wanting to upgrade

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
i got a bounty hunter pioneer ex to see if id like MDing(and i love it) its been good to me so far but i know its on the bottom of the MD list I'm wanting to upgrade my MD to a great one price range $0-1000 any suggestions(I'm in a heavily wooded/rocky area) i was thinking about one of these three white's DFX or XLT or MXT

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
I'd recommend your next purchase be the MXT. It is as close to a true "do it all" detector as has been accomplished up to this point. Even in the gold fields, its 14 Khz is running roughly what the old Gold Bug I ran and we raved about that at the time it came out.

OP
OP
bcs123

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
how deep have you all goten from these three MDs DFX or XLT or MXT

D

dfx_maui

I've been using my DFX for about a month now. Every time I go out with it I find a few coins. I must admit, I the few times I've not been out for very long (an hour half to two hours) but to find what I do is quite impressive. Especially when I just use the factory presets and not reading the manual as much as I should ;D. I've heard so much about White's metal detectors that I didn't consider the other brands as much and I like the idea that it is made in the USA - Sweet Home, Oregon. Customer service is great from what I understand it to be and my local dealer really comes through with all my requests and questions.

R

Rusty in Tenn

You are looking at 3 good machines.
I would have to recommend the MXT or DFX over the XLT as they are Whites 2 newest models for High line versatility in most hunting conditions.

I own a DFX and have had it for over 2 years. The preset programs run good but the ability to program the machine opens up new doors to depth and sensitivity when used in the correct combinations. If you buy this machine go to Whites website and sign up for a book that Jimmie Sierra wrote: "Understanding White's DFX" a good book offering basic programing to get you going in the right direction. Whites is offering this book free of charge, cant pass it up.

Jeff Foster wrote a book "Digging Deeper with the DFX" I consider this the bible to the DFX as it breaks down each feature and explains what each does and how they work in combination with other adjustments the machine offers.
Basic preset programs works ok but being a Relic hunter I look for the most depth and sensitivity which means I only run the machine in 1 frequency which is 15 khz.
I have dug bullets well over a foot deep and dug a 1798 LC at a measured 17 inches. This with the stock coil.

The MXT is a great relic machine and offers incredible depth and sensitivity. I have hunted beside alot of them and they are a great machine which I would highly recommend.

So either the MXT or the DFX would be my picks with both offering multiple coil options. Only one downside to the MXT is there is no raincover offered for the battery/knob control box. The DFX is programable thru the buttons at the bottom of the screen and does have rain covers for both the screen and battery box.

Both machines do have a learning curve but the MXT is alot easier to set up than the DFX. But the DFX offers substantially more ability to program for the given conditions and type of hunting you are going to be doing.

Hope this helps.
Rusty in Tenn

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005
Since you mentioned you hunt heavily wooded and rocky areas i would like to recommend the M6. I'm very satisfied with mine and found it to be very versatile, deep , excellent target separation, love the 7 tone ID and has same coil selections as the DFX MXT. If your a coin and relic hunter it may be the best of both worlds. The DFX and XLT require at least a moderate sweep speed to achieve the best depth capabilities in open free swing areas and you may be hampered in the wooded and rocky areas, the MXT M6 can be swept slower and still achieve great depth.Never used an MXT but have an XLT and had a DFX, also have a modifed IDX Pro and find i'm grabbing the M6 almost every time out now, it's a super detector, IMHO. HH Bill

OP
OP
bcs123

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
think all of you for your info i decided to go with the MXT and have since been very happy with it and on my way to finding more and better targets than i dreemed possible in my area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread