What do you guys think of the MXT detectors?

Aug 28, 2012
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT series of detectors... are they good? Whats the major differences between the various versions? I have a Garrett Treasure Ace 300 (around year 2000) and it is an annoying machine (though it does find quite a bit of stuff....)... I want a machine that has the VDI and uses the various tones to tell you what you're over.... would the MXT be a good machine?

My Garrett basically only has a mono noise and beeps when you're over a target... don't the higher end machines have some sort of continuous noise that keeps playing when you're over something? Is that desirable? Or is the single beep that the 300 has, a standard on many machines?

albertv

Jun 7, 2010
I have the MXT pro and it's an excellent all around machine . It can be set up with tones or without, ground balance, night light , etc. The regular mxt only has one tone or can be set up in relic mode I believe and it will give you 2 tones. The ace doesn't even come close. The mxt/pro has the threshhold sound to let you know if there is something there that you might have disc out. Excellent detector plus the White's customer service is second to none.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't trade my MXT for any other detector I can get silver dimes at 10"+ with some at 12", mine doesn't have the tone ID(multiple tones) like the MXTpro does so I have to look at the screen more, but those really deep coins usually don't give a VDI like they would at 8" or less but you always want to dig those really deep whisper targets. The D2 coil (whites 10"DD coil) is killer on the deep stuff, also make sure to get a good set of headphones that will let you hear deeper targets than the cheaper sets. HH

L

l2hunt

hey charles, may as well give some of my thoughts. first really do not know anything about the garret brand but i have the m6 machine and really enjoy it, it's designated as a coin/jewelry machine and it definitely finds the coins and found some nice silver rings as well. the m6 and the mtx operate in the 14khz freq. so their capability are compatible, however as you might already know the mxt also has the prospecting and relic programs. so what fits your needs?? for me it was the m6 just because due to my circumstances i pretty much knew i wouldn't be using those two programs. also love the multi tone features, i hardly ever look at the screen, very nice.....anyway a few basics for you and good luck, maybe some of the more experienced folks can give you more info HH

OP
OP
C
Aug 28, 2012
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll look into the M6... gotta save some though... my student loans are sucking me dry :/

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a mxt 300 and I like it a lot. Unfortunately it doesn't get much use since I got the v3i but it is a great detector.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is a fine detector once you learn to understand it which will take a little time & practice. I went with the MXT over the M6 for basically the prospecting & relic mode programs + I'm happy I did!

I went with the MXT over the MXT Pro because #1 I was going to save a good $100 to use to upgrade the stock 950 Eclipse coil to the 10" D2 which is easily better than the stock MXT Pro's coil & especially in trashy areas! #2 IMO a back lit screen only uses up more of your batteries & digging for targets in the dark isn't easy or that fun anyway. #3 I didn't think I cared about multi tones but not having them makes you have to look at the screen more than you should have to, relic mode helps some but the 2 tones aren't really enough IMO but I also haven't experimented with this mode enough yet so the jury is still out on it.

You really can't go wrong on any detector over $600 or $700 as they don't cost that much because they don't work. Whites, Garrett, Minelab, Fischer, Toresco all will fill the needs of most people but I can't say this enough... 1/2 the battle is learning to understand the detector you choose & use.

JanThorCro

Aug 29, 2012
The Land of Captain Crunch
Detector(s) used
DFX

Starting to understand the machine. :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charles, Get the M-6 and save yourself some money! God Bless Chris

The MXT will hear deeper than the M6 because of the threshold.

I'd go with the MXT Pro for the "Ground Grab" and the backlight.

There is a whites dealer that offers a layaway plan. PM me if you want there info.

Jeff Foster has a great book on the MXT.

If your gonna do much detecting you won't regret the MXT or MXT Pro.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the only negative point about the MTX for me is weight, though it's pretty well balance. Very fun and capable detector to use

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charles the MXT series is one of White's best selling machines. What type of hunting are you going to be doing? Big difference between coin and beach hunting as far as machines. I have the MXT PRO and will never let it go. I sold my DFX to get it mainly because I mostly hunt civil war and colonial relics and some areas I hunt are really hot ground and the MXT series seem to do better there. If you are mainly going to be hunting coins I would start off with the M6 as it is much cheaper yet has the things you are looking for and it is a killer coin machine. Especially if funds are short. If you can afford more then the MXT PRO or the DFX will be a better choice. I have paid off every machine I have owned pretty quickly with my finds. Also check out used machines as well. You can get some pretty good deals on machines. I bought my DFX from a guy that thought it was too complicated for him. He only used it one time and still had nearly full warranty on it. I sold it three years later for more than what I paid for it. I also just bought a used TDI at an incredible low price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread