Whites Surfmaster 2 Plus

kelpike

Greenie
Nov 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased a Surfmaster 2 Plus quite a while ago and recently started messing around with it. It seems kind of dificult to find info about the Surf 2, and it doesnt seem to be a popular machine. I am wondering what are some of your opinions about it? Also what depths can it reach and what can I expect to find with it? I do know that it is very good at finding railroad spikes, I now have a lifetime supply of them. Most of my hunting will be woods and parks but once in a while I'd like to beach hunt for jewelry. Will it detect gold or would I be wasting my time? Any replies or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to Tnet. Most of us are a friendly bunch. :laughing7:
Telling you about it would take all day so visit the link.
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/whites-electronics-surfmaster-pi

You can also visit White's for a manual at http://whiteselectronics.com/info/manuals.html

Pulse detectors have they're place and this is at the saltwater beaches as salt and black sand don't affect them much. The are very deep mainly on iron and I gave up on them after digging hairpins at over 18 inches. They will find any metal at great depths, even gold jewelry if you don't get tired of digging everything else. Forget using this thing at a park as the managers will shoot you in the head for messing up the grass as they hardly disc or pinpoint at all. But they're forte is at the beach.

Get yourself a good Sunspot scoop and join us at the beach as there is room for everybody. :hello:

Sandman

OP
OP
K

kelpike

Greenie
Nov 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very new to the world of detecting but I believe the SM2 is not considered a pulse detector. I do know it is a VLF model. It was a very good article as I enjoy learning about different detectors and how they work so I can make a good decision on upgrading in the future. It is fairly decent at pinpointing. I usually dig roughly a three inch hole and then I try to put everything back so its hard to notice there was ever a hole dug there. This is definitely one addicting hobby.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a Whites Classic in a waterproof box borrowed from Whites older pulse machines.

So for general detecting you can follow suggestions for the Classics. Designed mainly for fresh water not salt.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
Its a Whites Classic in a waterproof box borrowed from Whites older pulse machines.

So for general detecting you can follow suggestions for the Classics. Designed mainly for fresh water not salt.

I must be mistaken then as I think of Surfmaster as all pulse machines.

OP
OP
K

kelpike

Greenie
Nov 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.K. Brian said:

I noticed there are six different models of the Classic, do you know which model it is most similar to? I am curious what kind of depths it is known for and opinions about the SM2 because I am trying to figure out if I should keep it or try to upgrade.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was the Classic II (old type) if you have the three PP3's that you need to rotate to even out the battery use it will be it. There were a few mods though as a resistor and capacitor were added.

To keep or not. Well its not the best on salt due to its single frequency and on land it would be better to have fully adjustable settings rather than clicking say from iron to foil etc. but I knew someone who took his all over the world for years with no problems what so ever and thought it equalled the IDX for depth.

I think this was one of the models Bill Crabtree (Mr.Bill) offered a cheap upgrade for which really improved things.

OP
OP
K

kelpike

Greenie
Nov 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.K. Brian said:
I think it was the Classic II (old type) if you have the three PP3's that you need to rotate to even out the battery use it will be it. There were a few mods though as a resistor and capacitor were added.

To keep or not. Well its not the best on salt due to its single frequency and on land it would be better to have fully adjustable settings rather than clicking say from iron to foil etc. but I knew someone who took his all over the world for years with no problems what so ever and thought it equalled the IDX for depth.

I think this was one of the models Bill Crabtree (Mr.Bill) offered a cheap upgrade for which really improved things.
Hi, it does use three 9 volts that the manual says to rotate. However, it doesn't have any click dials, it has two adjustable dial settings, Gain and Sensitivity. I will contact Mr. Bill about an upgrade if I decide on keeping it (which I will probably do even if I do buy a different machine). Thanks for the reply.

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
back in the mid 90's I had a White's Surfmaster PI Plus and a White's Surfmaster II Plus. The II was a VLF machine....

OP
OP
K

kelpike

Greenie
Nov 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tiggar said:
back in the mid 90's I had a White's Surfmaster PI Plus and a White's Surfmaster II Plus. The II was a VLF machine....
Can you give me your opinion on the SM2? I am trying to figure out what depths I can expect from this machine. I do plan to upgrade at some point but I am wondering if I should try and do that right away or if I should use it for a while. I do like it buts its not talked about much and I don't want to be wasting my time and get discouraged with this hobby. Thanks.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owne a wights surf pro pI and its a pulse Induction mashine,Go's deep but like the sandman said you have to dig everthing.I love mine It's my wet sand and water machine of choice.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed there are six different models of the Classic, do you know which model it is most similar to? I am curious what kind of depths it is known for and opinions about the SM2 because I am trying to figure out if I should keep it or try to upgrade.

one thing is for sure on the "surf master ll amphibious ll land and water" is it a vlf and operates at 12.5 KHz and not the 6.5 of the classics models that's why it's for the surf the 12.5 helps locate the smaller targets, and is better suited for gold. silver coins ring out loud and clear in any frequencies, but small gold doesn't. I own one and use it a lot
has a fast but slow swing speed, fast for finding it and then slow to help pinpoint it. My deepest riffle cartrige was found with that detector,unbalevable...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions