Is it okay to cover the control box and display with a plastic cover?

45srbest

Greenie
Apr 22, 2013
Scotch Plains,NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to MD and wondering if it's okay to use a plastic cover to keep the dust, etc. off the machine - or if it would get the machine to hot by not having air around it. Thanks for all the direction you folks have given me.

From my experience I've had no issues putting covers on my machines I got one that covers up the atpro box & screen then also have 1 covering screen,control box & handle on my v3i & I haven't noticed anything at all over heating keeps them looking good to u can also get s cover for ur coil keep that nice as well depends on ur brand of detector either look online detector covers for so & so machine lots of choices have fun & welcome to the forum

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will be fine. No heat made by the electronics worth talking about unless you have one of the old tube type units. :)

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be sure to either seal it or leave a large air hole to allow moisture to escape. Any moisture that gets captured inside the bag/plastic will damage the electronics, at least long term use.

Not an expert on MDing, just have had similar issue with other electronics in hot weather and captured moisture...

JMB

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly right. If the boards are not coated they will corrode in no time. I only cover mine when it's raining with a cheapo plastic bag and cut it off when I get home.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If all your concerned with is dust or dirt then instead of using a bag use a good quality coat of car wax. I like the stuff in the orange bottle. Dust and dirt wipes right off after a hunt and provides some UV protection on those plastic bodies. If you need to use some cleaning aides like windex the wax coating helps there too. I have used car wax on all my detectors including the shafts and coil, since I started in the 60's and they look as new as the day they came out of the box. Try it, you'll like it.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thesaurus covers fit like a glove and I've used them for a few years, they are worth it for a nice detector. HH

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thesaurus covers fit like a glove and I've used them for a few years, they are worth it for a nice detector. HH

Wingmaster do they make those covers for all detectors ? I got the 1 for my v3i from a guy in ny who makes them & my atpro that 1 came from somewhere on the other side of earth (looks & fits nice though)

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep they make them for a few different brands and models.
Wingmaster do they make those covers for all detectors ? I got the 1 for my v3i from a guy in ny who makes them & my atpro that 1 came from somewhere on the other side of earth (looks & fits nice though)

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leave mine on all the time. I only take it off to change the batteries. No problems in 10 years.

View attachment 801752

Last edited:

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If all your concerned with is dust or dirt then instead of using a bag use a good quality coat of car wax. I like the stuff in the orange bottle. Dust and dirt wipes right off after a hunt and provides some UV protection on those plastic bodies. If you need to use some cleaning aides like windex the wax coating helps there too. I have used car wax on all my detectors including the shafts and coil, since I started in the 60's and they look as new as the day they came out of the box. Try it, you'll like it.

I too, keep my detectors waxed. It really makes a huge difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions