can be done on a smart phone. Imagine combining GPS technology into them. You could tag a major find on your unit and store it for later reference.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Run4Cvr said:
That would be a great idea and would probably revolutionize metal detecting. Look at all the things that can be done on a smart phone. Imagine combining GPS technology into them. You could tag a major find on your unit and store it for later reference.

I imagine that if White's could sell as many detectors as smart phones that have been sold, they'd jump all over the new technology that changes more often than I sneeze.
Just the few people I work with seem to buy a new phone every 6 months to keep up with the technology.
Like Arizonaames said, White's leads the way and makes a reliable machine. I just don't think it's practical for them to come out with a new machine every year.

Al

OP
OP
Run4Cvr

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not saying they should come up with a new machine every year. Just saying their current models are a little long in the tooth and it would be nice to see or hear of some new stuff. That was the point of the posting, has anyone heard of anything new from Whites?

glabelle

Apr 21, 2011
I don't really understand the comment that Whites current detectors are "long in the tooth" nor "old technology", etc.!? What are you comparing them against? What is out there that is better? Why come out with a new detector, if you cannot truly improve on your current line? I just got a V3i and find that it represents everything available in any detector. You can literally design your own detector with all the various configurations and adjustments and coils.

I've been detecting and have built detectors from scratch, for 50 years now. I can tell you that except for some bells and whistles and a very few real technological advances, there is not a lot new and the detectors are not going to make a quantum leap in performance for some time (unless there is a new discovery in physics).

What is it that you'd like to see that is new, or changed?

In the last couple of decades, the improvements have been multifrequency units, better ground tracking, and digital processing. It doesn't necessarily buy you any more depth (which is what every one seems to want), it just makes it easier to detect the good targets from the bad.

The only thing that I can see that makes Whites detectors look or feel dated, is their constancy in the old aluminum rectangular case that they have had forever. Other than that, they have the bleeding edge detector in the V3i.

George Aloha, Oregon

OP
OP
Run4Cvr

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess its a taste thing for me. I was looking into the GMT and MXT and felt that they are dated. Circuitry and chips have come along way. These machines are heavy and take a giant brick of batteries. What is the harm of updating these units making them lighter, faster, and more efficient? The V3i is a great machine, but I dont want to spend 1500 dollars on one. Why doesnt whites put out a machine like the Xterra 705, AT Pro, or Teknetics Omega? Light, modern, affordable, and technolgy that doesnt date to the 1990's.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me an aluminum box any day over plastic for sure, the plastic will be broke long before anything happens to the aluminum box. Durability is one thing I'll pay for, if you do any detecting in the woods the metal box makes you feel better while your tripping over vines and sticks.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run4Cvr said:
I guess its a taste thing for me. I was looking into the GMT and MXT and felt that they are dated. Circuitry and chips have come along way. These machines are heavy and take a giant brick of batteries. What is the harm of updating these units making them lighter, faster, and more efficient? The V3i is a great machine, but I dont want to spend 1500 dollars on one. Why doesnt whites put out a machine like the Xterra 705, AT Pro, or Teknetics Omega? Light, modern, affordable, and technolgy that doesnt date to the 1990's.

I do not understand about the brick for a battery thing. It is only 8 AA's. Have you metal detected with one of the GMTs or MXTs? They are very well balanced. You go and put that 11" DD accessory coil onto the Xterra machine in replace of the stock coil and you will note that the balance is shifted to the front of the machine and it tires your wrist out faster plus you cannot get that bolt to tighten up good with thier larger DD style coil and it tends to "flop" around and not stay put. If you think Whites makes a heavy unit then go swing some of the higher ended Minelabs. Everyone thinks the AT pro is a new designed detector but in reality Garretts have had waterproof VLF units in the past for use on land that was waterproof, one of them was called the AT-3. I may be wrong but other than the bigger DD style coil and a VDI number to me it looks like the AT pro is a hopped up ACE 250 and still it is a mid ranged machine, plus for a metered unit I like a bigger screen and the AT pro is too small for me. I cannot say much on the Teknetics performance but I can say it does not look to be built as tough as Whites mid to upper ranged machine. If you want a lighter good machine then go for one of the Tesoros or the Xterra units. It does not matter what that machines brain is going to tell you is in the ground, it still boils down to good repeatable signals and your own judgement to dig no matter what you use to detect with.

spear85

Apr 23, 2011
I am one to always agree that "if it aint broke, dont fix it". With that said, the Whites MXT is my main detector and has been for several years. The MXT is something i dont think they need to change at all....but on the flip-side the TDI needs some enhancing.

TDI is in desperate need of a 3rd tone or some type of iron discrimination...like the Minelab iron reject. I used the TDI for over a year and a half (still own it) before getting tired of the durability issues and the insane amounts of iron you have to dig. Im not "bashing" Whites, just calling it how it is. Its my favorite brand of detector and it pains me to say that the TDI was a bit rushed in my opinion. The search coils go bad WAAYY too often, the circuit boards have issues etc. Its literally a known issue with the circuit board going out.

Let me explain my gripe on IRON. Simply put, you WILL dig iron when metal detecting...its gonna happen regardless of the machine. You cant expect to never dig any of it. But, with the TDI it can get out of control. It all starts with the classification of targets (low/high conductors). Buttons come in with a nice high tone which is nice but NOT ALL buttons are high tones. On the flip side you have the low tone which consists of : Bullets, IRON, Plates, some coins, larger buttons, silver etc. You see that iron is lumped right in there in low tones with lots of good stuff, which leads you to dig so many low tones that end up being nails....it drives you insane.

If you are in a highly iron infested camp you may dig 10 nails to 1 bullet, but you may also walk right into a bullet patch and dig 10 bullets to 1 nail. Sometimes you get that "double tone" for nails which lets you avoid digging a nail but WAY to often nails sound exactly like bullets. Look at it like this, every single time you get a low tone, in the back of your mind will be this "probably a deep nail...but what if i dont dig it? and its actually a deep CS button, or ID tag, or bullet, or super deep plate etc". Thats the issue, you literally question yourself about not digging EVERYTHING. Can you handle passing up a low tone only to have your buddy swing over it 5 minutes later and dig a once in a lifetime find that you COULD have found?? Great for your buddy but no matter how happy you are for him you will kick yourself in the rear for not digging that signal!

In bad ground, VLF machines tend to make a lot of targets sound like iron due to the mineralization. In the TDI, you have a machine built for the mineralization abilities...yet because of the way they lumped the iron with the good stuff in low tones....you are almost forced to dig EVERYTHING and every nail for fear of leaving goodies behind....just like what you would do with a VLF in hot ground. Which brings me to "button mode". It happens all too often, people get frustrated with the IRON and flip it in Low Conductivity and dig button after button....while not even hearing plates, bullets or Lord knows what else.

I went to the GPX 5000 and very happy with the machine. Pricey...YES. Piece of mind knowing that im not leaving stuff behind...PRICELESS. Its incredible! If White's would have added a 3rd tone for Iron or added some disc feature for iron i would have never got a Minelab in the first place. So all in all i feel Whites is dragging their feet in the Pulse technology...

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Run4Cvr said:

Yes....and more than a few of the detectors that you mentioned do not work as advertised and are more behind the times than the White's detectors that you are critical of. Some, like the AT Pro is nothing more that a glorified Ace 250 with the same depth capabilities and more than a few had to be returned for similar problems. White's improves it's line continuosly and by your assumptions, you show that you are not up to the technology that you claim to be. If you want to bash a manufacturer, go to another manufacture's site. Your idiotic assumtions are not welcome here. Oh, by the way, I want a GPS built into my detector that shows me where the gold is 10 miles away! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Run4Cvr

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What assumptions are you critical of Mr. Arizona? Just think it would be nieve to think that Whites wont ever put new machines out just because the older ones work fine. Like a automobile, who wants to buy a particular model only to find out their will be a newer version put out the next year. Thats all Im saying, does anyone know if there are newer models on the horizon? Geez, take it easy, you sound like an old geezer critical of anything new. Yes I know Whites detectors work great, yes I know they are proven. Any engineer by his own right would admit that things can be improved upon by utilizing new technology.

Take a pill, dude.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Run4Cvr said:
What assumptions are you critical of Mr. Arizona? Just think it would be nieve to think that Whites wont ever put new machines out just because the older ones work fine. Like a automobile, who wants to buy a particular model only to find out their will be a newer version put out the next year. Thats all Im saying, does anyone know if there are newer models on the horizon? Geez, take it easy, you sound like an old geezer critical of anything new. Yes I know Whites detectors work great, yes I know they are proven. Any engineer by his own right would admit that things can be improved upon by utilizing new technology.

Take a pill, dude.

NUTS! Go bother someone else with your problems......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
arizonaames said:
Run4Cvr said:

Yes....and more than a few of the detectors that you mentioned do not work as advertised and are more behind the times than the White's detectors that you are critical of. Some, like the AT Pro is nothing more that a glorified Ace 250 with the same depth capabilities and more than a few had to be returned for similar problems. White's improves it's line continuosly and by your assumptions, you show that you are not up to the technology that you claim to be. If you want to bash a manufacturer, go to another manufacture's site. Your idiotic assumtions are not welcome here. Oh, by the way, I want a GPS built into my detector that shows me where the gold is 10 miles away! :laughing7:
Arzona .... I think you have the right idea they are good detectors and for being so bulky they are balanced so good you would think they weight about 1 lb....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Run4Cvr said:
If you want a AT Pro or a Omega or a 705 buy one of them ....But they are not any deeper than the Whites,,,,,,,,,,,, All these new tech detectors are not any deeper juat bells and whistles and modern looking to get you to buy one.......... What ever modern looking is ...I don't know ............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread