fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few of you may remember me posting last year whether I should keep my Garrett At Pro or go with the DFX or DFX 300 that all my hunting buddies are using (and running circles around me with).

Well, I finally made the leap and bought a brand new DFX 300. These are the settings I use so far: Coins/Jewelry preset (only had it a week), turned on the D.C. Phase and V.C.O. option. I went to work over areas of the beach across the street that I have gone over a million times with my ATP. Bingo! Regular and class rings, necklaces, Wheaties...you name it...were filling my pouch.

I do have some questions however.

While pinpointing a good, solid target with D.C. Phase on, the number in the top right corner should be positive. I field tested this a million times. Iron, pulltabs, foil, etc., all show up in the negatives, usually -70 to -95. Coins (both clad and silver) jewelry, etc., show up in the positive range of numbers.

Two very strange things have been happening though in the last 3 or so days. If I sweep over a quarter, I get a good, solid tone, VDI, and graph. However, when I pull the trigger to pinpoint and slowly come in with the coil over the target....everything goes silent...even the background threshold noise. Completely silent. Once I've swept to the opposite side of the quarter, all the regular sounds come back. Its only when I've pulled the trigger and pinpointed. Also, while directly over the quarter (and I've tried various quarters), I get a negative number in the top right hand corner. What the...?

The other issue is small to medium gold rings. When I sweep over them, I get a negative VDI number and when pinpointing, a negative number in the top right...just like my quarter issue.

Those two things aside, I love the machine. And I haven't even used a custom program yet! I've dug probably a third of the pull tabs (went back to check them afterward...they were all pull tabs) and the depth from the stock 12" coil that comes with the machine is amazing. I pulled a Wheatie out of our church yard that was eight inches.

I know that may not be deep for some, but for what I was used to with the AT Pro, eight inches was awesome to see.

Anyone have any possible suggestions on the two issues I've raised?

Also, anyone have any custom programs they wouldn't mind sharing for a person who's been detecting for a while now, but still not very familiar with the White's? I'm a die hard coin/jewelry/relic shooter. I tried nuggets for a long time and just gave up on it.

Any help any of you could provide would be greatly appreciated. And may I just say, I'm happier than a puppy with two.....well....let's just say I'm happy to finally be a card carrying White's member!

HH and be safe out there folks.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's has really good customer service! If you were to call them and explain what is going, I would think they would explain what is going on or would tell you to send the machine in for a free fix. I've had very good experience with White's service!! Glad you are enjoying the machine and I would guess you will for a very long time...........63bkpkr

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try the hard reset.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the at pro is a joke
that's what a Texas instrument will get you every time
man there is a lot of suckers out there too bad for them

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Scotty... Try a hard reset first. With the detector in search mode remove the battery pack. Give it a minute then re-install and fire it back up.

OP
OP
fuzymunky

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm with Scotty... Try a hard reset first. With the detector in search mode remove the battery pack. Give it a minute then re-install and fire it back up.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. Its going to be in the mid 60s this weekend and I've got a date with an early 1800s ghost town-gold mining settlement. I'll be sure to post any finds.

This is why I love you T.net folks, helpful as always!

Happy hunting!

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its still not working, give Whites a call or ask around on the Whites forum itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread