I took the big step.

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went down to Big Valley Detectors this morning, met with Larry after a 40 minute phone call yesterday.
I came home with a new MXT Pro, a case, and a digger. Larry set the machine up wiht a 950 coil and I bought a Eclipse DD 6x9 as well.
I got home, and even though my back was killing me I put it together and went out in the yard with the bigger coil on it.
After watching the DVD a few times I got the ground balance sorted out and fiddled around out in the yard. It is obvious my lower yard has a few screw tops in it, (two sons who were once teen agers, what can I saw) and the mineralization of the ground is pretty high.
Before I go out to play tomorrow I am going to swap coils.
This is my first machine, at 53 it is an itch I have needed to scratch for a long, long time.
I am well aware of the fact I have a huge learning curve ahead of me. I plan to enjoy every minute of it.
I also plan to read everything I can find on this machine, and ask a few questions in here.
When I do, be nice. ;D
Everyone starts somewhere. I can rebuild a Holley Carb, a V-8 engine, weld, use a torch, wire a car.
I can learn this, too.
Right?

Looking forward to lots of fun, anyway.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the itch that can never be scratched enought. You got a great machine and will have many many years of great satisfaction. Good Luck and HH.

OP
OP
S

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...

I have several other itches that have been bugging me for coming on 40 years...cars, boats, etc.
I want to say thanks up front to Bart at Big Boys. I spent 20-30 minutes on the phone and he was very open with what was obviously a ton of information. I was ready to pull the trigger with him, then stumbled onto a dealer much closer to me who was willing to share with me as well, and I am sorta old school, in that if I can find a local guy who I can work with I will, nothing against anyone else. A local guy, who I can shake hands with, and reach out to just works for me.

Beyond that, I know the very first time I find something cool we will be buying one for my wife, too.
I think she is more excited about this than I am.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is a great detector, learn it and it will serve you well. You can hunt with detectors that cost twice as much and not be outgunned in the slightest. HH

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will love the mxt pro

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sam8,
Welcome to TNet and to "the" hobby! As I understand it the whichever model MXT you have is indeed a great machine! Read and reread the manual, watch the video (I assume there is one), read the manual again, go out and play, build a test garden in a Clean Yard and then practice, priactice and once you learn the basics start adjusting "things" too see what happens. The more you use the machine and learn from any and all sources the better you will like detecting.

I've owned/own several White's and just like the brand. I've also learned that all the machines can be pushed to really perform its just that it takes time to learn how to do that with each machine. When you dig, dig clean. When you cut a plug don't cut the roots off all the way around. Fill Your Holes, this is very important as those folks who do not fill their holes cause all the rest of us to loose out on being able to hunt parks or private property. Knock on doors and ask permission to detect the yard, even offer to clean the yard up some or to do something for them to 'give back or return their kindness' for saying yes. Oh, and have fun!

Earphones are nearly a must, a brass probe is also handy (for locating things under grass) to use after pinpointing the target, notice I said brass and even then you need to be careful to not scratch that 1909 S DVD wheat penny.......63bkpkr

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't for get to turn 90 degrees on your target...A lot of times it will show what it really is...then take your shovel and break the surface and a lot of time this is enough to break an iron hallow, and then the detector will read it right...this will save you some digging...

OP
OP
S

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Liftloop, I appreciate the response.

It has been raining like the dickens around here and while I did get a chance to spend about 2 hours with the machine before we had to go out for town for a week that was it. I have a lot to learn, and look forward to it.
Until the weather breaks all I can do is read and research.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember, if it pin points here and beeps over there it's probably junk, no wait it is junk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread