LookandSee

Oct 19, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Folks,

I had a question regarding discrimination iron, hot rocks, and other junk while nugget shooting.

Which detector (GMT or MXT) has a more accurate Iron/Hot Rock/Junk discrimination ability.

I know that the GMT has the (trigger squeezed) analyze function. Does the MXT have a similiar ability and same accuracy ?

I guess what I am wondering is while nugget detecting which detector will have me digging less junk while not missing nuggets at the same time?

Also, will the MXT disregard hot rocks as easily and the GMT ?

Thanks !

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obviously the MXT has better discrimination, because it is NOT a gold nugget hunter. Serious gold nugget hunters operate their VLF machines in All Metal, all the time. Most of us only use our GMT, Lobo Super Traq, or Goldbug II, when we are looking for small, shallow gold. When we are trying to find anything deeper and larger than 0.5grams, we pull out our Minelab SD and GPX machines, which are pulse induction machines. If you really want to find a gold nugget, use the right machine and forget about trying to avoid hot rocks, cold rocks, bullets, barbed wire, old bean cans, truck bumpers - whatever.

Nuggetshooting is THE hardest form of metal detecting, and there are no shortcuts..

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the price of the GMT and can it locate flour size gold

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the price of the GMT and can it locate flour size gold

No detector can indicate flour gold, unless the flour is packed together densely, which doesn't happen in nature.
Current list price on a GMT is about $800.00. Someintes dealers have special deals that lower the price.
Jim

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
191_9174.JPG Shaggy21, here's a picture of the small gold that I find with my White's GMT. Some of it was under 6" to 8" of solid rock and the machine still picked it up. The GMT is a Gold detecting machine and though some folks have tried it with coins there are way better machines for coins. I've found the equivalent of a truck bumper with my GMT, a massive counterweight from an ore crushing mill, but the 'sound' for things other than gold is different so one needs to train their ears! Build a test garden of lead split shot, the detector thinks lead is gold, buried at different depths with plenty of swinging room between each one and practice, practice, practice and when you get tired of doing that go to the movies and come back home to practice more...63bkpkr

MetalDetectMatt

Oct 24, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously the MXT has better discrimination, because it is NOT a gold nugget hunter. Serious gold nugget hunters operate their VLF machines in All Metal, all the time. Most of us only use our GMT, Lobo Super Traq, or Goldbug II, when we are looking for small, shallow gold. When we are trying to find anything deeper and larger than 0.5grams, we pull out our Minelab SD and GPX machines, which are pulse induction machines. If you really want to find a gold nugget, use the right machine and forget about trying to avoid hot rocks, cold rocks, bullets, barbed wire, old bean cans, truck bumpers - whatever.

Nuggetshooting is THE hardest form of metal detecting, and there are no shortcuts..

Hmm, with your experience would you say the lobo can find gold bigger then 0.5g, but it's better to use gpx etc. Or is the lobo not good for larger gold?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, with your experience would you say the lobo can find gold bigger then 0.5g, but it's better to use gpx etc. Or is the lobo not good for larger gold?
No the Lobo can find the smaller gold and the larger gold deeper. The Pulse MD's can find the smaller stuff deeper but still waste your time on trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread