Bought My First Real Detector Today

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been wanting a good detector for a while. I had done some research online and it seemed I would like the MXT or XLT Spectrum model. From what I read it seemed the MXT would be better suited to a novice like me. I had bought a cheap Bounty Hunter a couple years ago but soon became discouraged with it since it didn't really work.

I spent the last few months scouring the local for sale ads and ran across a used but in like new condition MXT with the original Eclipse 950 coil and an extra Eclipse DD coil and arm. It also came with a White's Bullseye pinpointer, digging tools, carry case etc. I had to try it out for a little while at the swimming hole on the way home today. Only had 20 minutes or so to kill but found a shell casing, 2 copper jacketed bullets and a modern Washington quarter. Can't wait til I have some time toactually go to some of the old home and mill sites around here!

Tim-MXT

Mar 9, 2014
Beaverton/Hillsboro Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's V3I, White's TRX Pinpointer, Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an MXT as my first machine. So far it seems pretty straight forward and easy to use. Still learning the hobby but I think the MXT is a good MD.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats,the MXT is a great detector. You didn't say what DD coil you got but the D2( 10" DD coil ) is a great coil for depth and is awesome paired with the MXT. HH

Trevset

Mar 19, 2014
I just recently purchased an MXT Pro myself and I absolutely love it. You will really enjoy it, I know I enjoy mine!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a great detector
you will love it
all ways tune 90 degrees over you target
if it beep here but pinpoints over there it's iron
a good target beeps and pinpoints in the same spot
the icon and number have to mach for it to be a good target
have fun

liftloop

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not always though as just at the end of last season I had a good signal and pinpointed just barely off and I dug a yard dart tip, then swung again and right next to that similar VDI target was two silver quarters a standing liberty and a silver Washington quarter. HH
that is a great detector
you will love it
all ways tune 90 degrees over you target
if it beep here but pinpoints over there it's iron
a good target beeps and pinpoints in the same spot
the icon and number have to mach for it to be a good target
have fun

liftloop

Last edited:
OP
OP
PoplarHill

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chance to really try it out today. I found 2 dimes, 2 pennies and a quarter. That is not to mention all the aluminum cans I dug up. I tried both coils today also. The DD coil I have is the oblong shaped white/cream colored one. For some reason aluminum cans show up as either a solid 70's VDI penny or dime or 80's VDI quarter. I've tried going around the target from different angles befor digging but that is how cans show up and I have been digging lots of them today.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a chance to really try it out today. I found 2 dimes, 2 pennies and a quarter. That is not to mention all the aluminum cans I dug up. I tried both coils today also. The DD coil I have is the oblong shaped white/cream colored one. For some reason aluminum cans show up as either a solid 70's VDI penny or dime or 80's VDI quarter. I've tried going around the target from different angles befor digging but that is how cans show up and I have been digging lots of them today.

No getting around the aluminum cans ringing up as coins with any detector. Try sizing the target by lifting the coil a few inches if you do not want to dig all the cans. If it still rings out loud and clear it's not a coin.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That DD coil sounds like the Eclipse 6x10. IMO probably the best coil for the MXT. I haven't used the 10" D2 much on the MXT (only on my V3i), but I hear it's a great setup. GL & HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try and run my MXT at +2 gain and with the D2 coil I can get dimes at 10"+ with some at 12" before, you might not always want to run that hot in high EMI area's as you don't want to much noise in the headphones to hear those deep whisper targets as these are usually the deep good old coins and you want a good set of headphones to hear those deep whisper targets it does make a difference of a cheap set of headphones. The D2 coil is killer on the deep targets though I have two as I don't ever want to feel I miss the deep stuff, I go to an old park that has been pounded since the 70's and turn my discriminate to 7 and listen for those whisper targets only to avoid wasting time digging most clad and modern trash and still pull silver dimes and deep wheats there as those deep crusty wheats will often VDI like a deep dime. HH

floydsorenson

Greenie
Apr 16, 2014
Just picked up a mxt 300 my first real detector found allot of cans and caps and pull tabs but a few coins mostly newer stuff one 1944 penny in my back yard. Found a weird bottle cap that looks like a base ball cap in a old camp ground found out it was a mid 60s cap that was only produced for a short time. Anyway really enjoying my new toy and thinking of getting a new coil either a d2 or a 6*10 eclipse any preference or pros or con's for either ?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The D2 coil is amazing on the MXT it will get the deep stuff that the 6X10 DD just doesn't have a chance to get, the 6X10 DD coil is a good coil don't get me wrong and I use it where the trash is heavier but I use the D2 far more as I don't have to worry about missing the deep good old coins. The MXT with the D2 coil will keep pace with the V3i and the E-trac on depth, I never feel outgunned with my MXT. HH

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I had the MXT and sold it like an idiot. I bought a F75LT and then the White M6 which is a great machine and probably the easiest to use.

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my mxt. I like the little DD shooter coil for trashy areas. Congrats! On the new detector..

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The MXT is one of Whites best models as have had 3 of them. Been detecting 44 yrs and the MXT is a real winner with out the needless programming with tactile pads. Has many heads for it and can do the job. I also like the MX6 as it just doesn't have the notch feature for some hunters,but can match depth with the MXT. You won't be disappointed with it.

floydsorenson

Greenie
Apr 16, 2014
Think I'm going to by a d2 coil sounds like that's the one for deep and good separation my current 12 spider is way to much trashy ground it will drive you nuts but it does get good depth .

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the 300MM coil which is the same as the 12" coil which I don't even own anymore as its ok if your in extremely clean ground like an open field with very little targets but I don't often ever detect anywhere like that. I have a coil now that covers even more ground and separates pretty good for such a big coil the detech ultimate 13" DD coil, its not any deeper than the D2 coil but it is as deep and seems to hit harder on those real deep whisper coins that are on edge and covers a lot of ground for open parks and other open area's. HH
Think I'm going to by a d2 coil sounds like that's the one for deep and good separation my current 12 spider is way to much trashy ground it will drive you nuts but it does get good depth .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread