New MX5

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Based that I owned the atpro for over an year and was VERY happy the day I sold it.... The mx5 is more or less like an mxt pro ... And I have owned ALL the whites M series detectors and they perform way better ray the Garrett....

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol ... That still tells me nothing really!!!

Hard to take advice when there is nothing said that tells us WHY you feel one way about one or the other?

I was looking for more concrete results and thoughts that I can't seem to get from anyone who has owned both ... just sounds like you are a "whites" guy and like the whites better.

And that's okay ... I do like a Whtes as well as in all reality that is all I have ever used in the past ... that's the main reason I am inquiring about this MX5 before I pull the trigger on the garrett ATP.

But there is WAY to much information and reviews available that directly go against what you say about the ATP (from your reply in another thread) to take it all in .... I just have to these thoughts with a grain of salt I guess cause we all know one guys dream machine is another guys hated machine.

It all boils down to how well you know what you are using .... and I have no doubt whichever one I decide to own I will no doubt take the time to be one that machine and easily keep up with a guy that has "the other machine"
Thanks for chiming in though and telling us your if nothing else "your opinion" on the two! :)

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could always pay just a little more & get both in lightly used & try out both first hand & either keep em both or sell the other I know u could find used but really new that someone bought either & for whatever reason is selling I buy used to for that reason to save a few buck u can still get a great close to new with warranty

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately it's one or the other for me ... if I had the money really to potentially buy both even used both together wold cost near a grand ... if that's the case I would buy a single Better unit like the Minelab etc ( I really want the Safari but just way out of my range unfortunately in restarting this hobby ... maybe in the future if it sticks).

I am pretty set on AT Pro so it's almost a mute point really ... just trying to gather more info before I make a 100% final decision is all.

Always good to research ahead of time and also its great cause I learn so much more about newer detectors and what else is out there just to in the know.

Thanks so much. :)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I hear ya if money was at no option I wonder what all would get myself, but in all honesty like I said before I have used the Atpro for awhile at that & higher end detectors for awhile at that I seen & done side by sided with the pro that it will.pick up those swap targets that the higher end ones do, & you get that option of not stopping detecting if the rain comes in or ur out in the woulds & at the end of a trail.is a small pond, you can. Just go for it,

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
show the hole dector that way there is transperity

liftloop

Last edited:

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
i would never buy the at pro ive used one and def not for me way to chatty and love bottlecaps. my machine over a bottle cap says iron atpro over a bottle cap says dig me im a copper penny lol until u mess around with iron audio and sweep the edge etc forget that who wants to mess around while the atpro guy is messing around tring to figure out weather he has a bottlecap ive allready passed and moved on to the coins. just my opinion many love them and do wll with them i just dont like them

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i would never buy the at pro ive used one and def not for me way to chatty and love bottlecaps. my machine over a bottle cap says iron atpro over a bottle cap says dig me im a copper penny lol until u mess around with iron audio and sweep the edge etc forget that who wants to mess around while the atpro guy is messing around tring to figure out weather he has a bottlecap ive allready passed and moved on to the coins. just my opinion many love them and do wll with them i just dont like them

When you spend more than 20min with one, you learn it's THEE best machine to use for bottle caps. Gives a easy to distinguish low high low tone on caps w/o IA. If you're digging bottle caps with the ATP, it's on you, not the machine!
But your magic machine that ID's ALL bottle caps (regardless of what they're made of) as iron, I'd hang on to that too.

Good luck

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
When you spend more than 20min with one, you learn it's THEE best machine to use for bottle caps. Gives a easy to distinguish low high low tone on caps w/o IA. If you're digging bottle caps with the ATP, it's on you, not the machine!
But your magic machine that ID's ALL bottle caps (regardless of what they're made of) as iron, I'd hang on to that too.

Good luck

ya my machine isnt goin anywhere its a keeper for sure it has it short commings tho no machine is perfect. ur right tho i didnt use it very long i didnt like it right away. other machines i tried i liked instantly the v3i for example really liked that machine

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had both of those the Atpro & v3i both on bottle caps are so different. The Atpro has much better tone for the I'd of bottle caps, & the v3i if you take the time to know how to read the graphs you will know what & how big a cap is under that coil especially with say pilot plot ull know instantly, same with the pro it might not have those fancy screens but u do know when u hitva cap the way the tone breaks

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had both of those the Atpro & v3i both on bottle caps are so different. The Atpro has much better tone for the I'd of bottle caps, & the v3i if you take the time to know how to read the graphs you will know what & how big a cap is under that coil especially with say pilot plot ull know instantly, same with the pro it might not have those fancy screens but u do know when u hitva cap the way the tone breaks
Yep, one of the biggest reasons why I like my ATP better than my V. You just know instantly by hearing it instead of analyzing it w/screens. Just different tools for getting results.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, one of the biggest reasons why I like my ATP better than my V. You just know instantly by hearing it instead of analyzing it w/screens. Just different tools for getting results.

Exactly n thats what makes each different there all no where near the same there all just different tools for the job, its like I get a kick out of hearing people say mines the best it will out do all & it won't there just liking what they found so far,so think nothing could find amymore, I used th thinl.the same until I actually started using different machines goin over the same areas some cheaper machines would do better the higher end its just a tool that's all

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck
So you know their bottlecaps even with out digging, there is your magic. You may be right some of the time but not all of the time. I hunt with three guys with atps on a couple ghosttown site where some really coll buttons come up same as bottle caps. you are right there are no magic detectors.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
So you know their bottlecaps even with out digging, there is your magic. You may be right some of the time but not all of the time. I hunt with three guys with atps on a couple ghosttown site where some really coll buttons come up same as bottle caps. you are right there are no magic detectors.

nope no majic detectors but some detectors are better at some things than others. coil selection plays a big part in how your machine behaves.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep! 99%

Do I still dig em, yep, but I call em first! Fact not magic!

If you knew FOR SURE ... You wouldn't dig em' :p

But I assume the more you become one with your machine the better you get having a better idea what you dig before you dig it as time goes on.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
edit…enough off topic stuff here already!

Last edited:

markkeele

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
new salisbury
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro and whites dfx spectrum e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my MX5, its a little more chatty than some of the other machines I've used, but I've found it to be fast accurate, and it goes deep, it is very well balanced, and it seems to be set up for a lefty with the headphone jack on the right, seeing as I'm a lefty I don't have exception to this, the coil connection is a little awkward, but once its connected how often is that an issue? I love the light weight and the fact that you can put it in standby mode,, I regularly hunt with with folks who use Garrett machines and more than keep up with them, yes even the AT Pro, for me this is the best machine, not bashing just stating fact, the only advantage then at pro has over my MX5 is the water proof controls, wish my MX5 was waterproof, but I can live with it not being, so I give it two thumbs up and will continue to use and enjoy my MX5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread