V3i Advanced Posts "Book" - New - Version 2 - 65 pages

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
V3i Advanced Posts "Book" - New - Version 2 - 65 pages

Hello all,

Here is the newest version with the last one was 35 pages in length and had been downloaded over 1000 times!. There are 4 new "chapters" and an Appendix. If you missed the first "book", this is not a book. This is a collection of posts and information that I collected for myself and I just decided to share it as I found it so informative. It is not completely well rounded and more on the advanced side. Also included are more graphics in this rendition.

First, it is being made available (by request and suggestion) via googledocs. So, it is a direct link with no ads or countdown wait as before had with megaupload. The first link is in .docx format (latest Word format) and for those of you who had problems with that, the second link is just your standard .doc.

The way I arranged it, to save you all some paper, is that I just continued where I left off. So, really you just have to print from Chapter 8 on. I didn't really insert anything new. I made a couple of corrections and labeled them with "edit" (page 3 and 29 I think) , so if you do a search for "edit" you'll find out the few things I edited. (Mostly user, or should I say Mod ;-) suggested).

Here is the table of contents:

Chapter 1 Tips
Sensitivity Tips page 1
Filter Tips page 2
Iron Tips page 2
Spectragraph Tips page 3
Various Tips page 3
Chapter 2 Spectragraph Related page 5
Chapter 3 Rx Gain & Discrimination Sensitivity page 11
Chapter 4 Detecting in Iron page 14
Chapter 5 Probe Related page 18
Chapter 6 Correlate Related page 28
Chapter 7 Air Tests page 35
Chapter 8 Analysis w/ Jeff Foster & more page 36
Chapter 9 Recovery Delay & Sweep Speed page 42
Chapter 10 Filter Related page 53
Chapter 11 Ground Balance page 57
Appendix
Expert Menu Flowchart page 59
Pose by Tom Dankowski on V3i page 63

I tested the following links and they work; HOWEVER, you must wait around 20 seconds for the doc to load into googledocs (dsl connection) and then click download in the upper right corner. Sorry, it was this or seeing adds AND waiting on megaupload.

Latest Word Format - .docx
.doc format

Enjoy and feel free to let me know of any problems and or errors,
EMS

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: V3i Advanced Posts "Book" - New - Version 2 - 65 pages

I just downloaded your "Book". Downloading it was no problem. Thank-you. I'm still having problems with the V3i. With your help and the other "experts", I set up my machine and with my partner using my MXT, we finally had good weather. On the MXT finding the third bullet, the VI couldn't even read or beep. I then though the headphones was the problem-tried to change the program to speaker, machine locked up! I couldn't change anything in Audio. Thank god there wasn't a tree around! Went home early. I will read your "book" and try working with the V after the ground is frozen. Crops are being harvested and frozen ground is about 3 weeks away, the Bullet Sniffer is going into triple overtime!!!

OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany

Lost2Much said:
I just downloaded your "Book". Downloading it was no problem. Thank-you. I'm still having problems with the V3i. With your help and the other "experts", I set up my machine and with my partner using my MXT, we finally had good weather. On the MXT finding the third bullet, the VI couldn't even read or beep. I then though the headphones was the problem-tried to change the program to speaker, machine locked up! I couldn't change anything in Audio. Thank god there wasn't a tree around! Went home early. I will read your "book" and try working with the V after the ground is frozen. Crops are being harvested and frozen ground is about 3 weeks away, the Bullet Sniffer is going into triple overtime!!!

Sorry to hear about your problem. Quite a few people have been frustrated and perhaps its just my ground but I haven't had too many problems; my main problem was with GB and pinpointing and got that solved.

The "book" is more on the advanced side BUT there is good information there. Pay special attention to the Tips section and perhaps read up on the filters. If you are not getting depth, then I'd look at the filters. Of course to get some depth you will need some sensitivity, but not a ton. Can you get your machine to run with Rx@8-10 and Disc Sens@85. I run near that and can get a foot of depth with the 5 band filter. Check out my video on "How to set up the White's V3i" as that will help a lot to get it going.

If you tell me more about your conditions and ground (using the ground probe) I think I can right your boat. Good luck to you,

EMS

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

EMS, I do thank you for answering and caring about my V3. I grabbed the unit to see what I had it on --RX@7, Dis @ 65, All Metal-60, Offset at +3, Ground Filter on 5 Band, as previously mentioned--it did not make a sound or VDI. The next day the MXT found a 1812 LC, enough reason not to take the V3i anywhere, for now! I hope this helps you, but I think the wireless headphone or Audio program is affecting something/ or everything. I can't do anything now with the machine until the ground freezes, because "I have a lot of ground to cover". Thank-you Good luck .......Pete

OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany

Why are you running the 5 filter? I do, but have no mineralization overall. What is your ground like regarding mineralization. Look at the ground probe (VDI # there). If you have mineralization you might not get much depth with the 5 filter (depending on the level). Why the offset? Thanks for the settings, but I need to know your ground as well. (Again, look at my video as it shows you how). Also, is there trash, iron, etc. in your ground. Without your ground the settings don't tell me much.

Rx@7 and Disc@65 - My bet is that you will not get much depth with that as I have played with that setting and was getting around 6" -maybe 8" but it depends on the ground. Are you running so low because the ground is mineralized? If so, then look at my above comment again! eehe, kidding, just trying to help. I do enjoy figuring the machine out. (And was the MXT also set so low regarding sensitivity? The V3i is MUCH MUCH deeper than it and still deeper than the DFX. It is around as deep as the E-Trac, maybe deeper, depending on settings.)

Fun fun,
EMS

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

EMS, your reply is dually noted & printed. Yes, I'll watch your video. Here, I'm on fairly high mineralization (clay) ground. BUT, where I'm hunting, the ground has little mineralization (shale soil). The difference is I H's are almost on top of 'clay' ground; Clad's are 6-8" down in 'shale'. (In front yard) Today, the Bullet Sniffer found a 1887 IH and a 54 cal. CW Round Ball about 40' apart, 100 yds from the farm house, in the field, about 3"-4" down. Thus, the plot thickens--why-when-how--did that bullet get there? I need to get depth to find any answers! It sure would be nice, if you, sir, would jump in your truck, with your V3i, and Help!
I won't be able to get out until Thursday, of course, it's suppose to rain, or Friday to ground balance the V3i for that area. Til Later.......Pete

willie3960

May 29, 2006
Long Isliand N.Y.
Detector(s) used
DFX .MXT.

Thank you a lot of great inform
ation & tips. Appreciate the time & work you put in to it.

Ytcoinshooter

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2010
CT
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600, F75 LTD SE, Whites V3i, ATPro, PI Pro, TDI Beach Hunter, CZ21, Excalibur 2 modded, Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The amount and quality of information EMS shares is a valuable resource. Got my V3i later in Oct 2011 and going over his info and that of a couple real savvy users on other forums got started off right. You have to be able to try filtering, disc sens, all metal sense and gain settings based on info gathered from the ground and sensitivity probes and if possible by locating a naturally burried target. Key thing is the disc sense will drive your depth. I am reading that many users are making adjustments without fully understanding the relationship of certain settings. The V goes deep, testing in my yard with a Sovereign GT for comparison confirms it for me. Overdriving the V does no good, it has to be stable. That said in most areas I've detected with it I can run gain up to 12 (gain does not drive depth, just let's more signal and ground noise in). Disc sens around 90, all metal 76 and because my soil is not too bad I get good penetration with the 5 high pass. My soil reads -93 to -95 with about 3% mineralization. I have over 25 years on whites detectorsand really was one with the XLT and DFX. But that comfort level was gain through hours on end in my old test plot that was almost 10 years in the ground before I sold that house. The V is a tweakers dream or a fumblers nightmare. Go slow in adjustments and slower in your swing. I took the Hi Pro program upped the disc and all metal sens then tested the various filters on a target that was an 8 inch quarter until it was hitting hard on every pass. That was my starting point. A rme would have been more representative but I was dealingwith too much nearby iron and I didn't feel like digging it out so the quarter was a bigger target that wasn't getting easily masked. The ground here is beginning to freeze a little. I'm just a student at this point but I know enough not assume I all that smart without getting a 100+ hours under my belt. Sorry for any fudged spelling as I'm putting this up via iPhone and don't have time to proof my post. Read posts n other forms by deolslyfox and cybersage to get some good info! Some excellent videos by EMS and some by Neil in West Jersey ought to help.
HH-Bruce

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on a fine collection of facts on the operation and settings for the V3. I have't gotten one of these yet but tried one out and thought it was hard to wrap my skull around. With your information I might get one to play with as learning detectors is more fun than finding things with it.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Thanks in advance for your 'book', which I just downloaded. I've done some reading of the factory stuff over the winter, but having the benefit of others' experience is always a great help!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bump this up so I can find it later :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions