Whites MX5

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I am brand new to metal detecting so take this "review" of the White's MX5 with a grain of salt.
As I said, I have just got into detecting and the MX5 is my first detector. I got it at the local Hobby Town for $549.00.
After assembly and a quick read of the manual ( 5 minutes maybe ), I was in the yard at the old home site acting like I knew what I was doing.
Within about half an hour I found an old plow share at 10-12", a wheat penny at 8", two quarters at 4",a mason jar lid at 10" ( unfortunately the glass jar full of gold coins was no longer screwed to the lid ) and a lot of cut nails.
I was using the factory settings in the all metal mode. In other words I didn't adjust anything !
This detector is light !! It makes my friends DFX feel like an anvil strapped to your arm.
I have a bad hip so the weight is a big deal for me and I can swing this thing all day long. It's always a fun way to get into a hobby when you can buy equipment that works very well without breaking the bank.
I'm looking forward to heading down to Pensacola Beach and trying it out in the wet sand ( the final selling point for me buying the MX5 ) for myself.

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MX5 is a versatile detector that can be used almost anywhere- with both a general purpose Coin mode and a Beach mode that allows ground tracking even in wet salt sand.
Highlights

* Adjustable Notch Discrimination
* Automatic Ground Balance with AutoTrac®
* Backlit Display
* Beach Mode
* Coin/Jewelry Mode
* Depth Reading
* Lighweight
* On/OFF Button
* Salt and Freshwater
* Tone ID
* Two-year Parts and Labor Warranty
* Waterproof 9" Spider Coil

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The MX5 is a versatile detector that can be used almost anywhere- with both a general purpose Coin mode and a Beach mode that allows ground tracking even in wet salt sand.
Highlights

* Adjustable Notch Discrimination
* Automatic Ground Balance with AutoTrac®
* Backlit Display
* Beach Mode
* Coin/Jewelry Mode
* Depth Reading
* Lighweight
* On/OFF Button
* Salt and Freshwater
* Tone ID
* Two-year Parts and Labor Warranty
* Waterproof 9" Spider Coil

What is this a copy-paste from a web page?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be from looks of it but it us showing what the mx5 has & can do so y not

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope I didn't break any rules by posting that. There's still so little out on the MX5 I thought it might help.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it has an "On/Off Button", so that's a good feature!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

webber99

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my mx5 I do have a tones issue but the machine is awesome...

I have a mx5 and was wondering what the tone issues are that people are having. I know when I pinpoint in vco mode the tones do change , is that what it is ?

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think some of them had a glitch as not having the 8 tones working. as there are 1 or 2 or 8 tones and some like to use the 2 tone feature for relic hunting or civil war hunting. In my honest opinion mine did not go as deep as the MXT but was close. the features are endless and like the battery pack feature. Of all the MXT's mxt mxt pro mxt 300 mx6 mx5 I like the M6 the best just doesn't have notch which I do not use much in trashy areas anyway. rwd mo

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, honestly nothing like the CM Pro or GT. Aesthetically, yeah but it's 14kHZ with 2 programs, threshold hunt and works with the Eclipse M and V series coils. I think what White's is shooting for here is competition for the AT Pro. I've never used an AT Pro, but it seems like everyone is raving about it. The MX5 is a lighter weight M6/MXT. My biggest gripe is the right-hand headphone jack. Really, what was White's thinking? For $600, having a jack on both sides doesn't seem like it'd add more $$$. So far, I'm REALLY liking the MX5 especially with the 5.3 Eclipse. I went back to one of my fave hunts and (no BS) plucked out a '45 merc first signal using the 5.3 White's is probably burnin' the midnight oil to compete with the XP Deus. Maybe a full wireless V3i? Who knows. While there are others out there with some great machines, I'm rootin' for Whites.

markkeele

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
new salisbury
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro and whites dfx spectrum e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the headphone jack, on the MX5, I'm a lefty so its perfect for me, I love this machine, I regularly find coins at 8+ inches, I'm sold on the MX5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread