DFX question... factory reset

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried a reset the other day(twice), and it didn't appear to do anything.

Turned unit on...after 30 sec or so, slid battery out while unit still on...1st time waited 1 minute to re-insert,2nd time waited 5 minutes. Should I have actually "loaded " a program 1st?

I was expecting that my custom programs would disappear and be replaced by the EEPROM programs that were originally loaded (DEMO,HI PRO, etc.). What does it mean to have factory settings restored?

Thanks for taking the time to look and to comment!

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To have the factory settings restored means that any changes you made to the factory programs, such as "coin & jewelry", or "prospecting", are returned back to the original settings. That is to say, the original, basic, factory programs can be modified, and will retain those modifications, until you remove the battery, at which point they will revert (or reset) to the original factory values. If you modify a factory program and save it in one of the EEPROM slots, or even generate your own settings to save in an EEPROM slot, that program will continue to exist, as saved, until you over-write it with something else.
Every once in a while, the computer processor inside the detector gets "out of sync", and you'll notice odd behavior in the audio, (or more often) in the video display. Removing the battery with the unit turned on is called a "hard reset" and is essentially the same as resetting, or restarting, your computer.

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the concise reply. I have added and changed eeprom programs numerous times. I had a coil start acting up and wondered if a reset might help.

Gonna hit the park right now and check that coil out a bit more before I leave.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a coil problem the hard reset won't help the coil any. Good luck and HH

OP
OP
finderskeepers

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its a coil problem the hard reset won't help the coil any. Good luck and HH
I realize that, It was my 1st step in the field trying to see if the issue was with the machine or the coil...actually 2nd as I turned down AC SENS and then PAG 1st. The coil doesn't have many hours on it and "looks" ok. I sealed the coil cover in place with silicone. Guess I'll peel that off and make sure no debris found its way in before calling Whites to see about sending it in to be checked.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had coils go bad when they were pretty new and really well taken care of, the first sign mine gave when going bad was overloading when turning up the gain and got worse pretty fast to where it overloaded on even 6 gain setting way before the preset. HH

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i reset as instructed above. my DFX just chatters all the time, pinpoint mode works as is should.
if i unplug the coil it still breaking-up chatters like its detecting amd cancelling something? would the detector do the same thing even if the coil was unplugged?
just wondering if i should send it in or get a new coil?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread