Minelab 3030 in comparison to the v3i

Cxtopher

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an Whites XLT owner for the past 15 years. I am now looking to get back into detecting and i will probably getting a bew machine. I would be very interested if anyone has had the chance to compare the v3i to the 3030? I have already spoken to a couple of dealers in Oklahoma (where I'm. From), but would appreciate additional input. I am hoping to start searching for relics and I also like to hunt old parks as well. I have not done much beach hunting. Any one out there comparing these two models?

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The 3030 will go where the XLT has some issues. namely the salt beaches.
The 3030 has a GPS and wireless HPs. Outside of that, my XLT is great.
The 3030 is multi frequency like the Sovs and explorers and will get better depth than the XLT in some High mineral ground.
To me the 3030 has a lot of bells and whistles and sounds a bit like a jazzed up Explorer.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an Whites XLT owner for the past 15 years. I am now looking to get back into detecting and i will probably getting a bew machine. I would be very interested if anyone has had the chance to compare the v3i to the 3030? I have already spoken to a couple of dealers in Oklahoma (where I'm. From), but would appreciate additional input. I am hoping to start searching for relics and I also like to hunt old parks as well. I have not done much beach hunting. Any one out there comparing these two models?
Cxtopher...I was in the same boat as you. I had used my XLT for about 7 or 8 years and since I was about to retire I figured I would get a retirement present. I didn't check the 3030 but had my mind set on an Etrac or the V3i. After some hard thinking and reading I chose the V3i. It is one heck of a machine and I haven't used it but for about 10 hours total. The thing has a pretty good learning curve but I am about to have plenty of time on my hands and I love tweaking things. The thing that put the finishing touch on it for me is Whites service...non can compare. Good luck on your decision and will be looking to see some of your finds.

DigHunter

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2012
Same story for me, I know the etrac is a very nice and I'm sure it has some pros not found on the V3i. After countless hours of reading and youtubin it was the V3i for me. The color screen, wireless headphones, (that work and feel great) and Whites customer service is second to None.

elki1052

Mar 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, just my 1 cent here, I was an XLT then I move to the DFX. good machines and afficient too. then this year I desides to get a diferent machine and got me an Etrac, now this is great machine, smooth, well balanced and deep on target, I equipted with a WOT 15" and I'm heating targets the size of a silver dimes at 11" great on separation even with that big coil.
I now own a Soverign GT and just purchase a secund Etrac for my wife.
Not so interested on the 3030 at this time, I'm going to waith to let others test the water first and then I my jump.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Never tried a V3i.............CTX3030 works well, it might prove to be a little to much for some, I find it a bit heavy for my style of hunting.
20 years ago it would have been right up my street.
P5315948_400.jpg

ivanll

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are paying for features you might not want with the Minelab such as ability to go into the water, GPS etc. More to go wrong, more expensive repairs as the seals have to be broken/replaced. Weight is fairly high though the balance helps. Worst thing for me is that it seems unlikely that there will be third party coils which both limits choice and allows the manufacturer to charge what he likes.

As Elki says its better to let others test the water first. Detector prices tend to drop after the hype has died down and more often than not there's software or hardware problems that have to be sorted in a MK 2 version. Unfortunately the initial reviews tend to be a little biased when companies make a point of selecting the first users who have to be fans of the brand and providing a free detector.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 2009 V3,I think It's as good as any high end machine out there.I might like to try a 3030 for in the water only because it looks to be a little top heavy.Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your choice.:leprechaun-hat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread