Whites MX5

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's basically an M6 in a new black GT configuration.

OP
OP
B

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
Very disappointing. The last product that whites put out rhat showed innovation was the v3i. Have they run out of ideas?? With the ctx 3030 and the ATX you w ould think whites would be looking to compete with some new innovation. Dissapointed!

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great detector for someone that doesn't quite have the budget for an MXT Pro but kind of wants the performance of one. This looks like a simplified version of the MXT Pro with a touch pad instead of knobs and also has a coin mode and beach mode and even looks like it can handle the wet salt beach too! Great detector for the price!:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
B

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
It over 600 bucks. Why not just buy a mxt pro for anothe 150$$. Sorry but its not water proof. Dont think it will do well in the surf. I just dont see what the market is for this detector. They went with a cheap plastic housing over metal, it wether resistant not water proof. And it replicates many of the features offered by exsisting models. And it is over 600 dollars. This really has me scratching my head. Oh and while im at it, why would whites release info to kellyco and not have any info on their web site or info put out thru thier forum. Very strange. Can someone explain ????

OP
OP
B

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
In all fairness. I have looked alittle further into whats out there regarding the mx5. I will say this. If it performs as good as the reviews say it does AND the weather proof control box will allow me to hunt in rain, then this might me the kind of back up to my V3i I have been looking for. I would love to do a head to head comparisons with the mx5 and the AT Pro whennit comes out.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like the mx5 would be better balanced with the batteries at the armcuff.

D

DeepThought

....looks like a white elephant, more a Coinmaster GT with a few mods than it is a full replacement for the MXT. Some of the MXT functionality just isn't there. Of course were it on the Whites website we would have more information than just what KellyCo says (a major point to me, here). And define water resistant in comparison to the CGT hardware, then the limit.

OP
OP
B

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
I dont understand why whites would not release info regarding the mx5. Its not on their site nor is it in their forum. Im a whites owner( v3i and a tin of asessories)really like their priducts and customer service. That said, I dont understand what they r doing with this release. Im in the market for a back up detector so im going to give the MX 5 a good look. Keeping an open mind and will wait until its released to visit my local dealer and put it thru the paces.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I loved my MXT Pro, but the issue with it became the weight. It was simply too heavy to hunt all day with - at least for me. The AT Pro and T2SE are both so much lighter. Perhaps the plastic on the MX5 is also an attempt to offer a much lighter machine.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anxious to see how it really produces. Sure not gonna dog any product by a company as reputable as Whites until I get some real world experience with one, or get some feedback from some hunters I trust and believe to be objective. Think it is safe to say all of the companies have had a model or two that was a flop. Hope it is a homerun. We all need more detectors to put on our wish list..... ha ha:laughing7:

Last edited:

mrdetector

Greenie
Jun 13, 2013
TENN
Detector(s) used
whites GT-Whites SurfMaster 11- field scope by Thomas Colorado gold sticks-crazy rod by J D Moore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
mx5 will be released in December

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is on the White's website now. IMHO it's more of a Prizm 6T with a higher frequency that makes it compatible with MXT,DFX V3 etc. coils which makes it an interesting choice to back up any of the detectors using that selection of coils.
luvsdux

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is on the White's website now. IMHO it's more of a Prizm 6T with a higher frequency that makes it compatible with MXT,DFX V3 etc. coils which makes it an interesting choice to back up any of the detectors using that selection of coils.
luvsdux

The v series coils arent the same as the mxt,& dfx coils the v's are coils by them selves rated to take on 3 frequencies at once,

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the v coils were tweaked to handle the v3i,v3,vx3 machines but all the v coils work on the mxt pro,mxt,m6,dfx machines I don't think they make non v rated coils at all anymore..so yes they are the same coils

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been my understanding from the time the V coils were introduced that they were compatible with the MXT, DFX, M6 etc.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread