v3i questionable signal

moxford

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolling along, iron signal with breakup, nice negative VDI ... then solid quarter signal. Repeatable.

Dig dig dig ... just the head of the nail. ??? It was getting to the point where I would be able to tell where the head was when it was buried, but above ground it was all -VDI. Did this a few more times to convince myself I wasn't crazy then just passed on them.

So I moved to a totlot to practice. Near the vertical metal structure poles I'm getting a solid signal for coil at 2". Repeatable. I get closer to the poles and it turns to -VDI mud. Dig dig dig ... 8" down into the bark and soil beneath it and nothing. V3i still says coin at 2-3" while over an 8" hole. Nothing on the perimeter ... dead center.

What is going on that fooling this thing? Messed up GB? 4x6 shooter coil on the stock coins/jewelry program.

Thanks!

-mox

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one is called a halo.. iron get oxidized and that ring of oxidation is conductive and rings up high like quarter or silver, read more here Halo Effect
A very good reason not to discriminate out iron.. High tone followed directly with iron or other way around.. high tone not repeatable in all directions.. most likely old big iron or old small iron.. like that nail..
Second was you are to close to the pole.. coil field goes down in the ground but also up.. put the shooter on the ground let it sit a minute then slide it slowly along the fence.. may still pick up the fence and poles.... the CM GT does. so would your higher end machine

Last edited:

Greg407

Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3 - 6x10, 5.3, & 950 Coils

Whites XLT - 5.3 & 950 Coils
I think I've just had a breakthrough (no surprise, with Fox's help) with this issue as well as with the silent pinpointing issue that has plagued some V users. Try turning on Salt Compensate in the Frequencies menu at the same site and see if you have the same issues.

Also, if you run into the silent pinpoint issue while running in regular 3-frequency mode, try switching to SC and see if you can hear it on pinpoint.

I'd like to hear your results as this is very much in observation/hypothesis stage and would love to hear your positive or negative test results.

Thanks.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed silent pinpointing on rings and coins on edge straight up. It will null out the pinpoint audio sometimes directly over the target.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I think I've just had a breakthrough (no surprise, with Fox's help) with this issue as well as with the silent pinpointing issue that has plagued some V users. Try turning on Salt Compensate in the Frequencies menu at the same site and see if you have the same issues.

Also, if you run into the silent pinpoint issue while running in regular 3-frequency mode, try switching to SC and see if you can hear it on pinpoint.

I'd like to hear your results as this is very much in observation/hypothesis stage and would love to hear your positive or negative test results.

Thanks.

I really don't think that Fox agreed the salt compensation was a glory answer for the no audio in PP. I am personally convinced though from recent testing that the SaltC setting certainly runs the V3i smoother. I would love to hear that the Whites experts actually came in and agreed that the audio in pinpoint really had an answer to the question. To me, it seems they always seem political and reserved about this situation over loss of audio when going into PP...an all metal mode. In my opinion???, it's not definitive from the guru's corners yet that SC is the answer.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get that silent all metal PP thing all the time. Usually I have pulled back the trigger while too close to the target. I usually will pull the trigger a foot or more away from the target and bring it back over it and then get an audio response.

Greg407

Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used

I really don't think that Fox agreed the salt compensation was a glory answer for the no audio in PP. I am personally convinced though from recent testing that the SaltC setting certainly runs the V3i smoother. I would love to hear that the Whites experts actually came in and agreed that the audio in pinpoint really had an answer to the question. To me, it seems they always seem political and reserved about this situation over loss of audio when going into PP...an all metal mode. In my opinion???, it's not definitive from the guru's corners yet that SC is the answer.

You're right. I think Fox's contribution was inadvertent but, nevertheless, if I hadn't asked him a question about another issue (to which he suggested SC), I might never have tried it and noticed the positive results in AM mode. So, whether it was by accident or not, I have to mention that he helped me solve my issue.

Also, the jury is still out on whether this is, in fact, a solution. But both you and I have had the positive results, so I'm hoping to hear from others as well to see if they have positive or negative results.

G

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what would be the downside to using SC all the time?

Greg407

Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used

So what would be the downside to using SC all the time?

There is some more specific info on the Whites forum on the recent thread I started, but in summary you might lose a bit of depth. Also, apparently the DFX is always in SC mode, so it was good enough for that machine. I've never swung a DFX but I have a good friend who does very well with his.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread