1-IMG_1553-001.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 3,080
Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For the price tag you sell those battey packs I would rather charge my pack each day, anyhow I don't md more than 4 hours, and if I want to detect more well I would just carry a second pack. With all due respect I can't seem to justify why you charge so much money for a battery pack I mean a Li-ion 12V 3000Mah battery and charger can be found on the internet for $35.

OP
OP
R

RNB

Jul 3, 2012
So-Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is America and you can use whatever Batt Pack you want but when you make false remarks saying that you can Buy a 3000mAh 12.5v Rechargeable Batt Pack and a Smart Charger that will work perfect on the Whites Machines then you need to prove it instead of making remarks you can't back up..........
Anybody that is using our Battery Pack will tell you how happy they are with this new technology running at 12.5 volts for days on a single charge instead of 10 volts for a couple of hours..
Whites Makes one of the finest if not the Best Metal Detector in the World and if we can make it perform better than we have accomplished what we set out to do!
Detectorist use many aftermarket probes and coils for that extra advantage we are the first to have that extra Battery Power so you can use those products longer!

Cost Comparison

Whites Battery Heavy Duty Batt Pack .. $79.95
Whites NIMH Charger ........................$24.95
Whites NIMH Charger Stand ------------$49.95
Shipping..............................-.............$10.00
Total...............................................$164.85

HP 2900 Li-ion Batt Pack and 2 hr Home Smart Charger $149.99 FREE SHIPPING
AW 2200 Li-Ion Batt Pack and 2 hr Home Smart Charger $134.95 FREE SHIPPING
If you want a 12v Smart Car Charger they are $39.99 FREE SHIPPING

These Batt Packs and Chargers are Availiable at http://rnb-innovations.com and Metal Detector Super Store - Kellyco Metal Detectors Kellyco is a Sponsor

Batteries and chargers

Best Regards
RNB

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You are correct on one thing. We all can use whatever battery we like. As for making a false statement, please be wise and read what I have writen. I stated that in the internet you can find a battery with the same specs as the one you sell, with charger, for $35. I didn't say it was whites specific battery.
I posted on another forum how easy it is to make your own battery pack using a whites original alkaline battery holder and have the performance of your battery with a total cost of less than $40 (charger included).

Unfortunately since you are a sponsor on the other forum my post was erased because in that forum you can't post "FACTS" you can just post things that won't go against you paying sponsors so no one can know the truth on a subject.

I am not saying your batteries are bad, not at all. I am just saying they are overpriced. I personally don't care to buy a rechargable battery at whites for 164 USD, I can make a battery pack for myself for 1/4 of that price and have the same performance of your AW2200.

If someone wants to know how to achieve this.... well send me a PM I will gladly explain it to him, I just want people, USERS, to understand that the long lasting battery performance, with "new technology running at 12.5 volts for days on a single charge instead of 10 volts for a couple of hours" can be done with much less ....

BTW I think that you can become a sponsor here too... I don't know if you will have the same priviledges as in the other forum but you can always ask....

supafly136

May 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i think the 2 biggest positives about this battery is that some folks im sure are not wanting to go through the process of making one. and maybe not trusting their skill level.
and also, you can go out in the wilderness for a long long time and not need any electricity.
im goin to arizona soon and will be ordering this pack for just that reason. so far the reviews ive read have been very good on their products. for me, the price seems very reasonable for what i need and the performance.

ill bust a lil review on my results when im bak from the trip.

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Has anyone used this product. Sounds like it might be ok.

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a lot of good reviews on the AW2200 and think that this one will no doubt also get good reviews. I have to agree with norbyx that RNB's products are more than I want to spend. I would be interested in learning how to build my own pack. Otherwise, I will wait for competition to drive the price down to a more manageable level.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Ok I will write a "how to make your own battery" soon so you can all profit from it. I can tell you it will have the same performance and it will cost you about $40 tops.

Kaliguy

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett AT Gold
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I will write a "how to make your own battery" soon so you can all profit from it. I can tell you it will have the same performance and it will cost you about $40 tops.

Please PM me some INFO. I cant see paying more for a battery then the cost of a nice coil upgrade and I would love to have a longer lasting battery.

Thanks

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I built my own li Ion pack to fit White's detectors and it isn't as easy as it might seem. Just getting a pack to fit in the slot and not screw things up is or can be a challenge.

I personally used a White's battery pack and cut things away to allow me to use 3 li-Ion batteries. When done, it worked fine.

However, to do the job right you need to use quality batteries that do measure up to what they say they will do. Personally, I found most Chinese made batteries don't come close to their spec and quite often they will fail prematurely. So, I prefer Japanese quality batteries. This ups the price to about $10 to $12 per battery. Add $10 for the battery housing, $30 for the charger, and then add the cost of shipping and now you can easily be up to $80 or more and you are still not done. If you are smart, you will add the protection module which is at least another $10 to $30 depending upon the quality you buy. A wise choice would be to heat shrink the battery assembly, so there is another $5 to $10 for that material. Want to change battery assemblies in the housing you modified, then a connector of $2 to $5 or more is needed. '

Like I said, I have one of these units built up but I did so before I found out RNB was bulding them. Personally, I will let someone else build them now since they do fit nicer. Remember, if you build them up and wire them wrong, you will let the smoke out of the IC's, then the cost to fix the detector is another fun thing to add to the bill.

So, feel free to build your own if that is what you want to do.

Personally, I have been there and done that. Now, I am in the process of trying one of the 2900 models now. If it works like I feel it will, I will be buying a spare.

Certain personal issues prevented me from trying it sooner, but I finally got those issues out of the way and I now hope to give it a good workout by using it in my TDI SL or one of my other White's units like my MXT, GM4, or my GMT.

Reg

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
I built my own li Ion pack to fit White's detectors and it isn't as easy as it might seem. Just getting a pack to fit in the slot and not screw things up is or can be a challenge.

I personally used a White's battery pack and cut things away to allow me to use 3 li-Ion batteries. When done, it worked fine.

However, to do the job right you need to use quality batteries that do measure up to what they say they will do. Personally, I found most Chinese made batteries don't come close to their spec and quite often they will fail prematurely. So, I prefer Japanese quality batteries. This ups the price to about $10 to $12 per battery. Add $10 for the battery housing, $30 for the charger, and then add the cost of shipping and now you can easily be up to $80 or more and you are still not done. If you are smart, you will add the protection module which is at least another $10 to $30 depending upon the quality you buy. A wise choice would be to heat shrink the battery assembly, so there is another $5 to $10 for that material. Want to change battery assemblies in the housing you modified, then a connector of $2 to $5 or more is needed. '

Like I said, I have one of these units built up but I did so before I found out RNB was bulding them. Personally, I will let someone else build them now since they do fit nicer. Remember, if you build them up and wire them wrong, you will let the smoke out of the IC's, then the cost to fix the detector is another fun thing to add to the bill.

So, feel free to build your own if that is what you want to do.

Personally, I have been there and done that. Now, I am in the process of trying one of the 2900 models now. If it works like I feel it will, I will be buying a spare.

Certain personal issues prevented me from trying it sooner, but I finally got those issues out of the way and I now hope to give it a good workout by using it in my TDI SL or one of my other White's units like my MXT, GM4, or my GMT.

Reg
My god it seems you work for RNB... with the numbers you have than it is obvious that eather you don't know what you are doing or know very little of batteries and what is needed to make them work.
Ok let's make some numbers since you seem to like them. Battery Cost $15 Battery charger as low as $5 Heatshrink tubing $0.25 Battery connectors $2 Shipping of all the items $10 So total spend so far $32.25 Now if you have a battery holder you are basically done, If you need an extra holder that will make it $10 extra from whites, Let's put another $5 shipping for the holder makes a grand total of $47.25
I don't see how you came up with your numbers, probably you buy in Harrods or some other fancy store where things cost much more.
So I keep my statement on a normal situation your cost will be less than $40 to make your rechargable battery if you are willing to use the AA battery pack supplied by whites. If you don't than the cost might go to a Max of $50.... COMPARE that to $150+ of the RNB and I can confortably have 3 Battery packs ready for work with 2500Mah each and that would still make a total of 7500mah of power for the same price you are going to buy your 2900Mah.... I call my method a winner in any situation.

Next week I will be making a video on how to make your own battery pack, in the video there will be a clear explanation on where you should buy your parts.

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel free to build one that fits the MXT or more specifically, the TDI SL, and then post your specific's including where you purchased your parts. I posted my specifics and I would be happy to post a pic of mine. As for where I purchased my parts, quite a bit came off Ebay.

BTW, if you think you can buy the proper battery charger for $15 lets see the facts. The proper charger for Li Ion needs to limit the voltage and I have never seen one for the price you stated. A good quality battery is $10+ for the 2800ma or more ma. Yes, you can buy them for less but they are Chinese knockoff's. Been there, done that and won't do it again.

You see, I have already done this so I could use Li Ion batteries in my TDI SL.

I will be happy to take a pic of mine and post it. Let's see a pic of your's.

One more thing, I don't work for or have any interest in RNB.

As for knowing what I am doing, well, I assure you those who know the TDI well, know who I am as well as does most of the bettery known nugget hunters in AZ. In fact, Bill Southern of the Nuggetshooter forum asked me to write an article on how PI's work. That article is now well known world wide. Fee free to google "Understanding the PI Metal detector". I wrote that many years ago, but it still works.

As for the TDI, well, do a little research and you will find where I was the first one to build and use the single tone mode now called the conductivity switch mode on the TDI. I did this before the TDI even existed and pleaded with the company to add the feature to the TDI. Feel free to search the PI Technology forum where I Posted some specifics about this feature that I added to my GS 5, which, btw, was the foundation for the TDI.

Oh, others accused me of working for Whites and that is not the case either.

So, go ahead and build away. Lets see your results. Like I said, I will be happy to post a pic of mine.

I have been there and done that when it comes to building a working Li Ion battery pack for my TDI SL. Now it is your turn.

Reg

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Reg I never sead you didn't know your TDI, I just stated that you didn't know the batteries.

Been there done that.... Well congratulations. I am not a long time metal detectorist as you might be but I run RC electric cars, boats and airplanes, since the '80 so... I have been searching and working with batteries since way before the NiMh batteries came into the market (first ones were NiCd). So Li-Ion, Li-po ecc..ecc... are relatively new but I have had them since the start. And yes I know what kind of a charger you need to work on this batteries, actually mine is not a $5 one but it's a Hyperion dual charger that costs $300 AND needs a power supply to run it that costs another $100.... So I know what I am talking about.

I will post my setup as soon as I have it since I am waiting for it to clear customs next week, and as soon as I have it I will be making a video on how to build your own rechargable pack for less than $40.

BTW I don't wan't to dissapoint you but 99% of the batteries now days are made in china, and it's just a matter of getting a decent brand, but if you look close enough you will find that most of them are made there, even the mayor brand ones.

Only thing I have to add is that I don't think that RNB batteries are bad at all.... I just think they are overpriced big time, they base their price on the price of the original rechargables and state they cost less than the original whites, that might be true, but it is also true that if I have a cost of $50 making a battery from scratch, their cost is obviously less than that since I don't buy in quantities, If they sold their batteries for say $80 I wouldn't even have tried to make my own battery, probably I would have bought theirs and that is it, but since there are always people that want to earn more than what is fair, than I use my head to save a few bucks.
I sure take my time to go out metal detecting and sometimes come back home after a 6 hour day detectin with less than $10 worth of change, I might just spend 1 hour building a battery that will save me $100..... that translated in detecting hours might be around 50.... and since time is money and vice versa... you get it. ..

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using Li Ion batteries for years also. I started using them in my PI's even before the GS 5 existed and I built my own ground balancing PI So I am familiar with the Li Ion type of battery also.

Yes, you can buy some of the batteries still made in Japan. Check out the Panasonic ones that sell for $10 apiece on Ebay. Sanyo are still made in Japan if I am not mistaken. I also buy the ones with tabs to make it easier to solder.

Yes, I have tried many of the Chinese units you can buy for $5 a piece and had several of them fail. The worst are the 16500 size. I won't use them again. The 18650 work the best. I even tried the individual protected Li Ion types and had a few of them fail, so I quit using them.

Now, I even tried some of the 12 volt pre-made packs such as those by Tenergy and had two of them fail. I paid about $30 for the pack and it lasted weeks. My 12V pack I build for my SL has lasted over a year now and I used Samsung batteries.

I also use the protective module in my pack. I paid about $10 from Battery Space. I bought my smart charger off Ebay. The model was the Tenergy Li Ion smart charger, price $24 plus shipping.

On my pack I used the same connector I use on my PI's I modified. Those connectors with wire are standard size Tamiya types that I do buy in bulk to reduce the cost. I have been using them for years.

You say you have been using the batteries for years. Well, I suspect you buy in quantity which does reduce the cost per unit, but for the average guy who buys just enough to build one, the price goes up in a hurry.

As I said, I have been there and done that. Yes, I can build a pack cheaper than what it cost to buy the RNB unit. What I do like about his is the RNB slides in easier than my modified Whites battery case. As I said, I can build one a little cheaper, but having done that for years, I decided to let someone else do it now. Since RNB is building them and I have been assured he is using quality parts, I decided to use them rather than build my own. This gives me more time to figure out new designs and mods for the detector as well as more time hunting.

If I ever have one of his batteries fail, I will take it apart to see what happened just like I do my own that I make.

Again, I don't work for or have any vested interest in RNB or Whites for that matter. Yes, I have been accused by a lot of people of working for Whites. Even your buddy Terry Soloman has accused me of working for White's.

Reg

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Norbyx,

It is my turn to pick on you now since you feel it is foolish to pay extra for a factory made Li Ion setup. So, here goes. To begin, you mentioned a person could use a $5 charger, but you use a $300 that even needs a $100 supply.

I must of missed something because if the cheap one is good enough for everyone else, why change???? Worse yet, you spend $400 plus for a charger setup and then say the RNB battery is expensive????? Hmmmmm.

See how easy it is to twist things?? I really am not trying to pick on you, but in my opinion, the RNB batteries are not as expensive as you might feel they are. Remember, the owner of RNB has a business, overhead, advertizing, and all that goes with trying to produce a product. He has to back his produce if he does have a failure. None of that is free, so that cost has to be factored in. Then there is selling the units wholesale to dealers, so that drops the price he can charge the dealer. After all, no one is going to pay more to a dealer if they can get it for a lower price from the company. Also, no dealer is going to stock a battery they can't make some profit on.

As for the RNB battery by itself, they are cheaper than the battery and charger assembly. So, a second battery does cost less.

Now as for building a single battery setup that an individual might do, well, I would appreciate it if you would do that and include all the charges for shipping for the components and see where it ends up.

Before I bought the RNB unit, I called and talked to the owner of the company and grilled him on the specifics of his battery because I care about my equipment. Like you, I have gone through trying junk batteries and decided I don't need them. On the other side of the coin, I also felt I wanted to use Li Ion batteries in my TDI SL.

I agree, anyone can build up a different battery pack but they better put it some form of a case to make sure it doesn't leak and can't touch the pc board in any way. Rather than try to build a plastic housing with the proper connections to the pc board, I elected to take a factory battery housing and modify it to hold 3 of the right size Li Ion batteries, which are the 18650 size. That took some chopping and even then, I elected to trim off the top part of the case enough for the batteries to fit. I then had to glue a thin piece of plastic on top to keep the batteries from leaving the housing.

Now, are you thinking about packing a package of the parts in a kit and selling them? Will you pay for repairs if someone takes your plans and messes up and melts down their detector? It is easy to do. I am assuming you will use 18650 size batteries which are the ones rated to 2900 ma. I absolutely don't recommend using the 14500 size. Went through a bunch of them with close to half simply failing prematurely. Won't make that mistake again.

As for guys building up packs, I remember a guy sent me a GS 4 and asked me to fix it because he tried to convert his battery setup to a Li Ion type but when he plugged in his battery he didn't notice the Tamiya connector was wired differently than the one he had installed on his detector. Yes, some Tamiya's come with the red wire on the left and others come with the red wire on the right. Don't match things correctly, and you let the smoke out, just like the GS 4 owner did. Oh yeah, he blamed the guy who sold the connectors to him.

Everyone likes to save money so I can understand your willingness to help those who want to try. I wish you the best and hope no one tries to come after you because their detector quit working.

BTW, this is why I don't build coils for others or battery packs for others for that matter. So, I will agree with you that you can save money by building your own. Having already done that and knowing the problems involved, I will still buy the more expensive RNB system for my preferred detectors and I have a bunch of detectors (40 maybe), but only a handful of them are White's units.

Reg

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Reg
In concern of the charger I have it is so expensive because of the specs it has. I didn't buy the charger to make the MD battery, I had it before and I use it for my rc batteries, where sometimes you need speed to charge a battery in 15 min that would take a normal charger over an hour to do the job, and you need it to do it right and not bust your battery so it won't last. Anyhow I am not going to use a li-ion battery for this project, I am going to use a lipo. Actually it's a turnigy nano tech 3s1p 5~10C pack, so it will have a size just as the space I have in the whites box, 106 x 50 x 14mm in size and delivering 11.1+ volts.
You will see the video, it's going to be very clear on how to make them.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa!!!!!!!!

I strongly recommend you do not use a LiPO battery or provide any plans on using this type of battery. If it decides to fail, well, there goes the detector, the arm and who knows what else.

Feel free to use LiPo's in your RC vehicles if you want. This is what they were designed for which is something that needs extremely high current for short durations. That is the last thing a metal detector needs.

Personally, I feel using the LIPo type of battery in a detector is extremely dangerous.

Why don't you use the Li Ion like what is in the RNB units. They are a whole lot safer and with the right protection device, they will not damage the detector if they fail.

Just my opinion and it is based upon a whole lot of research and personal use of Lithium type batteries.

Reg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread