Just bought aWhites DFX E series...

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
I saw an ad for a whites DFX spectrum E on Craigs List. The detector was unused!!! Still in the box, not a scratch or nick anywhere, and yes I looked it over very carefully! The fellow that owned it had shoulder surgery right after he bought it! I think he was happy to see it go to someone local who would put it to good use. I paid $750 for it with the carry bag and head phones plus two battery packs , he said he paid about $1200 for it..... Does this sound like a good deal for $750 or should I have held off for a better deal? Now I gotta figure out to use it... but it does have the CD and owners manual... HH M.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a good price for an excellent detector. Use the preset programs for a while then start to modify them with the various settings. I have about 3-4000 hours on mine and I LOVE it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX is a fine detector that will find anything you can think of. As Jim says, stick to the preset programs for awhile.

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got a great detector! It's exactly the same detector as the newer DFX 300. The 300 just comes with a different standard coil. Be careful though. You may like the DFX so well that your other detectors spend most of the time gathering dust.

Storm

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw an ad for a whites DFX spectrum E on Craigs List. The detector was unused!!! Still in the box, not a scratch or nick anywhere, and yes I looked it over very carefully! The fellow that owned it had shoulder surgery right after he bought it! I think he was happy to see it go to someone local who would put it to good use. I paid $750 for it with the carry bag and head phones plus two battery packs , he said he paid about $1200 for it..... Does this sound like a good deal for $750 or should I have held off for a better deal? Now I gotta figure out to use it... but it does have the CD and owners manual... HH M.
Great machine!, and a good deal on it. Pick up a copy of Jeff Foster's book "Digging Deeper with the DFX"...you'll be an expert in no time.
Jim

skelly

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Perry, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got a DFX myself. I found Jeff Foster's book at my local White's dealer. Wow! It goes into every user configurable feature and explains the science behind it. Once I get comfortable with the pre-set programs, I plan on tailoring the settings to my type of detecting and my local soil type. Have fun!

Jay

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's don't mess around.....

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to say, you got taken. But not to worry, I'll take that worthless thing off your hands for what you paid for it, so no harm done. ;)

You got very, very lucky. The price isn't necessarily a steal - it's a fair price, but to get a "used" detector in pristine condition at a used detector price is awesome!
Jeff Foster's book is great, but Jimmy Sierra has a DFX book out as well. You can often get a copy for free (call White's in Sweet Home and ask). Jimmy's book is less about theory and more about real world usage. It's a great way to get started before you dive into Jeff's book.

Again, congratulations, and could you maybe check to see the seller has another DFX laying around the house? :D

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a dfx any tips ?

Like posted above start with presets the 2 books mentioned are very helpful as well as forums... I also have a DFX and love it I have the 300 coil and the 950 coils for it but want to try the 6X10 coil to see how it is

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will like the 6x10 if you have much in the way of trash. However, it is not lighter than the 950 which surprised me.. It typically never leaves the machine for my normal park/school hunting.. 950 for beach and U13 for clean well trimmed grass areas.. 4x6 for small nail infested areas where good stuff may be lurking..

If I had just 2 coils,.. 950 and 6x10 done!

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will like the 6x10 if you have much in the way of trash. However, it is not lighter than the 950 which surprised me.. It typically never leaves the machine for my normal park/school hunting.. 950 for beach and U13 for clean well trimmed grass areas.. 4x6 for small nail infested areas where good stuff may be lurking..

If I had just 2 coils,.. 950 and 6x10 done!

I have a 4X6 but rarely use it I also have the 10" 300 coil that came with the detector it is a nice coil gets deep and does well on discrimination it is a bit heavy but if you shorten the rod length in closer to you it is not bad I use the 950 the most most areas I detect are heavy trash around old yards old buildings which are full of nails and I do parks that are full of pull tabs and foil.. hoping do some cellar holes this spring and I know they will be trashy would like to have a 6X10 to try for that

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Whites DFX Spectrum E Series Also. It has the 950 eclipse coil. Does anyone know if that can be submerged in shallow creeks? If not, what coil would work best? Thank You!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil can be but make sure the control box doesn't get wet. HH
I have a Whites DFX Spectrum E Series Also. It has the 950 eclipse coil. Does anyone know if that can be submerged in shallow creeks? If not, what coil would work best? Thank You!

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
How anyone can say used on an item still in a box is slightly bizzare, a great deal congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice price for an excellent detector, congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread