DFX 300 and Gray Ghost headphone compatibility

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently brought out my dfx 300 to get ready for spring. I also found my pair of gray ghost deep woods headphones which I hardly ever used. I remember when I purchased them I read stories of how well they performed. I tried using them with my dfx only to find erratic and intermittent noise. the audio threshold (hum) would drop out occasionally and then the target volume was just too loud even on the lowest setting. it became too annoying to use.
my questions are:
1. does anyone use gray ghost headphones with their dfx 300? if so how do they perform?
2. the deep woods model ghosts have two switches on the inside ear cup, what position is preferred?

I trying to determine if I don't just have a bum pair of headphones.

thanks in advance.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to many answers here and i know there is a lot of DFX's out there.. I don't have one but i would like to see the answer …. Do the Grey ghost work on your other detectors? Could be the detector..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy is right about it could just be the detector. That was my first thought when I read the post. I have never use the Grey Ghost phones on my DFX but used the Black Widow's and the tonal quality was excellent. I would try to clean out the female jack with a Q-Tip and alcohol.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if he will come back and tell us what might have been wrong with his DFX & headphones???

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a can of Nu-Trol contact and control cleaner for over 10 years now and it is still about half full. I was an electronics tech when I retired and this is the best stuff that I've ever used, I checked about a year ago and it's still available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread