need coil suggestions

gwhamil

May 27, 2013
I recently acquired a Whites DFX with a 10" DD coil made by DeTech. It seems like a very sensitive coil and experiences a lot of emi. I have been to multiple locations and have not been able to set the preamp gain over 2 and keep the detector stable. It also hits really hard on steel bottle caps. They sound and display like a good target in the low 90's. Anyway, I would like to get a genuine Whites coil. Most of my hunting is in trashy parks and the yards of a couple homes from the late 1800's. I do mostly coin and jewellery hunting. I really don't know if my soil is highly mineralized or not. I am looking for a general purpose coil that I can use in most locations with good seperation. I was thinking about the eclipse DD 6x10. Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 6x10 is a really nice coil. Not prone to emi as many of the others including the D2.
I used it on my MXT Pro and Vx3 and really liked it. It pretty much replace the D2 after I started using it.

OP
OP
G

gwhamil

May 27, 2013
Thanks fella. That's exactly the type of information I have been looking for. Do you notice a big difference in depth as compared to the D2 coil?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't say big, but the D2 is definitely deeper of the two. The 6x10 way smoother, ID'd better imo, separated a lil better & was easier to swing.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say big, but the D2 is definitely deeper of the two. The 6x10 way smoother, ID'd better imo, separated a lil better & was easier to swing.

I agree with fells the whites 10" dd might just b that all around coil ur looki.g for me i use the 6x8 & the 10x12,sef ( detech ) coils on my v3i & have tremendous luck

ArizFlash

Sep 19, 2008
North Central WA
Detector(s) used
Whites - V3 i , MXT Pro, XLT, IDX
Fisher F70, Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GW:

I agree with Christo000. I have an MXT Pro with the the 6X9 Eclipse DD, 6X8 SEF DD, 10X12 SEF DD, a 950 Eclipse Concentric and a 5.3 Eclipse Concentric. I sold the 12" (300 LTD) Concentric that came with the detector. The 12" concentric covered too much ground at the trashy place I detect. It was deep in the open areas but I just don't hunt them that often. The 10X12 SEF provides a lot better target separation and has similar depth capabilities. I think the best coils for trashy parks and iron infested sites are the 6X8 SEF and the 5.3 Eclipse. I haven't tried the White's 10"D2 coil yet but I am on the lookout for one. I've read lots of good things about it. The 6X9 Eclipse is a great coil. Great separation, excellent in highly mineralized areas and it can pick up my 0.23 gram gold nugget that I used for testing.

All the best to you with your DFX.

AirzFlash
Alan in the East Bay

I recently acquired a Whites DFX with a 10" DD coil made by DeTech. It seems like a very sensitive coil and experiences a lot of emi. I have been to multiple locations and have not been able to set the preamp gain over 2 and keep the detector stable. It also hits really hard on steel bottle caps. They sound and display like a good target in the low 90's. Anyway, I would like to get a genuine Whites coil. Most of my hunting is in trashy parks and the yards of a couple homes from the late 1800's. I do mostly coin and jewellery hunting. I really don't know if my soil is highly mineralized or not. I am looking for a general purpose coil that I can use in most locations with good seperation. I was thinking about the eclipse DD 6x10. Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GW:

I agree with Christo000. I have an MXT Pro with the the 6X9 Eclipse DD, 6X8 SEF DD, 10X12 SEF DD, a 950 Eclipse Concentric and a 5.3 Eclipse Concentric. I sold the 12" (300 LTD) Concentric that came with the detector. The 12" concentric covered too much ground at the trashy place I detect. It was deep in the open areas but I just don't hunt them that often. The 10X12 SEF provides a lot better target separation and has similar depth capabilities. I think the best coils for trashy parks and iron infested sites are the 6X8 SEF and the 5.3 Eclipse. I haven't tried the White's 10"D2 coil yet but I am on the lookout for one. I've read lots of good things about it. The 6X9 Eclipse is a great coil. Great separation, excellent in highly mineralized areas and it can pick up my 0.23 gram gold nugget that I used for testing.

All the best to you with your DFX.

AirzFlash
Alan in the East Bay

The 10dd coil that came with my v3i great coil really works very well in just what I hunt in my opinión I use the 6x8 sef & the 10x12 mainly its like a super charged 10dd, the 10dd & my 950 eclipse havent been on in quite a while lol good luck guys

OP
OP
G

gwhamil

May 27, 2013
Hey guys, Thanks for all the input. I hadn't even considered the 6x8 SEF. Guess I need to do a little more research.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
G

gwhamil

May 27, 2013
Decided to go with the 6x10 DD. Hopefully, I will get it this week. Figured I ought to have a whites coil on the machine. Thanks again to everyone for their input. I think there is a problem with that DeTech coil that came on the machine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good luck with ur new coil let us know what ya think. I'm gonna stick by my sef coils I have some whites coils aswell but these sefs' at least with the places I go & detect there just unstoppable for me, but then again no 2 peoples ways or spots r the same so best of luck & happy huntin

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3Khz is a resonant frequency. That is why the emi gets the dfx. When that happens run single frequency.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a little late on this post but thought I would give my input. I got the MXT PRO last year and tried the 6x10 and D2 but the best coil for me is the 10x12 SEF coil. It has great separation in trashy areas and is deeper that the others. Makes hunted out sites much more fun to hunt. Nothing wrong with the other two coils but the SEF is just a notch better and deeper. Again my opinion and any of the coils mentioned will work great for you.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little late on this post but thought I would give my input. I got the MXT PRO last year and tried the 6x10 and D2 but the best coil for me is the 10x12 SEF coil. It has great separation in trashy areas and is deeper that the others. Makes hunted out sites much more fun to hunt. Nothing wrong with the other two coils but the SEF is just a notch better and deeper. Again my opinion and any of the coils mentioned will work great for you.

Same as me I'm all about the sef coils

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread