Biggest Baddest Lithium-ion Batt Pack Ever Made For Whites HP2900 mAh

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Mountains of West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Biggest badest battery r & b innovations hp 3100 I have and after you buy all those dbl aa batteries the charging of the regular pack for your machine where u charge this and it keeps going and going you get the picture, I mean that's my take .best 150.00 skins I ever spent.vanzutphen

556baller

Sep 22, 2014
Oceanside, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back from a multiday pack trip with my V3i, first thing I did was order the HP3100 battery pack. I'm done running the NiMH pack, not to mention carrying AA batteries for back up. Can't wait, money well spent...

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got a nice deal on the 2900 pack. I can't wait to see how it does in the v3i. I ran it four 4 hours in the TDI SL and it was still reading 11 volts when I got home - that's impressive!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
LiPo on the Excalibur for about a year now with no issues. Stock battery goes to 14+ Volts, Thunder Power LiPo 16.8 Volts. I have tested the transmit field and there is no performance gain as far as depth. The two things I do like about it, runs about 40 hours on a charge, and she can go to a full charge in about 12 minutes from 12 volt, which is when the Excalibur will give off the weak battery alarm. Was it worth the extra cash, think total for charger, hook ups and Battery were about 150.oo total and I could have done it for less. If I knew now I would not do, but one has to test to learn.

OBN0380.jpg

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a DFX user for years. I'm not an engineer, technician, nor tinkler. I bought a RNB pack & chargers when they first came out for the White's E Series. IMHO they were and are the best, reliable, durable lith-ion packs available for the E series machines, and well worth the price.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
LiPo on the Excalibur for about a year now with no issues. Stock battery goes to 14+ Volts, Thunder Power LiPo 16.8 Volts. I have tested the transmit field and there is no performance gain as far as depth. The two things I do like about it, runs about 40 hours on a charge, and she can go to a full charge in about 12 minutes from 12 volt, which is when the Excalibur will give off the weak battery alarm. Was it worth the extra cash, think total for charger, hook ups and Battery were about 150.oo total and I could have done it for less. If I knew now I would not do, but one has to test to learn.

View attachment 1128268

i just joined the Lipo club as well. 30$ charger. battery cost 14$. Shipping was most. I picked the expensive shipping and it was worth it. Making this stuffs not for everyone. The power supply and input on charger did not match... To start. That took some tweaking to say the least. There's dozens of charging settings. It was costing me a fortune in batteries and now it's a 15 min zap about every 3 weeks. I'm geting a surfmaster soon and have every intention of making one for that. For those that want to save some cash... You hunt a lot...lipo way to go. If you have some one make it for you guys it's probably worth it. I found soldering infuriating lol. Nice thread. Thanks for sharing.

556baller

Sep 22, 2014
Oceanside, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been running the HP3100 for a few weeks now and its been pretty awesome. Notably, this week I forgot one of my travel bags with my charger in it. Luckily, the HP3100 battery life will last me through the entire week while I'm on travel. It totally sucks not having my pinpointed though...

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I purchased a Chinese Lithium ion battery pack for my Sov.
4000mah x 12 volt.
It cost 37.00 Aussie dollars delivered.
It lasted 2 recharges and the capacity was actually approx 2000mah.
The battery became warm just sitting on the table , it had delivered approx 20hours of use up to that point.
I will not touch these with a forty foot barge pole let alone put one in my Sov.
Cheap, nasty and likely to explode at any time.
Probably what bought down MH370.:(

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased a Chinese Lithium ion battery pack for my Sov.
4000mah x 12 volt.
It cost 37.00 Aussie dollars delivered.
It lasted 2 recharges and the capacity was actually approx 2000mah.
The battery became warm just sitting on the table , it had delivered approx 20hours of use up to that point.
I will not touch these with a forty foot barge pole let alone put one in my Sov.
Cheap, nasty and likely to explode at any time.
Probably what bought down MH370.:(

Yeah you get what you pay for. I wouldn't put $37 worth of Chinese crap in any of my detectors.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well to clear up a couple things first RNB said you can use LI-ION until they are dead, well if you did they would never charge again. They have a cut off voltage on protected cells, non-protected go below that and good luck, second neither even brought up the protected mode board for the cells, if you use a smart charger then you only need either protected cells that cut off at a pre-determined voltage or a PCB board. Otherwise you run the risk of discharging the batteries to much, yes norbyx the buzzer was a nice touch but if you don't hear it on a windy day with headphones well to bad go bye another cheap battery pack. Not sure what the RNB has in it, TDI has a PCB board on the Pro and TDI. I wouldn't use LI-PO on any unit I would sale as its not safe you don't know how people will use it. LI-ION explode also so you have to be careful with them. But for yourself if you know the risks its your detector. And having worked with RC stuff and detectors for years as far as batteries go you get what you pay for. Like REG said most Li-Po or Li-Ion from China are junk fake cells with over reported mah some go so far as to hide tiny 800mah cells inside 18650 and call them 5000mah cells.
Last everyone should use the others knowledge if they are wise not just piss each other off, there was a lot of knowledge thrown around in these posts that could be useful to all. Never diss a product you haven't tried I know a lot of people that love the RNB packs, they couldn't solder a wire to anything so building your own is out of the question for them, so that is the spot that RNB fills not the DIY like norbyx or me for that matter. So to sum it up your all right pretty much just different opinions on how to go about it.
Another thing that bothers me is everyone keeps calling these 12 volt packs. There is no such thing as a 12 volt Li-Ion or Lipo pack, there all based on either 3.6 cells or 3.7 cells so its either 10.8 or 11.1 they will charge up to 12.6 or so but there still not 12 volt batteries as this voltage will drop in a hurry, it also was different to make one of these packs for a V3 and one for the TDI sl the V3 doesn't use near the amps the SL does and might last all day, but I can tell you the Tenergy aren't going to last all day in the SL I have used their cells in RC cars and they are always over reported on their actual MAH. I doubt you will get an hour with one of those packs. If your going to all the trouble making a pack at least use quality batteries.

