Need a little help on the V3i on pinpointing.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all...it's been awhile since I have been in the mood to do any detecting. A few weeks ago, my son gave me the bug again. I had been using the XLT for about 6 years and since I am about to retire..I figured I would upgrade. Took the plunge on the V3i and took it out for a short run today. I didn't do too bad, one 1943 silver quarter(Washington),old cig lighter and a few more clad. I am just finding it a little hard to hit the right spot on this coil(stock coil). With the XLT, it would be right in the middle....very seldom ever missed. This one, I seem to be as much as an inch or 2 off. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal but would like my holes to be a bit smaller...Geeezzz, we can never be satisfied. Think I will like it. I can adjust to my hearts desire and I have been doing that for sure. So, any advice some of you seasoned V3i owners have, I would appreciate it.

cmcelfish

Sep 18, 2011
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same problem when I got mine. The DD coil right? It stinks ! Changed it to a 950 coil and it has no trouble pinpointing now things are right where it says now!

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with the dd coil the target is right in front of the ears where the shaft and the coil meet. if you want to get more accurate pin point in two directions straight on and turn 90 degrees. if that makes any sense.. good luck...

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep texjim is correct the DD coils are like a wiperblade being hot from top to bottom, so you need to pinpoint one way get the center that way then step 90 degree to one side then pinpoint again and the coin is where they meet as in X marks the spot. If you only pinpoint from one direction the target could be anywhere from the top of the coil to the bottom, of course the deeper it is will narrow how much its off if your only pinpointing from one direction(without stepping 90 degrees to the side) because the straight wiperblade of the DD coil is getting smaller the deeper the detector is penetrating into the ground. Your missing out not using the D2 coil as its one of the deepest seeking coils for the White's detectors and separates pretty good for being a good sized coil. HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
SC_hunter

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I took it out for a spell today and finally watched vids on pinpointing....I got it spot on..not sure i'm gonna like doing all the deeper digging now..lol..worked up a sweat but found a few wheats and a merc. I do like the D2 coil.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the merc and wheats. HH

OP
OP
SC_hunter

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question I had a xlt for awhile and have a v3 on the way r u get much deeper coin with your v3i than your xlt.
Most of the coins I found with the xlt was about 2-4". The deepest was maybe 6. I have been digging coins down around 8 or 9 now...going over the same places I hunted with the xlt. It is going to take a lot of practice "tweaking" it but I am well satisfied with mine.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine is on the way here also....I am reading as much as I can since I see that it's not going to be easy to learn.

greatwhitetailhorns

Jun 5, 2012
It took 4 hrs. And starting to learn it if the machine goes crazy can't metal detect my yard because its so unstable need and help let me know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread