Biggest Baddest Lithium-ion Batt Pack Ever Made For Whites HP2900 mAh

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well because lipos are safe batteries as long as you know how to use them. This battery in quesiton is designed to fit into a transmitter remote control. It is obvious that you need to know the possible risk (very low) in how to handle a lipo. The fact that lipos explode is true and false. They can be dangerous if shorted or pinched (that causes a short between cells), but if placen into a sealed container (the whites battery container) they are safe as any other battery. Only concern is the discharge, you got to be carefull not to over discharge them, now for that matter there are two solutions....
1. The easyest, you have to monitor your voltage in the screen of your detector, and stop detecting if the voltage drops to 9V.... that easy.
2. Install a low voltage allarm, once the lipo reaches it's low voltage you hear a beep and you turn off the detector.
Now lipos don't explode if the low voltage is exeeded, they can get damaged internally, and eventually inflate, but that is it. All the videos you see in youtube where lipos go on fire or explode are caused by shorting them.
I have dealt with lipos for a long long time and not ONCE I had a issue with them, you just need to care for them and they will deliver a good performance.
I Didn't plan in using Li-Ion batteries because of the issue of their size, eather too big or too small to fit perfectly in the battery holder, so mayor mod. to it needed to be done and my purpose of all this is to make it as simple as it can be.
Norberto

OP
OP
R

RNB

Jul 3, 2012
So-Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa!!!!!!!!

I strongly recommend you do not use a LiPO battery or provide any plans on using this type of battery. If it decides to fail, well, there goes the detector, the arm and who knows what else.

Feel free to use LiPo's in your RC vehicles if you want. This is what they were designed for which is something that needs extremely high current for short durations. That is the last thing a metal detector needs.

Personally, I feel using the LIPo type of battery in a detector is extremely dangerous.

Why don't you use the Li Ion like what is in the RNB units. They are a whole lot safer and with the right protection device, they will not damage the detector if they fail.

Just my opinion and it is based upon a whole lot of research and personal use of Lithium type batteries.

Reg

SHHHHHHHHHH................lol

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefull Hunter said:
Will a NIMH charger with the micro chip safely charge lipo batteries?

No you need a lipo charger with balancer.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Ok this is a bit off topic.... battery chagers have to be specific for every type of battery, you wouldn't use car charger on a NiMh battery correct? Well the same applies to lipo, life, li-ion, NiMh (Nicd) batteries.
First the voltage is different.
Nicd and NiMh have 1.2 Volts Per Cell
Li-Po has 3.7 Volts Per cell
Li-Fe has 3.3 Volts Per Cell
Li-Ion has 3.6 Volts per cell

Now another mayor problem with lithium batteries is that they shouldn't be over discharged in order to avoid problems with the cells. In order to avoid this each cell has to have the exact same voltage once the charge is over. To do this there is a electronic device (that can be integrated or separate) called balancer wich balances the charge of each cell.
Now that is what you need when charging a Lithium battery, a specific charger, for the chemistry of the lithium and to have it all balanced out.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the Video.. it's long but if you are making this battery you might want to watch it all....

Kaliguy

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett AT Gold
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the Video.. it's long but if you are making this battery you might want to watch it all....

Nice instructional. If I had a not already spent a ridiculous amount of money on name brand batteries I would have tried this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RNB

Jul 3, 2012
So-Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THE WORLD's MOST DANGEROUS BATTERY

I'm Not Showing You This So You Will Go Out And Buy Our Battery Pack...I'm Showing You This So You Can Draw Your Own Conclusion!

PLEASE Watch The Reason RNB Innovations Will Not Ever Use Lithum-Poly in Our Injection Mold Battery Packs

The Li-ion Batteries we Use in our Products are the Same Used in ALL Cell Phones, Power Tools, Cameras, Laptops
You get the drift....They are used for nearly everything you can possibly think of this day and age.
They are used because they are safe, You can plug them in and walk away because the Inteligent Battery
Charger will auto shut off when fully Charged..

You can Use Lithium-ion Until They Go Dead You Don't Need A BuZZer To Let You Know...What If You Have Your Headphones on and Don't HEAR
The Warning BuZZer, Well you can Throw that Battery in The Trash and Start Over!

The Li-Poly Batteries are Great for the Professional Hobbiest that wants that Edge in their Remote RACECAR, HELICOPTOR PLANE or BOAT
But not in a Metal Detector....... IT's JUST TO DANGEROUS!!!

You can DIY a Battery Pack with much safer Batteries than this to save a Buck......

Whites Uses a Lithium-ion in the TDI Pro that costs $200.00 Just for the Battery..Why Don't They Use Lithium-Poly----Do I Really Have To Tell You? I didn't Think So!

Minelab Just Came Out With Their New Detector The CTX 3030 And That's Right They Are Using Lithium-ion----Again, Do I Have to Tell You Why?

Lithium-ion Batteries Are by Far The Best Battery On the Market For Consumer Products Around The World....It' Been Proven!

That's Just my Honest Opinion and Many Others if you Want to Search the Internet...

Thank You For Your Time.
RNB Innovations

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Li-po and li-ion battery cost to make your own battery is very similar. Still buy what you want, but a $150 option is no option for me.
Btw you couldnt have posted a lamest video, guys read before you believe that lipos can catch fire, it just doest happen unless it is provoked...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RNB

Jul 3, 2012
So-Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Li-po and li-ion battery cost to make your own battery is very similar. Still buy what you want, but a $150 option is no option for me.

AW-2200 $134.95 Free Shipping with a Lifetime Guarantee!---------------Priceless

IMG_1012.jpg

Last edited:

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
I've talked to and know Joe and his product. If you are not an RC guy, please don't make the build. How do you explain a melted detector. I went to his mentioned source and can't find his parts at the quoted price. I've built packs if you do use Li Ion with a PCB for safety. Nice responses REG.

I've been through this arguement on my forum. Do what you want.

AW-2200 $134.95 Free Shipping with a Lifetime Guarantee!---------------Priceless

IMG_1012.jpg

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
A lipo battery is just as dangerous as your sand scoop.... both can be deadly...(bet you if I stike you with my sand scoop in your head it becomes a deadly weapon)....
So let's just cut the nonsense on lipos being dangerous... it is obvious that people posting this nonsense only have interess in selling their products or suporting a vendor that is a sponsor on another forum.

Now on the problem that some had not found the things I used to make the battery in the web site I suggest in the video than I will post them here so you can actually search for them and not get lost.

Turnigy nano-tech 2500mAh 3S1P 5~10C Transmitter Lipo Pack $14.99
Hobby King Battery Monitor 3S $3.99
Nylon T-Connectors 10 Pairs (20pc) $3.01
Turnigy balancer & Charger 2S-3S $4.49

Now I am not posting the direct links because I don't want to go against any forum rules so if you go to the web page I say in the video and put the description in the search box on the left you will find this items.

As if it is just a mod for RC freeks.... well is like saying that buying a new battery for your car is a thing just for a mechanic. Anyone can do it and anyone that states otherwise (as I stated before) is eather trying to justify the sale cost of an overpriced product or trying to protect a sponsor of another forum....

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the AW2200 and the AW2900. I use the AW2200 in my Spectra V3i, M6, GMT, & Modified IDX Pro. I have battery packs up the you know what, standard packs, modified packs to charge NiMH, White's NiMH packs and the latest White's Lipo packs. Along with these, I also have all the necessary different chargers. I bought the AW2200 so I can just use it and no others now. What I like about the Aw2200 and charger, is that it's the same price as the White's lipo and charger, it's lighter than the White's by a couple of oz's. It's easier to get out of the detector (no tipping the detector up or adding tape etc. to the White's packs), and most of all, it lasts much longer while mantaining a highter voltage. I was so impressed with the AW2200 that I bought the AW2900 for use in my TDI SL. I'm sure that the AW2200 would have worked just fine in the TDI but when you're way the hell and gone from the truck in the middle of the desert, you don't want to walk back for a battery change so a little insurance is in order. Sure, I could carry an extra batterry, but why? When you're carrying digging tools, GPS, and a gallon of water in a camelback pack, why carry extra weight. Oh, and that fact that the AW2900 uses the same charger is a bonus. Did I mention that they charge quicker than the White's NiNM? There was a time when building my own packs was fun but then I used to like working on my cars, now I'd rather have someone else do it. Can I build myself a pack for less, sure, but not one of this quality. M2CW

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Well tom I am not saying that RNB packs are bad at all... I just would like for them to have a lower price, that is it.
For example if he sold the packs for $90 and say $115 the bigger one I would be the first to advise peope to buy one. That would be more or less twice the price of making your own pack but you wouldn't have the trouble of making it.

Now an important thing in all this is that I have no interess what so ever in RNB packs because I just don't need them, so if it was for me they could cost $50 each that I still wouldn't buy them because I don't need one. But I would like for other whites users to have a cheaper option.

Many people out there would like to have a rechargable battery pack and still don't buy one because they consider it too expensive. What this causes is that people still buy normal alkaline batteries causing more polution in this world. I for once don't buy alkalines and even if my detectors have factory rechargables I still show on the video how you can make your own light weight rechargable battery or if weight is no issue, you can still go out and buy some Sanyo Eneloops XX 2500 Mah AA batteries that would cost you $35 plus $50 for the best AA battery charger and have another rechargable battery option.

So, make your own choice, RNB, AA rechargables, Whites original, or Lipo Home made pack, the important part is that we all have options that will let most of the us have a rechargable battery pack even if we don't have the money to buy a RNB battery and want to spend less than $50, so we can save this planet and still have fun.

:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
R

RNB

Jul 3, 2012
So-Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Luck With Your Li-po !

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
RNB said:
Good Luck With Your Li-po !

Thanks

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking at doing a 3 cell Li-ion myself..... 11.1v either at 2600 or 2900mah. $25 and the rest I have.... I do that RC flight thing as well.... so theres parts in the box already and charger.

I dont have so much reservations against Li-Po... charging has a come along way since they first came out. You really did have to watch them closely back then. We used to charge them up in a cinder block just in case. The only problem I ever had with them was storing them with a charge on them.... thats not a good idea. Thats the only time I had one bloat on me. Never during a charge... or during use. If I were going to do the Li-po I would definitely have a balance charger that discharges as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread