Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jun 2012
    Amsterdam, New York
    White's MXT Pro
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Whites MXT Pro

New to metal detecting, just purchased a whites MXT Pro. But having problems understanding how to set the gain and settings. I went out and
    Dug a ton of holes and found nothing. I think my settings are set wrong so I'm getting a lot of false targets. Can anyone help

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT300 D2, 950, 6X10 DD, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
    186 times
    I try and run +2 gain if there's not to much EMI, the D2 coil is awesome on the MXT it separates pretty good and has great depth. With the 12" loop it will be more difficult to separate targets in trash, a DD coil is better at separating targets where there's trash in the ground. HH

us
    Feb 2008
    N. Calif
    Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
    47 times
    Try using alternate Relic Mode - Trigger in the forward position. +1 or so on the gain and Discriminate at just below a nickel.
    You will get grunts for iron and good tones on all targets nickel and better.
    Bury some coins and junk in your yard and listen to what it is telling you.

HH
    Steve

May 2012
    5 times
    Hey Don. Hang in there. It takes some time. VDI# 77 or higher always dig. Also get a Garett Pro Pointer if you don't have a pointer now. Pointers Are a must.

us
    Jul 2011
    49 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    I try and run +2 gain if there's not to much EMI, the D2 coil is awesome on the MXT it separates pretty good and has great depth. With the 12" loop it will be more difficult to separate targets in trash, a DD coil is better at separating targets where there's trash in the ground. HH
    I thought the concensus was the DD was bad on bottlecaps?
    CoilFisher=I fish with a coil.

http://detectingrights.com/ Join today!

Use a Lesche and a pinpointer and CUT the plug!
    Don't use shovels and trowels in parks to dig holes.*Preserve the hobby.*

us
    Jun 2010
    3 times
    Hi Don, just set it at the presets and it should work fine. When you pinpoint make sure the sound is the loudest it will make when you are over the target and the bars on the screen are extended out as far as they will go. Your target should be in the center of your concentric coil (9.50 coil if this is what you are using) or dd coil will register coin where the lower rod attaches to coil. Hope this helps.

us
    Aug 2009
    186 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CoilFisher View Post
    I thought the concensus was the DD was bad on bottlecaps?
    It does register bottle caps like there good targets alot but you'll be hard pressed to find a deeper seeking coil with pretty darn good separation, I can get dimes at 10"+ and have got some at 12". I use the D2 coil in parks that have been pounded since the 70's where most detectorist won't even go anymore and I can still find those deep silver dimes,wheats,and IH's these are pretty trashy parks as well. I set my disc. at 6 and run my gain +2 then listen for those real deep faint targets and bypass the shallow targets so I won't waste my time on the clad.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    142 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    It does register bottle caps like there good targets alot but you'll be hard pressed to find a deeper seeking coil with pretty darn good separation, I can get dimes at 10"+ and have got some at 12". I use the D2 coil in parks that have been pounded since the 70's where most detectorist won't even go anymore and I can still find those deep silver dimes,wheats,and IH's these are pretty trashy parks as well. I set my disc. at 6 and run my gain +2 then listen for those real deep faint targets and bypass the shallow targets so I won't waste my time on the clad.
    Just a question how do you look for those deep faint targhets and know they are good targhets? I have the same detector you have and deep faint signals just change the treshold signal but I get no VDI so I have no idea on what it's really down there.

us
    Aug 2009
    186 times
    You'll hear them not just a threshold change but you need good headphones the whites royals are not good enough for the real deep ones, I have the koss ones whites sells but you have to listen real careful as you can barely hear the wisper targets when mixed in with other targets and trash. The VDI is always wrong when the targets are real deep but the tone will be real good and half way repeatable at least but jumpy VDI and lower than usual for what ever it is, but if it sounds good and deep you want to dig it. Some won't even pinpoint then I just do a small wiggle to get center and alot of times once you open the hole up after you cut the plug the detector won't be able to pick it up anymore thats when I pull out about 12" of dirt and its usually a deep wheat or silver dime.

us
    Jun 2012
    Dover De
    Mxt pro , whites pin pointer
    6 times
    If you want a headache and some great info get the mxt edge book ! MM

Sponsors