I found this also, I have tried 2650s Nimh batteries in the dry cell pack and 2700s and they Lasted for 6 hours 38 minutes in the TDI SL and the Factory HD2200 pack lasts for 4 hours 20 minutes +/- a couple of minutes, I also bought some 2900s that ARE in fact about 2500s and they lasted 6 hours 11 minutes, If you can get REAL 2900s mah Nimh batteries they should last about 7.5 to 8 hours

I also did a 9 battery conversion and I got over 13 volts but the 2700s still lasted 6 hours 38 minutes because when you up the voltage the Currant Draw goes up too,

I wish RNB would Do some testing and Quote some real World Figures, Because I got quoted minelab Etrac Figures when I asked a dealer about their run time and the etrac uses 1/6 of the power My TDI SL does, So far I have bought 44 AA Batteries In the past Month, And I am not going to buy any more until people stop telling Lie's,

I would warn everyone to STOP Buying these Batteries until we get some Real World Testing and NOT hearsay or Forum Gossip, I have spent weeks doing tests and I am not selling anything, My message to The makers of these RNB Packs, is do some Testing and Not just quote the Figures I have posted or what others post,
I am so fed up with the wild claims that makers quote its like fishermans Tales, But it is cost US money and if they sell them to us then of coarse its going to be better than a standard battery Pack, But a $150 battery pack compared to $20 for 2700 mah batteries is a hard nut to crack when you consider that 2700s will give the TDI SL over 6 and a half hours run time and if the RNB Pack Cant manage 10 Hours constant use then It Is Definitely NOT WORTH The Money, Because the cost of the Batteries I have bought was $140, and that run time equals over 32 Hours,

Just because everyone is Raving about them Does not mean there are not better options out there,

Good Luck,, John

Last edited:

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....I think I will just add a few personal comments and observations of my own here? Things that maybe need to be said, or others can't or won't say?..... I sure think it's a real bright flipping idea to add a "freaking homemade flamethrower"! To my $1,000.00 metal detector???.....Have fun with that NORBYX! I can't even believe you are "recommending" anyone do this? And showing them how?.....I sure hope you will be taking on the responsibility for any damage, including "physical damage" incurred by anyone who has a battery explode under their forearm, or in their face, after following your ridiculous and dangerous instructions on how to build a potential bomb and add it to their detector
.....I think maybe we need to "laugh you off this forum" and remove your video and all pertinent information to it, permanently! How about that "Forum Moderators"?.....Are we advocating "bomb building" now on this forum?.....This guy is advocating we use a highly volatile Li-po battery (a proven incendiary device!) to power our detectors! Is this not a little over the top, I dare say?.....I think it's about time we "cancel this little adventure in insanity"?.....How much more evidence do we need here?.....
This is not for a little car that drives around a track! This will be close enough to you and your loved ones to seriously injure them! Stupid, dangerous and so, so unnecessary. I am not affiliated with RNB, but I do have one of their batteries and use it all the time, with no fear of prematurely "killing myself" and I recommend them highly and remember people, that also includes the charger! I am finished with my rant, but please..... don't try this insane project?.....Wow!

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....I think I will just add a few personal comments and observations of my own here? Things that maybe need to be said, or others can't or won't say?..... I sure think it's a real bright flipping idea to add a "freaking homemade flamethrower"! To my $1,000.00 metal detector???.....Have fun with that NORBYX! I can't even believe you are "recommending" anyone do this? And showing them how?.....I sure hope you will be taking on the responsibility for any damage, including "physical damage" incurred by anyone who has a battery explode under their forearm, or in their face, after following your ridiculous and dangerous instructions on how to build a potential bomb and add it to their detector
.....I think maybe we need to "laugh you off this forum" and remove your video and all pertinent information to it, permanently! How about that "Forum Moderators"?.....Are we advocating "bomb building" now on this forum?.....This guy is advocating we use a highly volatile Li-po battery (a proven incendiary device!) to power our detectors! Is this not a little over the top, I dare say?.....I think it's about time we "cancel this little adventure in insanity"?.....How much more evidence do we need here?.....
This is not for a little car that drives around a track! This will be close enough to you and your loved ones to seriously injure them! Stupid, dangerous and so, so unnecessary. I am not affiliated with RNB, but I do have one of their batteries and use it all the time, with no fear of prematurely "killing myself" and I recommend them highly and remember people, that also includes the charger! I am finished with my rant, but please..... don't try this insane project?.....Wow!

In all Fairness, He is building his set up In an underwater detector, so no chance of fire there Aye, But for the life of me I can't think why a person would need a long run time doing that, except if a person is spending weeks away diving??

McArthurJohn

Jan 12, 2015
McArthur CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX-5000,Minelab GPX-4500, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI Pro, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Bug, Whites V3I,Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just wanted to let all you whites TDI Pro users know that in the near future, there will be an ALTERNATIVE to those hugely overpriced whites TDI Pro and aftermarket battery packs.

ive been running detectors for about 32 years now. ive owned and ran just about everything you can think of detector-wise, and own a total of 11 different detectors. recently i picked up a nice Whites TDI Pro in a trade. it came with the charger and one battery. i spend alot of time out detecting in nevada and arizona, and figured id put the TDI to work this summer, so i needed a extra battery. i went online and started checking them out and almost fell off my frickin chair. i couldnt believe that whites wanted $199 bucks for a battery pack!...i thought i was looking at minelab or something!...i started looking for aftermarket batteries, and found a couple but still, $169 was/is a really over the top price. on a whim, i pulled the shrink wrap off my battery pack, and discovered that theres really not much to them, CERTAINLY not $199 worth!!!!. i started talking to people, sourcing parts,ect and found that its actually CHEAP to build these things even with quality japanese cells ( whites uses cheap $4 a piece retail price samsung batteries in their packs, bulk their probably paying a quarter a pop for them)

ive been doing ALOT of research, talking to other long time detectorists, pickin some brains and spending A LOT of time on email and the phone. soon i will be posting the info,plans,material sources and how to with pictures to build your OWN 8 cell Li-Ion TDI Pro battery packs for UNDER $50 A PACK with PREMIUM JAPANESE CELLS, protection PCB board ect included, and that will charge with your original equipment whites chargers (WHICH BY THE WAY im also looking at another automatic charger that does exactly the same thing as the whites charger, a little better specs,ect for a whopping $28.00..go figure), and according to my calculations, will last days compared to the whites batteries.. no more high dollar aftermarket batteries for the TDI Pro!

for those of you who dont want to have to order all the parts ( which can be ordered seperately by the way there no bulk requirement) , i may also put together a complete "you build" kit with everything you need and instructions, or for those who just cant get the hang of doing it themselves , i may even be persuaded to build them for you for a small fee if you buy the pre-prepared kit from me.

i may even offer pre-built packs VERY reasonable

ive already ordered parts,ect so when they come in, i will let everyone know.

im also working on a very inexpensive minelab GP/GPX battery pack .

McArthur John
AKA
Nuggetdigger

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is America and you can use whatever Batt Pack you want but when you make false remarks saying that you can Buy a 3000mAh 12.5v Rechargeable Batt Pack and a Smart Charger that will work perfect on the Whites Machines then you need to prove it instead of making remarks you can't back up..........
Anybody that is using our Battery Pack will tell you how happy they are with this new technology running at 12.5 volts for days on a single charge instead of 10 volts for a couple of hours..
Whites Makes one of the finest if not the Best Metal Detector in the World and if we can make it perform better than we have accomplished what we set out to do!
Detectorist use many aftermarket probes and coils for that extra advantage we are the first to have that extra Battery Power so you can use those products longer!

Cost Comparison

Whites Battery Heavy Duty Batt Pack .. $79.95
Whites NIMH Charger ........................$24.95
Whites NIMH Charger Stand ------------$49.95
Shipping..............................-.............$10.00
Total...............................................$164.85

HP 2900 Li-ion Batt Pack and 2 hr Home Smart Charger $149.99 FREE SHIPPING
AW 2200 Li-Ion Batt Pack and 2 hr Home Smart Charger $134.95 FREE SHIPPING
If you want a 12v Smart Car Charger they are $39.99 FREE SHIPPING

These Batt Packs and Chargers are Availiable at The Most Powerful Longest Lasting Lithium-ion Batt Packs For Metal Detectors and Metal Detector Super Store - Kellyco Metal Detectors Kellyco is a Sponsor

Batteries and chargers

Best Regards
RNB
Hopefully you're not still using that cheap, mislabeled Chinese charger! What a disappointment that was for the price I paid!!!!

McArthurJohn

Jan 12, 2015
McArthur CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX-5000,Minelab GPX-4500, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI Pro, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Bug, Whites V3I,Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not in any way affiliated with RNB....the packs im putting together are COMPLETELY compatible with the whites home and car charger that TDI/TDI Pro users already have for their units.

i got supplies in and already build 3 packs. i will be putting them thru their paces over the next few days and will let everyone know.

Last edited:

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a penlight holder from Whites for $10 bucks, and an 8 bay AA charger and 8 2300 Mah NIMH batteries for $25, and saved over $100...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread