15" x 12" S.E.F Butterfly Coil

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the same question asked almost every week ....as in any bigger coil you will get more depth but your talking very little i got 2 inches more with my 15x17 but the stress on my shoulder doesnt make it worth while

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't see any difference in depth over the D2 coil, I got the 13" DD coil when it came out as well trying to get more depth. It gets as deep as the D2 but not any deeper but it does have advantages as it hits better on those deep coins on edge and covers more ground per swing, so its a good coil for open area's as it covers more ground and I've found some deep coins on edge that with the D2 didn't sound good enough to dig. You might have to go bigger than those you mention to get deeper than the D2 coil, like the person above said about the 15x17 you would probably get more depth with a coil that big but I would only use that coil after hunting with another and know there's deep coins there and just check to see if there's any deeper you might have missed. I'm thinking if you want more depth over the D2 you might have to go with the 18x15 SEF coil, I don't think I want to swing that coil though. HH

OP
OP
Mole Man

Mole Man

Jun 24, 2012
Longview, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i

White's XLT

Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the replies and advice. I'll probably experiment more with the settings before spending the extra money and go from there. I did purchase a 6x10 for tot lots and what have you and really like it.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on the detector your going to use the SEF coil on. If the manufacturers stock coil isn't to hot then its worth the move to a SEF. For example an older Explorer. Newer Explorers with the Pro coil its more marginal. Myself, I would not recommend going larger than a 12 x 10 SEF partly because of the extra weight but more for the fact your picking up more ground mineralisation and can have two or three targets, both good and bad, under the coil at one time which skews the I.D. accuracy.

The Whites D2 coil isn't the best on the V3 so I would try a SEF but its better to borrow and try if you can. As with all larger coils the bigger you go the more sensitivity is lost and they just are not suitable for very contaminated sites.

OP
OP
Mole Man

Mole Man

Jun 24, 2012
Longview, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i

White's XLT

Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good feedback and appreciate the time.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 10x12 does considerably better in single frequency. Not any real gain over the D2 in three frequency. I've only had it for a few weeks though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread