MXT Alternate Relic Mode / Primary Relic Mode and machine stability

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
My hunting season starts in the Fall and goes through early summer. I am going on my third year with the MXT (Pro). My mineralization is generally around 60. I usually run Relic, Default Two Tone (Trigger center for standard MXT's) and zero discrimination. Nine times out of ten I can run my gain all the way up.
However, on two different occasions I tried to run Alternate Relic Mode (1 Tone) or (Trigger forward for standard MXT's) and on both occasions I could not run my gain past 6. Even after switching back to Primary (trigger center / 2 Tone) my machine was still unmanageably unstable.
I read that the Alternate Relic Mode alters the Speed of my threshold recovery.
The short answer for me is to not run that anymore but why is this. Is my machine faulty?
Anyone else experience this?
Thanks,
Dave

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is the machines fault but EMI fields on that frequency. Call White's for clarification so your not left wasting time with it. Sometimes a solder joint breaks and causes this. Good Luck.

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the reply Sandman. For clarification, what your saying is it may be "emissions in the air"? Or could be a busted solder joint?

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your machine is OK, it could be some EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference). Alternate relic mode is more unstable due to the higher SAT speed. That option is good to use on trashy or very mineralized sites

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, if it is EMI and I try to run ARM,
then my machine gets all chattery and I switch back to PRM and my machine still won't settle down. This problem actually kind of ruined one hunt for me. The second time it happened was in a test situation at a nearby park. So, if I do try to run it, and it gets all chattery so I cannot turn up my gain, is there any way to get my machine to calm down after I switch back to PRM? Maybe take out the battery pack or something? Thing is I am now scared to try it when out in the field. Maybe I should just stay away from it all together?
and thank you for your reply Chinchilla!

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, if it is EMI and I try to run ARM,
then my machine gets all chattery and I switch back to PRM and my machine still won't settle down. This problem actually kind of ruined one hunt for me. The second time it happened was in a test situation at a nearby park. So, if I do try to run it, and it gets all chattery so I cannot turn up my gain, is there any way to get my machine to calm down after I switch back to PRM? Maybe take out the battery pack or something? Thing is I am now scared to try it when out in the field. Maybe I should just stay away from it all together?
and thank you for your reply Chinchilla!

you are welcome Dave, if I were you I would test the machine at other places to check if the problem continues, in that case I would contact White's. If it is in fact EMI, try running on Normal Relic Mode, use the smallest DD coil you have and experiment locking the ground balance as well.

I've hunted near communication lines where the olny way to run the MXT was by dropping gain bellow preset, this machine is in fact a bit chatty by default.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again you guys and I will read the EMI link. I'll call whites too.
The funny thing is in both of these places my mxt is very quiet UNTIL I switch to ARM and from THAT POINT on my machine is unstable in both modes. Just weird. Ok, thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread