Whites beach hunter 300 ID

rer613

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, new to the site, Looking for some help with my whites beach hunter 300 id detector. I am having trouble trying to set it up, I have the user dvd but cannot seem to get it tuned. I can turn as instructed in the dvd but cannot get a sdeady hum, it jumps all around and the green light keeps flashing, batteries are new, this is all in free air, I followed the dvd and tried setting it in diffrent ways but still the same results. I have had this a few years but have just retired and want to start some serious hunting on the beaches around Pensacola Fl. any ideas out there ?

OP
OP
R

rer613

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne, nothing in the dvd even referred to the reset, I did push it a couple of times with no results, not sure just how the reset works, I am going to try and download the manual this afternoon, ink is low in my printer.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all, new to the site, Looking for some help with my whites beach hunter 300 id detector. I am having trouble trying to set it up, I have the user dvd but cannot seem to get it tuned. I can turn as instructed in the dvd but cannot get a sdeady hum, it jumps all around and the green light keeps flashing, batteries are new, this is all in free air, I followed the dvd and tried setting it in diffrent ways but still the same results. I have had this a few years but have just retired and want to start some serious hunting on the beaches around Pensacola Fl. any ideas out there ?

Are you trying to do this indoors?
It sounds like interference, to which the 300mm coil is pretty sensitive.
I am assuming you are at home trying this, perhaps in your back yard. The first thing to do is put the detector in all metal, and slowly sweep an area of the ground, ensuring there is no metal there to interfere with the ground balance procedure. Also, take a look around and ensure there are no power lines or electric fences nearby.
Adjust the threshold for the lowest level hum you can. The coil needs to be at search height when you do this; probably an inch or two off the ground.
Set your sensitivity knob to 'P' preset and the toggle switch to All Metal, then slowly lower the coil to search height a few times, listening closely to the threshold hum. If it stays the same, you are good to start searching. If it increases as the coil is lowered, turn the sensitivity knob to the left, or counter clockwise. If it decreases, turn the knob right, or clockwise. Repeat this procedure until the threshold hum stays steady as the coil approaches the ground. Only listen to the threshold hum on the downward stroke. Do not worry about what it does when you lift the coil. After the ground balance is set where you want it, place the toggle switch in DISC. TIP: if the threshold hum increases just a tiny bit as the coil approaches search height, leave the sensitivity knob where it is and start hunting. This is known as a positive ground balance. A slightly positive ground balance will enhance sensitivity to small gold such as chains or necklaces.
Note on the toggle switch and reset - the reset position is a momentary contact position, it returns to DISC when released. It is only used to manually reset the lights if you wish (not necessary during normal operation). It doesn't do anything to the audio signal.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your detector. I'd really look hard at potential interference issues, first.

OP
OP
R

rer613

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a4wdguy, I am trying to set it up in my back yard away from things, when I think I have it set it beeps and flashes no matter where I try it and the signals are not in the same place, I think I will take it to the beach this weekend and try it there. I did down load the manual, followed it and still the same thing, it may be to complicated for my 67 years but I am not going to give up.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Beach Hunter is one of the easiest threshold detectors to set up, so I doubt it's too complicated for you.
Things to consider:
Whenever people have problems with their detectors, one of the first thing they say is it has fresh batteries; no doubt this is true, but sometimes "new" isn't "fresh", so you might look into that. Also, the contacts inside the case can take a "set" away from the contacts on the battery case. If you can find a long, hooked tool, reach into the case and pull the tabs toward you so they bend slightly. This will make a better contact against the battery case. Ensure the contact pads on the battery case are clean and shiny, too.
Finally, if you can't get it to balance properly at the beach, I'd say it's time to send it in to the mother ship.
Good luck

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A4wdguy brings up a good point on the batteries. Just because we buy batteries at the store doesn't they are fresh and could have been setting there for weeks or years.

Ejmrods

Jul 25, 2012
Ridge NY and Sarasota Fl
Detector(s) used
V3i, Beach Hunter, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman makes a great point. My BHID 300 drove me crazy until someone told me to clean out the coil cover and then seal it. It sounds like a combination of small issues. Clean out the coil cover and seal it then install fresh batteries and then do a good ground balance. When I did that all my problems were gone. One other thing, while hunting in wet sand I use the all metal mode. When I switch to dry sand I use the discrimination mode. I hope that helps some.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
My son and I returned from beach hunting last week.
Yesterday I poured 2 tablespoons if sand out of his coil cover.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever get the BHID problem fixed ?

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what would be the best way to seal the coil cover? I like my 300, great machine in the water!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what would be the best way to seal the coil cover? I like my 300, great machine in the water!

Don't seal the coil cover with anything as no matter how well you think you've done it, black sand will get inside. It is best to cover the coil with marine epoxy without the coil cover. The BHID is a fine detector for wet or dry sand. Have fun and use a Sunspot Scoop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread