Which do you recommend?

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
Surf master, surf master pi, or beach hunter id.

I take a trip to myrtle beach every year, i use my land machine up in the dry sand and want to try the wet sand and surf. I do scuba dive so that may be a later use bit for not beach and some freshwater beach river and lake hunting. My land machines are whites models and i have been pleased with them. So what are your opinions??

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I think that the main question you have to make to yourself is... " do I wan't to dig up everything or to I want discrimination to help?" If you want a dig it all deep detector than the PI is your choice, you will find small things at over 10 inches, medium sized at over 15 inches and big... well DEEP... the dual frequecy on the other hand will provide you with a normal depth of 6-10in. BUT you will have the discrimination that can help you avoid digging lots of trash, and let me tell you that digging up trash, with a scoop, in the heat of the beach ecc..ecc.. is just not fun. I personally don't have a whites MD for the beach hunts but I do have one that uses discrimination. I rather dig shallow good targets that dig a 15in hole just to find a bobby pin.

OP
OP
D

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
Thanks i really want an excal bit don't think i can afford one right now unless a deal on a used one pops up in the next couple months on the other hand i know where there are a couple deals on surf master surf master pi and beach masters i could use till i can afford a excal

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
157.jpg
I have experience diving and wading with all the White's PI's except the Dual Field. I also had a Beach Hunter ID which White's bought back because they advertise the coils as being near neutral buoyance when they in fact float like a cork. Same goes for the Dual fields. The Dual Field is said to be waterproof to 100 feet and the Beach Hunter to only 25 feet.

I still have my Surfmaster PI and it was only used wading as I have better diving MD's in the CZ20, Excal and Tiger Shark. PI's will find every tiny piece of metal trash on the beach at great depths which will wear you out quickly doing all that digging. You'll use up lots of air at depth too. Your better off using your money for a CZ-20 or 21 which is fantastic at the beach or diving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
Thanks thats what i need to know. As for fisher cz-20/1, they look to be fine machines but very close to the price range of an excal. Which i think is what I'd want if i put that much into one. Having never handled either one its hard to say. From what research I've done it seems to be the unit to have so to speak.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were a Charter Member you could do a search of posts about the CZ20 and see them all or ask OBN.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread