New MX5

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the mx5 is a very capable detector..for me I can say it has better vdi at depth than any ive used.. I have 10 hours or so hunting time with it and have already made some incredible finds. ive only used it in areas that have been hunted for years.. no new yards yet. so that is very impressive! targets were deep with clear tones and very good vdi.. its a keeper for sure!

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my first real opportunity to spend some real time in the field (parks) since getting the MX5. All I had really done up to this point has been air testing and some planted targets in my backyard. I spent the better part of 6 hours today checking out some local parks. Found about five bucks in pocket change, a key fob and a costume jewelry charm.

Bear in mind that I do know mine has issues with the tones. Sometimes while pinpointing, the tone changes - becomes 'squeakier' for lack of a better term. After turning the pinpoint off, the tones (I was using 8 tones) sound different. I thought I had resolved this after discovering it while air testing, but apparently not.

First off, it is NOT an M6! I read somewhere that the MX5 is the M6's brains in the coinmaster's body. While it may be the coinmaster's body, it certainly doesn't have the brains of the M6.

1) Love the audible threshold. I tried it with various discrimination patterns and liked to hear the nulling from discriminated targets (with VDI!)

2) Like the backlight. I hunted until just after dusk. Sure came in handy.

3) Love the standby feature - nice to not have to listen to my ProPointer talk to my detector while pinpointing a target!

4) Love the notch discrimination capabilities! Can't wait to get it to the beach, where I can set it for quarters and above and the gold range and avoid the dimes and pennies while still finding the good stuff (gold and most heavier silver jewelry)!

5) Love the tone options. While I have really only tried the 8 tone, I'm hoping the two tone will let me get the good stuff amongst the iron! I love TTF on the Etrac. If the MX5 can give similar or better results, the Etrac may be on its way out!

6) Love the weight. Could easily swing it all day.

7) Like the depth! One of the parks I went to seems to be hunted pretty regularly. Very little surface and shallow targets. Good depth and accurate VDIs down to 7 inches! Nice!

DISLIKES:

1) Not a fan of the stock coil. Took the 4x6 off the M6 and liked that much better. Liked the stock coil on the M6 better than I liked the stock coil on the MX5. (Currently looking for another 4x6 so I can have one for each machine. Anybody want to sell theirs?)

2) HATE the location/placement of the coil connection on the control box - where you can only get your fingers maybe a third of the way around it. Awfully hard to tighten - especially for those of us with arthritis. (Walked about 100 yards, swinging away, before realizing that the reason I wasn't getting any signals was because my coil cable had come unplugged!)

3) Dislike not having a more stable base when setting the detector down. Seems to always fall to one side or the other - most often to the side where my wireless headphone transmitter is plugged in.

4) Dislike the instability of VDIs/tones. Can't help but to compare it to the M6. M6 is MUCH more stable.

All in all, I think I will really enjoy the MX5, but I don't ever foresee it replacing the M6. When winter really sets in, I will send it in to White's to get the tone issues fixed. Then, and only then, I might change my mind.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the review Phillip in NM! That was so helpful especially with the Pros and Cons of the detector! I don't like reviews of detectors that only give just the positive side without explaining the faults of the machine! So one question. Is the detector just weatherproof? Can it be submerged in water? Just curious.

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the detector just weatherproof? Can it be submerged in water? Just curious.

Glad you liked the review. Looks to be a great detector. I only understand that it is weather resistant, nowhere near weatherproof or waterproof. Although it seems like it would make a great water machine. But it's absolutely not made to be submerged.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also found your review helpful Phillip in NM. Question, how does the MX5 compare to the AT Pro? Thanks!

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phillip I also enjoyed the review. Like Newfie said, it's nice to have somebody give the negatives also. Truth is every detector has at least a few negatives.

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MX5 vs. ATPro

I also found your review helpful Phillip in NM. Question, how does the MX5 compare to the AT Pro? Thanks!

As far as performance, I can't give a fair answer. I know just enough about the AT Pro to find stuff on those rare times I detect in the water. I've seen people do really well with the AT Pro. I am just not one of them. I needed a water detector so I got it for the trip. Found some cool stuff, then put it down for the M6 - my favorite detector of all time!

I like the screen on the MX5 MUCH better. The MX5 also has a better selection of tones. Balance seems to be about the same. Price is comparable. Way more coils for the MX5.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Phillip...

You said you had to send the MX5 back because of tone issues. What was the problem? Targets were giving wrong tones, such as pulltabs giving a coin tone? I did see something about that on a Youtube video. Hope they iron out that problem. With that being said, the screen gives so much info and has the backlight which are very good features! I like the different tones as well. Will keep the MX5 on my list of detectors along with the M6 which impressed me as well.

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Phillip...

You said you had to send the MX5 back because of tone issues. What was the problem? Targets were giving wrong tones, such as pulltabs giving a coin tone? I did see something about that on a Youtube video. Hope they iron out that problem. With that being said, the screen gives so much info and has the backlight which are very good features! I like the different tones as well. Will keep the MX5 on my list of detectors along with the M6 which impressed me as well.

I haven't yet sent in the MX5. I have seen two problems so far. One is where the tone changes during pinpoint and stays changed after pinpointing. Turning the detector off and back on resolves the problem, but that, in my mind, is an unacceptable solution. The other problem, which I have only seen once, is where, in 8 tone mode, tones basically become 2 tones - a medium tone for iron and a high tone for everything else. I'm waiting to send it in until after I've had a chance to test the other tone settings so I can have all issues identified before sending it in. Now if the weather will just cooperate!

I still have a lot of hope for the MX5. If it finds gold for me like the M6 has, then it will certainly be a keeper. I have found enough gold items with the M6 that, if I were to sell them, they would pay for both the M6 and the MX5. With the M6, digging in turf, I'd say my trash to gold ratio was a mere 10-1. Not too bad in my book. 10 pull tabs for every gold item! If the M6 puts it in the gold range and VDI is the same (or within 2) from every direction, chances are pretty good you have found gold!

If I can get that kind of accuracy from the MX5, plus have the great features it offers - backlight, standby mode, notching, I will be sold!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10-1 trash to gold ratio? Are you hunting in a jewelry store?

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10-1 trash to gold ratio? Are you hunting in a jewelry store?

I've never kept exact records, but I'd say that was actually pretty close. Bear in mind that when I give that ratio, I'm talking about exact same VDIs (or within 1 or 2) regardless of direction of swing. I don't like digging trash any more than anyone else. When I find a target that I think may be gold, I check it and recheck it in every direction. If it falls within the parameters I use, I dig it. I think my parameters exclude about 90% of pulltabs and 90-95% can slaw. Considering all that, I'd say 10-1 is reasonable, maybe 12-1, but I really think 10-1 is more accurate.

That's another thing the MX5 is going to have to prove to me - that I can find gold with it as well as I can with the M6! Until I'm comfortable with that, the M6 will stay right here in my arsenal where it belongs.

I wish you could talk to my detecting buddy. He is always amazed at my gold finds with the M6! I keep telling him he can do the same thing (provided he gets an M6!!!)

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive only used my mx5 for about 10 hours but have 2 gold items,a 10k ring and a very old pendant.. both gave solid vdi and tones. the vdi didn't change but only a number or 2..the pendant was really deep, 9" or so..the ring was about 6". I also have a m6 and really love the m series from whites.. the mx5 is becoming my favorite. very good depth im really impressed.. im a retired corrections officer and have had some injuries due to fighting with inmates over the years and the mxt and v3i hurts my shoulder after a while..the m6 and mx5 I can use all day..they are a little lighter but they also feel better balanced. ive used all the whites machines and can say the m6 mx5 mxt mxtpro vx3 and v3i all seem to get the same depth. or at least I haven't noticed one better than the other.. mxtpro has been my favorite but now leaning to the mx5. the mx5 acts like a fully digital mxtpro to me..

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ive only used my mx5 for about 10 hours but have 2 gold items,a 10k ring and a very old pendant.. both gave solid vdi and tones. the vdi didn't change but only a number or 2..the pendant was really deep, 9" or so..the ring was about 6".

Crying shame how some people are convinced you have to dig 500 pull tabs for every piece of gold. All they need to do is get an M6, or according to your experience, an MX5! And you're right about the depth - this is going to be one fun detector to master!

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So which would you say is deeper the MX5 or the M6?

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well since the mx5 is performs like an mxtpro just in full digital then I will say the mx5 has an edge.. it seems quicker, smoother and much better vdi at depth. seems easier to tell a bad target from a good target. put it this way, side by side I believe the mx5 gives better results. so my choice is mx5

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Basstrackerman. I think that was a great move on Whites to make what appears to be an outstanding detector at a GREAT price point. I will be keeping an eye on this one until I buy something this spring.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any more updates from Whites MX5 users?

I am set on and AT Pro but am trying to gather as much info about this machine as I can since I feel in this price range this is the only other one I may possibly consider.

Also and MX5 vs. AT Pro thoughts I would LOVE to hear. :)

Thanks for any more feedback we can get from MX5 users.

I did find this as well but would love to hear more .... http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?70068-MX5-Quick-Look-Field-Test-Update

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well how's this I havent used a mx5 so that I can't help but I have used the pro & other higher end detectors, that pro will run side by side with a whites dfx,mxt & keep close to a v3i in some scenarios, now if ur one to go out in the woods & detect ok if u like to go out for hours not knowing whats around the corner well I'd go with the Atpro why cuz there really isn't anything better then being in the woods detecting & coming to a pond don't stop go for it rain go for it no elements can stop it

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The mx5 is weather proof as well so rain won't affect it at all, not waterproof. In my opinion one step over the Garrett....

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The mx5 is weather proof as well so rain won't affect it at all, not waterproof. In my opinion one step over the Garrett....

But the ATP is fully waterproof not just weatherproof ... How based on that info alone is the Whites one step over Garrett?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread