Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie to this site not MDing.

Need a White recommendation.
A little history of me.

I am a semi amateur MD user.
I am looking for mostly a coin machine 90% for around homes, fields and occasional beaches 10% "non-salt"
What do you recommend?
I do like digital readouts, even partially, and light weight.

I have a Tesoro Tigershark but I do not think it goes deep, and is a little low in volume for me, Icannot detach phones to get a different one. I am going to sell it or trade it in.

Actually I' ve been thinking of the White Coinmaster Pro for my uses, or the MXT much more $$ though ------comments?
I am sure you know even the lower priced ones come close to performance then the higher prices ones, but without the bells and whistles.
Only thing I like better that White is the Teroso lifetime warranty, still thought I am leaning on going to the White brand.
My Max $$ is about 1K.

Thanks!!!

Stashu

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT would be a much better choice. Better selection of coils available and can hunt just about any ground conditions.

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Mxt all the way. You can get a used one for +/-500. I have it and I like it a lot. Weight is no issue since it is extremely well balanced so you just don't feel the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with what the others have stated..MXT would be a great choice....Who needs a lifetime warranty when you have Whites customer service. They are great folks.

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for your replies-------I am going to look at a MXT on Monday

Stashu

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT with the D2 coil does great for those really deep coins, those wisper signals are the deep old stuff in pounded parks I still find deep silver dimes,wheats, and sometimes a really deep IH.

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which mxt. Reg or pro model??

Thanks!!

Stashu

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That depends on your funds. They are the same machine but the pro has the backlight and seven tones. Other than that they are identical.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Outlaw.png
The MXT with the D2 coil does great for those really deep coins, those wisper signals are the deep old stuff in pounded parks I still find deep silver dimes,wheats, and sometimes a really deep IH.

The Pro comes with a large coil too that is to large for most hunting conditions so you'd need to buy a smaller coil anyway. As for the Tiger Shark not being loud enough, have you turned up the Volume and Threshold Volume controls inside the case? The New Outlaw by Tesoro might be your cup of tea as it has zero motion pinpoint unlike the MXT. But you won't get a meter that would lie to you anyway. Besides you get three coils too and the warranty which is free fix up for life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thanks--i did play with the pots "Tigershark" inside for volume----
Another thing is I did not like that I could not disconnnect the phone---Bu this is understood being waterproof
Stashu

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it!!
I just got the MXT PRO/w 9.5 coil.

My dealer had a Pro model BUT he said quite a few of his customers said the 12 " is too big so he customed orders "routinely" a Pro with the 9.5 inch coil, and this is what I got.
I traded in my Tesoro Tigershark, got a fair price for it and away I went.
Much too hard to dig though around here, no rain, rock hard dirt. I'll just play with it and get used to it, maybe go to beach "non-salt" and kick some sand.
Thanks to all for your help.
Any tips with the MXT would be welcomed!!

Forgot--Dealer DID say a double D 10" coil would complete my unit, BUT 250.00 too high right now..

Stashu

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Id you are going to get a DD get the 10x6DD it is just great. Anyway congratulations on your new detector I am sure you are going to love it. I do. As for the tips on this detector I suggest you go an buy the book MXT EDGE, it is amazing what you can learn to do with just the few adjustments this detector has. When I fist bought the detector I thought " this detector is very simple, just 3 knobs and 3 switches" well after starting reading the book I understood the potential of the MXT, it can do many things very well, and it can keep up or even outperform Top of line detectors. Buy the book and see for yourself...
BTW I Know that yours is the PRO and not the regular MXT but the book will teach you many things and the detectors aren't all that different.

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know this book existed. Greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Stashu

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always try and run my gain at +2 usually any higher and it gets a little noisy, try and run over preset and you will get more depth. Always make sure and ground balance after you turn the gain at what your going to be running it at though and make sure you use some good headphones as they will let you hear those deep whisper targets. HH

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6x10 better than the 10" ?

Is this 6x10 coil called the Eclipse coil for 179.95 part# 801-3241??

Better than the 10" DD??? Price is better on the 6x10----179..95 for the 6x10 vs 249/95 for the 10" :-)

Thanks!!

Stashu

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a whites used DFX for sale.If interested PM me.

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Playing the MXT today---
Some say the meter lies?
I put a quarter near the coil it reads quarter, I put a dime by it it says penny or dime, I put a nickel by it it says nickel or ring, and a penny says penny or dime.
So without putting too much trust in the meter I think its a good estimator.

Thanks to all

Stashu

PS--anybody have a idea of some good headphones for the MXT with volume control? Not the 100.00 ones but reasonable cost ones.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's Royal GT headphones run about $50 and if you watch the classifieds you can usually pick up a pair for around $30 shipped. Walmart sells the Bounty Hunter Headphones for $23 and they have volume control for each side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread