Mxt frustration

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can anyone help?? I just got an mxt and I really like it but haven't used one before, I went to a pretty site and my detector was giving me so many different reads that I wasn't sure what to dig. The VDI was all over the road, my question is- should I get a better coil for better discrimination in high traffic areas??? It has a950 on it already but it's not separating well enough. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you're in a very high trash area, the 4x6 shooter coil is a good one to use in an area like that.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try an area that has less trash like left field of a baseball field or a soccer field. Go slowly with the coil and dig a good repeatable signal. Thats a good detector so take time with it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I'm out with my mxt and get a target that's all over the board
pin point the target for dept if it's 2 or 3 inches deep
it's probably garbage
it will lock on to a good target a the great dept
pin point the area for closer buy targets
to take out another variable,
there is a book on the mxt out ther some ware

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
liftloop said:
when I'm out with my mxt and get a target that's all over the board
pin point the target for dept if it's 2 or 3 inches deep
it's probably garbage
it will lock on to a good target a the great dept
pin point the area for closer buy targets
to take out another variable,
there is a book on the mxt out ther some ware

Thxs liftloop! Do you happen to know the name of that book??
Thxs matt

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Landlord Jim said:
Try an area that has less trash like left field of a baseball field or a soccer field. Go slowly with the coil and dig a good repeatable signal. Thats a good detector so take time with it.

Thxs Jim but how much stuff are you going to find in left field, sounds like looking for the key to the batters box!! The only way your going to find anything good is to go to high traffic areas but thanks for the advice!! Good luck

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Giant056 said:
It sounds like you're in a very high trash area, the 4x6 shooter coil is a good one to use in an area like that.

There are so many different sizes of coils on the market, hard to choose the right one. How are the Double D coils?? Or the 5.3 coils?? Is the small the better in high trash areas??

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thxs Jim but how much stuff are you going to find in left field, sounds like looking for the key to the batters box!! The only way your going to find anything good is to go to high traffic areas but thanks for the advice!! Good luck

Ball fields are great places to hunt. They ARE high traffic areas. That plus people jumping, sliding & bumping make it prime for lost items.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are so many different sizes of coils on the market, hard to choose the right one. How are the Double D coils?? Or the 5.3 coils?? Is the small the better in high trash areas??

The 5.3 and the 4x6dd are great coils for high trash areas. Can't go wrong with either. I have both, I prefer the 4x6. I know other people that have both and some like the 5.3 better.

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
fella said:
The 5.3 and the 4x6dd are great coils for high trash areas. Can't go wrong with either. I have both, I prefer the 4x6. I know other people that have both and some like the 5.3 better.

Ok great thanks for the tips!!

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
whiteriver23 said:
That book is "The MXT Edge" by Jeff Foster

Great thxs for the name! I appreciate it. Good luck!!

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been looking for that book but it seems its no where to be found. . . anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

PTP

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello mjarvis, I live about 1/2 hr from you and have an assortment of MXT coils if you want to try them out on the field,you can also borrow my book (the MXT edge) until you get your machine dialed in. PM me if your interested

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello mjarvis, I live about 1/2 hr from you and have an assortment of MXT coils if you want to try them out on the field,you can also borrow my book (the MXT edge) until you get your machine dialed in. PM me if your interested

Dale GM, you are the kind of person that makes this forum a great place. My hat is off to you for personally helping another member.

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DaleGM said:

Hello Dale, thank you for extending yourself that's very cool of you. I'm interested in taking you up on that. Do you have an MXT?. I've had mine for about a month and having alittle trouble dialing it in. So any help would be much appreciated.
Thxs mjarvis

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Dale, thank you for extending yourself that's very cool of you. I'm interested in taking you up on that. Do you have an MXT?. I've had mine for about a month and having alittle trouble dialing it in. So any help would be much appreciated.
Thxs mjarvis
Hello Matt.......PM sent

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love this forum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions