XLT STABILITY PROBLEMS AND DFX QUESTION

2country

Apr 23, 2006
SE Virginia
I bought an xlt last Nov. and loved it at first . After a couple of months it began to get very unstable , even in the preset programs . It would beep constantly and show all kinds of different numbers . There was no outside interferance causing this . It would run normal for 10 minutes or so , then go crazy . I reset it , re-ground balanced , but nothing worked , so I sent it back to whites . Now that the weather has cooled off some I've started using it again regularly and it has become very unstable again even with the pre-amp gain on a 1 or 2 . I'm sending it back to whites one more time . My question is - Is the dfx more stable on average compared to the xlt and will the dfx go deeper under the same conditions ? I only hunt farm and woods land . What do yall think ?

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I have 2 XLT's and I've never had a problem with it being unstable. I hope whites can fix it for you. Good Luck
KenPa

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
make sure the coil is clean under the coil cover,if you have one! sand between coil and cover will do that.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the DFX transmits on more than on freqency, it could be more stable under the same conditions and location. Like Dixie Digger said, check under the coil cover for black sand or tiny piece of metal. Inspect the wire where it enters the coil and box. This one nobody thinks of, replace the batteries, even if you think they are good.

Another problem could be your location. Try it out far from your home in the woods. You might be picking up a new electrical interference in your neighborhood. If not, Whites will fix it. Be sure to ask for the name of the repair tech. and what repairs they did. A newer detector may have the same problem.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP

2country

Apr 23, 2006
SE Virginia
Thanks for the info yall . There is definately something wrong with it . I'm using a new coil with no cover . Whites replaced it the first time I sent it back . I live out in the country , nothing but peanut and cotton fields and woods so I don't think interference is the problem . Maybe I'll get lucky and whites will send me a new one .

R

Rusty in Tenn

DFX is my main machine.

The DFX is a great machine to relic hunt with and does run stable to unstable depending on the programing you have in it.
Right now whites is running a special on the book that Jimmie Serria wrote "Understanding the White's DFX" just send in your address and they will send you a copy free of charge.
But I have read it and also have a book called "Digging Deeper with the DFX" that Jeff Foster wrote and it is hands down the bible for a DFX user.
The DFX is easily programmed and will work in most conditions with duel frequency's
3khz for old coins
15 khz for small brass.
I only run in 15 khz as it gets great depth and does not miss anything. I have dug a 1798 LC at a measured 17 inches. But it does have a heavy learning curve and the preset programs will not achieve much depth at all. You have to program the machine to your liking to get the super depth the machine will offer..

Hope this helps.
Rusty in Tenn

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I am in my 3rd year with my XLT and it is doing the same thing, out of nowhere it beeps, unable to ground balance ect. juststarted doing it this year. we gave also reset it. seems to work for about 10 minutes after you chrarge the battery pack and reload then all hell breaks loose. Not sure I am going to send in yet, I am looking at a minelab but would still like to know what is up with mine

B

Brush Creek

I have a XLT bought New a few Months ago
It gave me the same problem
Whites replaced the coil 2 times.
I finally demanded a old type coil ( spectrum type )
Never had a problem after that.
white's sent me a old demo 950 coil
they only have the new kind in stock now ( would not use one )
the DFX also uses the new kind of coil on there models there selling now

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I was having alot of instabilty and balancing problems, like the other post it would work fine for the first 10 minutes then sart acting up. cleaned the coil ect. Well after alot of probing i ALWAYS HAVE USED THE RECHARGABLE BATTERY PACK The machine turns on shows 10+ in power ect . I had someone look at it and they used there battery pack and used it for about an hour turning it on and off and it works just fine. Has anyone ever herad of such a thing?

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
do the nicads have a memory to em if they do u have to drain them completly to charge em up full if they arent drained an say u charge em for 15 min to what reads full charge then thats all u get (life)

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I have had that problem once or twice in about 5 years and I noticed in the manual about resetting the computer. I don't know if this will help your problem but it may be worth a try.

Like a personal computer, there are times (such as
low battery conditions) when the microprocessor of
a metal detector becomes out of sequence with the
rest of the circuitry. This is often noted by peculiarities
in the non-discrimination or pinpointing
(TRIGGER squeezed) modes. Symptoms may be
blaring or silent non-discriminate or pinpoint
modes, depth indication inaccuracies or general
abnormal operation. To correct such difficulties "reboot"
by:
1. Install a good battery.
2. Turn ON wait for MAIN MENU to appear.
3. Open battery door and remove battery while
detector is still ON.
4. Wait one minute, re-install battery, turn
detector ON, and check for proper function.

By the way this is out of the xlt manual

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Mine would do the same thing with the smaller coils, so I never use rechargeable batteries. I've also noticed that tuning down the sensitivity helps a lot. May lose depth, but does increase stability.

Cavers5

T

TheDetectorist

Try using a standard battery pack instead of the rechargables. This has been a problem for quit some time. I remember these exact discussions over 4 years ago. Dropping in a brand new set of alkalines and re-booting the computer typically solve the problems.

TD

Raul2110

Jan 18, 2010
Porterville, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret master hunter,gemini 11, Sierra Madre, and xlt
I have had my xlt for about 3 yrs and having the same problem. It started doing it three months after i bought it. I notice it doesnt do it always only in hot weathrr

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never have an stability problems with my now quite old XLT. The rechargable were designed to power it so should not cause any problems until the pack is really old. High Pre Amp picks up more EMI but as the problem is there before you start tweaking the detector thats not going to be the problem.

It went back to Whites three times in the first few weeks because it was way down on depth compared with my previous Spectrum and I called it the Vampire machine because it didn't like to be out in sunlight. Lay it on the ground in direct sun and it would soon start to bleep, then bleep faster and faster. They replaced the coil to no effect and in the end both the whole display head and the main circuit board. All that was left of the original was the stem and the control box case. Did cure the problem but still not quite the depth or smoothness of the original Spectrum.

Most Spectrums and XLT's can be run at higher Pre Amps and sensitivity settings in cool/cold weather. The opposite is really odd. Think its got to be a return to Whites. As for the DFX the XLT has always been a little more stable for me.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried doing a hard reset? take the battery pack out while the detector is on wait a few minutes and turn it back on.

elk311

Jan 13, 2012
Kitsap, Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelabe Equinox 800, Whites Spectrum XLT (x2), Whites Coinmaster, Minelab XT18000, Compass Yukon 90B, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm having the same problem with alkaline batteries. I used to own a pre "E" series XLT and never had a problem... .... ?????

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried a hard reset? take the batteries out while the machine is on and wait a few minutes then start over.. good luck and keep us posted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread