Do you rehunt with a new coil?

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pickup up a new MXT Pro 2 weeks ago have not been able to use it yet, too hot and ground too hard, 99 degrees here in CNY today :unhappysmiley:. Reading a lot though.
Anyway a question for you: Do you go over ground again when you buy a new coil? Have you found things with the new coil that your first coil did not?
I am asking again because my MXT Pro came with the 950 coil and I am still debating whether to go to a 10” DD coil. I will do homes, beaches “fresh water only”. I guess I don't want to go over the same ground again IF I know the coil is the best I can get.
Thanks

Stashu

Last edited:

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never hurts to go over an area multiple times. Think about that a coin might be a 1 sq. in. area. How many sq. in. areas do you think you missed on each and every hunt. Believe me, no matter how thorough you think you are, you're not covering every sq. in. of ground when you hunt.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
have you thought about a smaller DD coil the Whites 5.3 will get inbetween the multi signals and sort out the junk better the the bigger 10"DD coil ...after all you allready have a 9 1/2 " con.coil on the machine ...just a thought
Gary

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I do and I always stuff coins. When you swing the coil you walk at a normal pace or at least I do. Next hunt same area, I will change 90 degrees. I am always amazed, "how did I miss that"? But then, throw in weather/soil conditions i.e. wet, dry etc....

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
switching coils for just 1 more inch gives you all new ground to hunt just a different level,and as G.A.P stated a smaller coil will find you targets that the larger coils masked

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep with the D2 coil being a DD type coil you might very well find something missed by masking as its easy to get multiple targets under the 950 coil. HH

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I say it all depends on the area you hunted before. If it is clean, very little trash, than a 5.3 wouldn't be my choice. If you switch to a bigger coil than you will gain depth so yes hunting the same area will most likely give you new finds.
I think there is a coil for every situation and even if expensive it isn't a bad idea to have various coils for the same machine.
I for once have the 10DD, 8DD, 10x6DD and 5.3DD (yeah no concentrics) and I think that every coil has it's own use. It's like a painter with just one paint brush, it would just not work, you need specific things for specific jobs.

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for your replies--much appreciated.

Stashu

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't ground you missed on the surface but down there at depths where some of the older coins are. Unless you are over lapping less than half a coil width you are missing ground. Doesm't matter which size coil your using, you need to over lap if you want to cover the area.
232.jpg

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007
Sandman, your picture speaks volumes. I will say that I have rehunted many, many spots by gridding and using a different direction pattern on the second and third hunts. I am always amazed at what I missed in previous hunts. The late, great Bill Revis wrote an excellent article on this type of hunting many years ago in Lost Treasure. When I read that article, I knew he was "spot" on. This type of hunting is not for everyone, but if you are patient enough, it will produce.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RL OH said:
Sandman, your picture speaks volumes. I will say that I have rehunted many, many spots by gridding and using a different direction pattern on the second and third hunts. I am always amazed at what I missed in previous hunts. The late, great Bill Revis wrote an excellent article on this type of hunting many years ago in Lost Treasure. When I read that article, I knew he was "spot" on. This type of hunting is not for everyone, but if you are patient enough, it will produce.

I know of a few saw dust piles in old parks that in years past for family reunions all the men of the family saved all the sawdust to dump with change from their pockets for the kids to find. No matter how many times I hunt these piles I still find Wheaties and Indianheads just because of the angle or what ever. Some times even a few Merc's too.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found more going to a smaller coil due to masking in trashy spots

Jim in PA

Greenie
Oct 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, DFX, M6; coils - 10DD, super 12, 10X12SEF, 6X10DD, 4X6DD, 950, 6DD...SpectraSound wireless headphones...Garrett Pro Pointer...Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most definitely....there is small productive, very trashy spot I first hunted with the 10DD and found a lot of coins. Then I re-hunted it with the 6X10 and found a lot more coins. Then I re-hunted it again with the 6"DD coil and found some more. I just got a 4X6DD last week and will probably hit it again with that coil sometime just to see what else turns up.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll never forget when I first bought my D2 coil for my MXT it was like putting a supercharger on it in my opinion. I was getting signals I never heard before, I remember one park in particular where with my stock coil it was pretty much target free for the most part until I put the D2 on it, then there was a new layer of targets that had just been waiting down there for me. I only use two coils on my V3i now and they are the D2 and 4x6shooter.

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I was at a lake beach the last 2 trips and it seem like every time i got near a big patch of rocks i started finding coins in an area that was heavily detected. Anyways i slowed down and a did the rock and mud next to them, deep in the mud was 14K gold bracelet. I dont really detect in much of a pattern unlesss i find something, im just to slow and to much area to cover. But im going to do the same thing because of what im finding, trying another coil and researching. We also had one spot last winter, a 10' play area. I detected once then my uncle detected then i went back again with gain cranked and a shovel to slowly dig down and we kept finding stuff.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YES!!!! When I bought my MXT PRO I got the 10x12 SEF coil and went back to a park that I gridded a small part of. It was picked clean. With the new coil I found several more wheat pennies and a couple mercury dimes.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would recommend you to go for a smaller coil, if you already have the 950 a 5.3 or a 6x10dd can do more for you than the 10dd

About re-hunting sites that depends: is it a trashy site? have you already found something there? if the answer is yes, I would do it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread