DFX: Lets examine Jeff Fosters "Digging Deeper with the DFX"

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFX: Let's examine Jeff Foster's "Digging Deeper with the DFX"

I have 7 or so publications explaining how to get the most of the Whites DFX 300. I purchased my detector 5 years ago and have barely scratched the surface (no pun) with this incredible machine. In my recent perusals of these publications, Jeff Foster's "Digging Deeper with the DFX" http://www.fielddepth.com
stands head and shoulders above the rest. This thread is created with the goal of discussing Foster's book implications and real world application to treasure hunting. Foster writes with enthusiasm and demonstrates a deep understanding of the principles and practical utility of this machine.

Foster DFX.jpg

I have read descriptions of ground filtering many times and it always seemed arcane and overly technical. Foster provides an easy to understand explanation and I now know why I am maintaining the sweep speed of the search coil. Here's a quote found on p. 54 of his book:

"GROUND FILTERING works by allowing only fast changing signals from the search coil to be processed by the DFX. This process is said to 'separate' the slower changing ground mineralization signal from the target signal. The effects of mineralization are minimized and an accurate VDI number of the target is obtained.

This concept of blocking slower changing signals while passing faster changing signals is key to understanding how GROUND FILTERING operates on the DFX. It is this principle that creates the motion requirement in 'Motion Mode.' The search coil must move, relative to the target, to create a fast changing signal. Because GROUND FILTERING works based on how fast a signal changes, it should be clear that the speed at which the search coil is moved past a target will have a significant impact on its performance."

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you are understanding how it works.....:occasion14:

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On page 42, Digging Deeper with the DFX available at http://www.fielddepth.com ,
Jeff Foster addresses "Measuring the Ground's V.D.I number":

"The VDI number of the ground can be measured by using the D.C. PHASE feature".

Foster states that this can be accessed in the PRO OPTIONS - DISPLAY .

If this feature is enabled, a V.D.I. number will be displayed in the upper right corner of the pinpointing screen.

Place the coil head on a metal-free area of the ground, pull the trigger, and the V.D.I. of the ground will be displayed in the upper right area of the display.

Foster states that the ground's V.D.I. number, for example less than -80, may cue the operator that '3kHz only' may be better than '15 kHz only' mode for high V.D.I. targets such as silver and copper U.S. coins, because of the ground-balance wrap.

I don't understand the last statement.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread