Bigfoot on Ebay and alternatives

msimpson

Jul 17, 2011
Ramona, California
Detector(s) used
DFX, GMT
So there was a mint Bigfoot for DFX that ended on eBay yesterday. IT went WAY past my limit and sold for $576 + $13 shipping. I have a DFX 300 and would like a coil that would cover more ground in a sweep. I have the 12 inch that came the unit. The Bigfoot seems ideal but I don't want to spend that amount on a coil. Are there other alternatives that would get me there without adding too much weight? Keep in mind that I'm a casual MD'er. My hunting areas consist of the beach and somewhat mineralized ground. I'm hunting for coins and relics.

I'd like to hear others' opinions as to alternatives. I'm also wondering why the Bigfoot has not been replicated, after the designer died, if it is that good.

M

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not used the Bigfoot on a White's. The Clean Sweep Coil by Tesoro is the same animal and they work the same. Granted it is light weight for an 18" DD it is not as deep as the 12" so it is mainly for recent drops with a depth of near 7 inches. It pinpoints off the tip or heel very fast and saves recovery time to next to nothing.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
There is a very siimilar coil, albeit smaller called the "Hotfoot" coil by Jimmy Sierra. I am in Europe and see it advertised here so imagine it's still being made. I've heard depth isn't good though, but that is not what they are designed for. Here is a link to an English shop - hope that is ok, since it's out of the country. http://www.metaldetectorshop.co.uk/...mmy-sierra-hot-foot-coil-for-dfx/p_61287.html

Attachments

• WHFDFX.jpg
    WHFDFX.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,786
OP
OP
M

msimpson

Jul 17, 2011
Ramona, California
Detector(s) used
DFX, GMT
Sandman said:
I have not used the Bigfoot on a White's. The Clean Sweep Coil by Tesoro is the same animal and they work the same. Granted it is light weight for an 18" DD it is not as deep as the 12" so it is mainly for recent drops with a depth of near 7 inches. It pinpoints off the tip or heel very fast and saves recovery time to next to nothing.

Tesoro's website is blocking the Clean Sweep page. Seems like they aren't making them any longer.

OP
OP
M

msimpson

Jul 17, 2011
Ramona, California
Detector(s) used
DFX, GMT
earthmansurfer said:
There is a very siimilar coil, albeit smaller called the "Hotfoot" coil by Jimmy Sierra. I am in Europe and see it advertised here so imagine it's still being made. I've heard depth isn't good though, but that is not what they are designed for. Here is a link to an English shop - hope that is ok, since it's out of the country. http://www.metaldetectorshop.co.uk/...mmy-sierra-hot-foot-coil-for-dfx/p_61287.html

At 9", it is shorter than the 12" that comes with the DFX. IT seems that all of the new stuff is coming out for the PI machines and the VLF machines are being put on maintenance. That is too bad because the VLF machines work pretty well too.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The HotFoot is a smaller version of the BigFoot, and suffers the same fate in that it is no longer made. The BigFoot is a Figure-8 style coil and has an advantage over the CleanSweep in that it naturally cancels EMI. White's considered picking up BigFoot production but (a) it is really really difficult to make it V-compatible, which we thought was important, and (b) it is a phenomenally labor-intensive hand-crafted coil not very suitable for our kind of production.

- Carl

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Thanks for your input, Carl. For those that do not know, Carl is Carl White who is the chief engineer and head of engineering for Whites Electronics in Sweet Home, OR. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

msimpson

Jul 17, 2011
Ramona, California
Detector(s) used
DFX, GMT
Carl-NC said:
The HotFoot is a smaller version of the BigFoot, and suffers the same fate in that it is no longer made. The BigFoot is a Figure-8 style coil and has an advantage over the CleanSweep in that it naturally cancels EMI. White's considered picking up BigFoot production but (a) it is really really difficult to make it V-compatible, which we thought was important, and (b) it is a phenomenally labor-intensive hand-crafted coil not very suitable for our kind of production.

- Carl

I really appreciate the feedback! I wondered why White's did not pick up production but that makes sense. I had a feeling that it was a labor intensive hand crafted coil. i went to the patent database to see if any information about how it was constructed could be deduced. Even though the Wizard of Loop has patents, any specifically pertaining to the Bigfoot was not apparent. My thought would be that I would hand wrap a coil myself. For that, I'd need measurements, wire gauge...ect. For the case, my intention was to use that plastic kote material that you dip tool handles in as a waterproof shell. That the Bigfoot cancels EMI is pretty attractive.

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too bad. I love the cleansweep coil on the Tesoro's for dry beach hunting and sweeping larger areas. It would be nice if White's had one. Ohh well, another excuse to have multiple detectors, I guess. :laughing7:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Bigfoot on the XLT has made me thousands over the years. When I asked George, the manager of Whites U.K. at the time why they were never mentioned he replied that they had had six in stock but the performance was so bad that he had passed them on to a German Whites distributor to get rid off ! Could be that most don't ground balance them correctly especially if bought secondhand.
Depth is limited compared to the stock coil but I'd rather have 6" depth x 18" width for the dry sand at the top of a three mile beach than 9" depth from a 9.5" wide coil.

My XLT Bigfoot is a twin coil concentric. I think for the DFX they used a double D design.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Bigfeet coils were Figure-8, Goldfoot coils were DD.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original Bigfoot came out having been developed by Jim Karbowski, and then Rick from Whites modified the Eagles chip so that the BF could be used like a conventional coil for the first time. Then when eventually the DFX arrived it was posted that the XLT/Spectrum versions were not wound in the same way as the DFX Bigfoot coil.

Coil sales were affected because pre XLT Whites and later detectors models required the correct Bigfoot to be selected for the detector used and people would buy the wrong one secondhand. Later a switchable coil was produced that could be used on different models but not all.
The upgraded Eagle chip allowed the use of "absolute value". This allowed the full 18" width of the coil to be used in all metal rather than just nine inches. People again assumed that with any model that could use these coils you would be able to just flick into all metal and have an 18" coil and were upset that it didn't work.
Then Whites came out with the Quantum and XT and others that ran at the correct frequency and Bigfoots could be used but results varied. Quantum's gave overshoot audio noises, others a single beep on the front of the coil and double at the rear.

So you had to be really careful just what you were buying. Should just mention that the DFX doesn't have absolute value as an option but doesn't need it.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Carl-NC said:
The BigFoot is a Figure-8 style coil and has an advantage over the CleanSweep in that it naturally cancels EMI.
- Carl

I have pointed the CleanSweep within 2 feet of electrical wires and can't get any EMI. Only EMI I have experienced is from hunting with same freq detectors within 10 ft. Also, doesn't the BigFoot's detection field resemble 2 humps? While the CleanSweep is constant from end to end. I sure wish other companies made similar coils. The CleanSweep is the main reason I have a couple Tesoro's. Would love one on the Etrac or V-rated...

CROCK of COINS

Greenie
May 11, 2007
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Bigfoot on Ebay and alternatives-? Big Dawg Coil

I will have The Big Dawg Coil in a few days...Let the FUN begin :-) I have 3 BigFOOT coils...now to compair--Eagle SL II/BigFOOT, XLT/BigFOOT, DFX/BigFOOT and the VISION/BigFOOT soon to try the Big Dawg Coil ;-)

http://pinnacledesignnc.com/

Jerry

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried a BigFoot on a V3i or know if will even work or not? I know its not NULL rated.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who want a really big "Bigfoot" type coil there's the 22" long Razorback coil for the Whites TDI models. This really allows you to cover ground on the beach and the weight is not bad.

(For those who asked as the info. is not on the Razorback site for some reason the coil is about 24 oz.)

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
the "Big Dawg"... not V rated but works on the DFX, MXT, and M6.........

Screen Shot 2012-04-07 at 8.05.00 PM.png

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody have any idea how an older Bigfoot that was for the 6.59 Khz machines would work on the V3i in single freq. mode at 7.5 Khz?

Davemill

Greenie
Aug 22, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Detector(s) used
DFX with Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So there was a mint Bigfoot for DFX that ended on eBay yesterday. IT went WAY past my limit and sold for $576 + $13 shipping. I have a DFX 300 and would like a coil that would cover more ground in a sweep. I have the 12 inch that came the unit. The Bigfoot seems ideal but I don't want to spend that amount on a coil.

I have a BigFoot on my DFX (although I managed to get it for $150 used). The combination of the two is so good I seldom take it off. As someone else mentioned, the BigFoot works well under power lines where most other detectors cannot search.

So if you can get one, I highly recommend it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread