fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a question on how many tones ar e on an MXT pro. Is it just the 7 and 2 tone relic mode or is there more than 7? Has anyone used it and what are your thoughts? I had an MXT years ago and it was a great machine. Now I have a v3i and was thinking about going back to an MXT. I seem to get more out of the MXT. Thiking about selling the V3i. Thanks.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep 7 tones. It's a great detector.
I also have a Vx3. I've never really seen the Vx3 outpace my MXT Pro on any targets I've compared.
I was using my AT Pro today and had a signal that jumping around between a zinc & a copper cent. I pulled out my MXT Pro w/950 coil just to compare and it read the same way. Jumping between a zinc & copper cent. But the MXT Pro tones were sooo much more smooth. It definitely sounded like a more diggable signal with the MXTP than with the ATP. I dug it and there were two pennies in the same hole. One zinc, one copper. However, in all fairness to the ATP, I have A LOT more time on my MXTP and have an easier time deciphering the iffy signals with it.

I think the MXT Pro is one of the best machines out there and the more I use other good machines (E-Trac, Vx3, AT Pro & Vaquero), the more it proves just how good it is.

I have a question on how many tones ar e on an MXT pro. Is it just the 7 and 2 tone relic mode or is there more than 7? Has anyone used it and what are your thoughts? I had an MXT years ago and it was a great machine. Now I have a v3i and was thinking about going back to an MXT. I seem to get more out of the MXT. Thinking about selling the V3i. Thanks.

If you get serious about selling your V3i to get an MXTP, PM me maybe we can work something out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. I have used the MXT in the past. I love it. It was a good deep machine. I think I can get used to 7 tones. All the tones on the V3I now just seem like over kill. I will let you know about the V3I. Thanks!!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah 7 tone is pretty easy to get use to and seems about perfect. If it's too many, you can always turn the tone I'd off.

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only had the chance to play with mine in my yard so far but I been digging coins. I love this machine. So far if it says its a quarter or dime it has been a quarter or a dime. Very easy to pinpoint and most of the time you don't have to even put it in pin point mode it tracks fast .

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only had the chance to play with mine in my yard so far but I been digging coins. I love this machine. So far if it says its a quarter or dime it has been a quarter or a dime. Very easy to pinpoint and most of the time you don't have to even put it in pin point mode it tracks fast .

7 tones is what I have found.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sold my DFX to get the MXT PRO when it first came out. I love it much better than the DFX. There may only be 7 tones but you really only need two. High and low. I hunt by tones and when coin hunting I will check the VDI to see if worth digging. I use the 10x12 SEF coil which I really love.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
Thanks for the reply. I have used the MXT in the past. I love it. It was a good deep machine. I think I can get used to 7 tones. All the tones on the V3I now just seem like over kill. I will let you know about the V3I. Thanks!!

If too many tones is your problem on the V3i you can change any VDI to be any tone you want. Group as many together under one tone or select ranges of VDI's and make them a single tone. Just pick a number of tones you want to hear and program it, the variations are endless.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If too many tones is your problem on the V3i you can change any VDI to be any tone you want. Group as many together under one tone or select ranges of VDI's and make them a single tone. Just pick a number of tones you want to hear and program it, the variations are endless.
I have done that its a lot of work! I have done extremely well with the machine. I am just wanting something simpler now.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
I have done that its a lot of work! I have done extremely well with the machine. I am just wanting something simpler now.

OK I understand. I have mine tweaked to the point where it's a power on and go machine now, I can't see it getting any simpler. I might bump the gain up and down a bit in trashy areas but other than that I only use the power button. Good luck to you which ever way you decide to go!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got rid of my XLT for a MXT. It proved a good move.

Sent from my SX-SP715A using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread