From the DFX to the MXT Pro?

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently use a DFX and an X-Terra 705. I love them both, but I've always wanted to try an MXT Pro. If anyone here is familiar with both the DFX and the MXT pro, I could use some advice....should I sell the DFX for the Pro? Does it have any advantage in depth or reliability and accuracy? The DFX is great, but has a lot of tweaks. The MXT seems more simple to operate. I could use some enlightenment on this issue. Thanks in advance!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious I know the dfx is a good all around machine & well so is the mxt but y would u wanna almost go backwards

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I agree. Just buy the MXT. 3 detectors is not too many, imo.

I understand the allure of wanting to make an adjustment and just reaching down for a knob.

OP
OP
R

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IS it really a backwards transition? I was hoping to find out the real differences between the two from other users that have had both.
Curious I know the dfx is a good all around machine & well so is the mxt but y would u wanna almost go backwards

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a DFX as I loved my Spectrum and XLT but their weak spot was wet sand and I live near the sea. A few weeks later I won another DFX. Didn't like either and got rid of both. Not bad on wet sand but on land twin frequency didn't do me any favours.

Get rid of the DFX and you would regret it when at the coast. If your not near a beach or just into land detecting I would give the MXT Pro a try or the Whites SST that bridges the MXT/GMT/M6 platforms.

kycoinguy

Jul 27, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, 12" coil, 12x10 S.E.F., 8x6 S.E.F., Prizm II, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the DFX just a few times, but I have owned my MXT Pro for about 1 1/2 years now. I wouldn't say that one machine is better than the other. The DFX has more adjustments you can make, but the MXT Pro is a simple to use, turn on and go machine. I would say that they both could get about the same depth depending on your settings and coil selection. I personally love my MXT Pro. You definitely couldn't go wrong with it by whatever means you choose.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the DFX just a few times, but I have owned my MXT Pro for about 1 1/2 years now. I wouldn't say that one machine is better than the other. The DFX has more adjustments you can make, but the MXT Pro is a simple to use, turn on and go machine. I would say that they both could get about the same depth depending on your settings and coil selection. I personally love my MXT Pro. You definitely couldn't go wrong with it by whatever means you choose.

Agreed!

I've never owned or used a DFX but I did have a Vx3 & an MXT Pro. I like both a great deal. I never noticed any depth difference on non planted targets. The MXTP's user friendly turn on and go features combined with big power make for one bad motha of a detector. Really liked it mated with a D2 or 6x10.

OP
OP
R

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the replies. Maybe I just need to use the DFX a little more before making a decision to move on to another detector. I have the D2 and 6x10 eclipse coils, and so far I'm happy with them. The D2 seems a little sensitive, so I may try an SEF coil and see what happens.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol as alot know Man im a big fan of the sef & just got another one up to 3 now

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a DFX and now own the standard MXT. I like the simplicity and have not regretted selling the DFX. MXT and Tesoro Tejon are my primary detectors. I love nobs over computer programming. Just my opinion

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a DFX for about three years and did very well with it. When the MXT PRO came out I sold my DFX and got it. Nothing wrong with the DFX but I was wanting a more turn and go machine that was just as deep. The MXT PRO was a great move. Very easy to use with just a slight learning curve. I mainly hunt civil war relics and I believe is a much better machine for the hunting that I do. At first I thought I was going backwards and getting a lower end machine than the DFX. Well that was very wrong. The MXT PRO is a fantastic machine for relic and coin hunting. I sold the 12" coil and got the 10x12 SEF coil which is a coil that I highly recommend getting. One of my best finds was a civil war ID tag about 12" deep in the hot soil of Virginia. Again there is nothing wrong with the DFX but the MXT PRO is much easier to use. Very easy to adjust controls as you hunt. I like the fact that I don't have to stop and go into a program to make tweeks.

OP
OP
R

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for their responses. Still trying to make up my mind.

Keep On Diggin

May 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta, Eurotek Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth, I have owned a DFX for about a year and a half now, and if I had to do it over I would have gone for the MXT. Reason 1. As stated above, changing settings is time consuming and a big hassle. 2. The MXT is newer technology and circuitry and probably improved over the DFX which by the way is now a discontinued model! If you plan to do a lot of beach hunting, especially in the water, you would do better with a BHID or Tesoro SS machine. JMHO.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, I have owned a DFX for about a year and a half now, and if I had to do it over I would have gone for the MXT. Reason 1. As stated above, changing settings is time consuming and a big hassle. 2. The MXT is newer technology and circuitry and probably improved over the DFX which by the way is now a discontinued model! If you plan to do a lot of beach hunting, especially in the water, you would do better with a BHID or Tesoro SS machine. JMHO.

But now whites has a model dfx300 they offer thats been totaly updated to newer technology, everyones just different me i like to make my own programs & tweek stuff while others would rather a turn on & go detector. When it comes down to it the detector is just a tool like ur digger its a matter of how u use it to get the best out of it. There is,no one machine thats the best or 1,that can do it all, each have there own specs turning them into the right tool for the job. Use something ur comfortable with, learn it, etc & it will pay off in the end with finds & fun hh

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually cant contribute to your question... but i just bought an mxt pro off craigslist today ... brand spankin new. and im stoked.... feel me RAWR!

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But now whites has a model dfx300 they offer thats been totaly updated to newer technology, <snip>

White's does not offer any kind of DFX.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nah...the MXT is not higher tech than the DFX. The DFX is a dual freq unit, and has more advanced features than the MXT. It's also harder to operate, until you learn how to use it. The only advantage the MXT has is a shorter learning curve. The DFX was White's flagship unit until they brought out the 3 freq units. Once the 3 freq units were in production, Whites dropped the DFX...but, they're still great units. The MXT's have never been White's flagship detectors. That said, depending on how and where they are used, the MXT might do just as well. Not everybody needs a top-end machine. Two places the multi-freq machines offer big advantages is at the beach going from dry sand to wet, and they also do better in areas that have lots of trash, using correlate mode.
Jim

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now the dfx is back

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
White's does not offer any kind of DFX.
Yeah...not to mention the fact the two DFX units are electronically identical. Just came with different standard coils.
Jim

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And now the dfx is back

You sure? I understand it was just phased out not to long ago replaced by the Vx3. Seems odd they would bring it back that quickly.

Maybe the market demand was there, I dunno!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread