Pre Amp Gain question for the DFX
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2006
    The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
    White's DFX
    111 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Pre Amp Gain question for the DFX

Hello all,

Been an XLT user for 10 years (love it to death!! ) and last week decided to upgrade to a DFX as I felt the learning curve would be very minimal and also my brother, a 2 year DFX owner, says he really likes the factory "Deep Silver" program, not available on my XLT.

I have never been one for tinkering around with any settings as the factory "Coins" program on the XLT has always exceeded my expectations but I have come across a number of chats/posts that talk about raising the Pre Amp Gain on the DFX from factory-set 2 to 4 in order to obtain more depth.

Is this seemingly simple tweak a popular way to gain depth and if so, what (if any) differences might I notice from an audio and VDI standpoint? And what am I actually doing to the detector if I make this change?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

HH all!!

Greg

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3979 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Pre Amp Gain question for the DFX

Preamp gain is the amplification of the signal from the coil right after it enters the box and before it is processed by the AC / DC / etc circuits. PAG will have an effect on depth ONLY as you hear it. Running the DFX with to much pre amp gain could make it to unstable where it occasionally sounds off on changes in ground minerals as it amplifies those tiny "hot rocks". It is much better to run the detector, regardless of the brand, smoothly and you will hear the deeper signals. At least that is my take from reading the book, Understanding White's DFX.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/B000FTHDLU
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Getter done

Sep 2007
    Terra Bella, Ca.
    DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
    558 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

There are a multitude of thing that you can do with the set up of the DFX. I have had mine about 5 years and would highly recommend the book " Digging Deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster. Usually runs about 20-25 dollars and is well worth the investment. It will explain all the adjustments and suggest several to enhance canned programs. Have fun with it try out other options, you can always go back to the canned programs.
    Remember 9-1-1 and all the Fallen Firefighters and Police Officers. Never forget the price they paid for our Freedom.

God Bless the men and women past, present, and future who serve this country by serving in the military.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Solider, one died for your soul the other died for your freedom.

What a shame that scientists will call a cell on another planet "life", but they won't acknowledge a fetus as life until it is born.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching.

us
    Sep 2009
    Central Va
    T2SE DFX XLT GPX
    315 times
    Relic Hunting

Increasing the PAG to as high as you can while remain stable is a good adjustment. it will give you more audible depth
    G Grandfather John Taliaferro Stevens.
    Enlisted May 1st, 1862 with Co.B/E 51st VA Infantry.
    Taken Prisoner at princeton WV May 16th 1862, found shot in the back May 17th 1862.
    G Uncle John J.L. Stevens.
    Enlisted Feb. 10th 1863 Co. B, 8th Va Calvary

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links