6 Week TRX Pinpointer functionality review versus the Propointer

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have extensively used the Garrett Propointer and for a little while, the Minelab Profind 25 and I wanted to give my review and comparison on the White's TRX. I waited till after 8-10 hunts in order to get used to the functionality of the TRX and also to give a more thorough review on it.

In use you momentarily press and hold the button to turn it on. If you continue to hold the button down it goes into different modes, whereby you can run it on vibrate and tones, tones only or vibrate only mode. Once you set it at the setting that you like, when you turn it off it will retain the settings. If after you turn it on, hold the button down past the point of turning it off, and then continue to hold the button down until you hear 2 short beeps and then release and then immediately hold the button back down for 5 seconds than it will go into the sensitivity settings. It will then beep 4 times for the highest sensitivity setting 3, 2 and then 1 for the lowest setting. Once you turn it off it will retain both the mode and sensitivity setting. I keep mine on 3 which will find a coin about the same distance as a Propointer. Setting it at 1 will find a penny perhaps at 3/4" and the 4th setting will find a penny at approximately the 3" range.

The TRX is 1-1/4" longer than the Propointer and it is almost square unlike the Propointer which is round in shape. Both measure almost exactly the same in diameter. The tip of the TRX is almost square and measures a little under 3/4" X 3/4". The Propinter is approximately 5/8" in diameter and also has the blade down the side for digging.

Functionality of the TRX:

The TRX vibrates more like the Profind 25 which isn't as pronounced as the Propointer. It took me some getting used to feeling the finer vibrations of the TRX. I go off of feel versus sound so this is important to me. I think that the smaller tip may be of an advantage over the Propointer, but it is only sensitive at the tip and toward the handle. I like the mode options. I rely primarily on feel versus sound and I keep the TRX on vibrate. If you are trying to stay "covert" you will lose some of this because the TRX will double beep rather loud once you turn it off. I would think that in quiet mode, it would not make a sound even when you turn it off.

There is a "dead spot" past the tip, which does cause a problem when you rake the loose dirt trying to find what you had just dug. I had to adjust my technique and hold the TRX at more of a 90 degree toward the ground, which took me slightly longer and a few times I had missed the coin that was in the loose dirt.

The sensitivity settings are a plus. Often when a coin is deeper than my initial hole, I will turn the sensitivity all the way up to exactly determine where I need to dig further and then turn it back down. 90% of the time I will dig a hole 4" or less in diameter and then burrow an inch or two over to the inside of the hole and this is an advantage. It takes a precious minute or two longer to go through the settings in order to adjust the sensitivity, but the advantage of having this outweighs the time it takes. Another advantage I found with the higher settings, is that you can use the TRX like an above ground pinpointer before you dig. This could also help with the "probe and pop" technique in sensitive digging areas.

Unlike the Propointer, I have to ground balance the TRX a lot more. This is accomplished by turning the TRX off in the hole and then quickly turning it back on. It will then clean up a lot of the falsing, but I am unsure why the TRX loses balance more often than the Propointer. The TRX seems to false quit more than other pinpointers that I have used.

The sounds are about as loud as the Propointer, but maybe a little more quiet.

In summary:

Pros:

Longer
Sensitivity adjustments
Mode adjustments
Smaller tip
Ability to ground balance

Cons:

Still beeps once you turn it off even in quiet mode
Lose of sensor at the middle of the probe
Much finer vibrations which may be difficult for some people to feel especially with gloves on.
Seems to false more than any pinpointer I have used before
Minor: No "dirt blade" down the side
Light is less bright than the Propointer, but this is minor also
Minor: there is not an explanation on how to set the sensitivity settings up in the package instructions

Conclusion:

I am glad that I purchased the TRX overall. Seems like it is well built and I feel that it is rugged. I feel that in another 6 months to a year we will know if there are any quality issues pertaining to the TRX. It took me a few hunts to get used to the differences in functionality and feel than the Propointer, but it is growing on me fast. I absolutely would recommend the TRX. I feel that the higher price is justified with the additional features it has.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do you keep adjusting the sensitivity when you can just tap the button and rachet the sensitivity down as you get closer to the target?

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do you keep adjusting the sensitivity when you can just tap the button and rachet the sensitivity down as you get closer to the target?

The TRX is fairly complex for a pinpointer. I just learned that there is even a way to "invert" the modes and sensitivity settings, where you don't have to go through the push and hold, let off and push again and then wait five seconds to adjust. Then there is also a factory reset mode to adjust everything back to the original set-up.

None of this is covered on the package. I wonder if it will even dig the hole for you!

I just wanted to add that after further testing the sensitivity spots on the pinpointer, it appears that the very tip is sensitive and then there is no real sensitivity until you get closer to the handle/light area. It then seems to go slightly past the bulb. I am not sure if there is a way to adjust this, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is.

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the pro pointer and have a Kellyco Vulcan 360. Love the quick speed and detection of the pro pointer. The Vulcan has to run through a process every time it's turned on. You can adjust the sensitivity too. But when I uses pinpoiter I want it simple good and fast. That's what the Pro pointer does for me

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Review ..

I've paid $50 down on a new pinpointer was always in the market for a propointer but now i'm thinking about the TRX.

For me I want my pin-pointer at max -Sensitivity all the time , cause I want it to Respond to a target (be it a Small Gold Ring/ Nugget, or a Silver dime. At the Furthest Distance Possible .

IYO Would running it at MAX Sensitivity Cause any Falsing Issues or any other?

My bullseye 2 " Gave up the Ghost " on my last hunt , So I should be getting a new one ASAP.

Thanks Davers
Does it get better Depth than the Pro-Pointer ? in most soil Conditions.

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my Propointer, but I won't rest until I try a TRX. I think more depth and having detection concentrated to the tip would be a good thing.

It might be easier to size up a target having the detection at the tip.

I had a signal just today that was a little off due to the side detection of the Garrett PP. No complaints tho. I just haven't tried enough pinpointers to say which one I like best.

Ok, I'm talking myself into buying a TRX.

jcCALIF

Jun 13, 2012
Yorba Linda
Detector(s) used
TDI PRO, VX3, Surfmaster PI PRO, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Pointman, for a very thorough review. I didn't realize you can ground balance the TRX. I had previously noticed some false signals when trying to pin point in a hole. You better tell Whites about the sensitivity setting feature. Maybe they are not aware of it?

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Review ..

I've paid $50 down on a new pinpointer was always in the market for a propointer but now i'm thinking about the TRX.

For me I want my pin-pointer at max -Sensitivity all the time , cause I want it to Respond to a target (be it a Small Gold Ring/ Nugget, or a Silver dime. At the Furthest Distance Possible .

IYO Would running it at MAX Sensitivity Cause any Falsing Issues or any other?

My bullseye 2 " Gave up the Ghost " on my last hunt , So I should be getting a new one ASAP.

Thanks Davers
Does it get better Depth than the Pro-Pointer ? in most soil Conditions.

It definitely gets greater depth than the Propointer. One of the great advantages of the TRX is that you can adjust the sensitivity to max and it will find targets that you may have missed way off initially pinpointing. The disadvantage of this, is that in max settings it will detect items far away. Today, I dug a 70s' metal liter Coke bottle lid from 6 inches away. I constantly switch between sensitivity 3 and 4, and I have switched the settings where I go first into the sensitivity settings in the initial adjustments verses the vibrations settings. At setting 4, I have to move my Sampson digger 3 feet away in order not to interfere.

I haven't noticed it being less stable in full sensitivity settings, but I do notice that it will false a lot more than the other pinpointers I have used. For me, the biggest issue that I have with the TRX is that it is only sensitive at the tip, which causes me to hold the pointer at more of a 90 degree angle and the vibrations are not as pronounced as the Propointer.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Pointman for the quick reply.

I suppose having that much sensitivity can be a good and a bad thing , at least you have the choice.

Sounds like a good Pointer for the newer Soccer Fields in my area where most signals are 2-3 inches deep & the turf is fragile , These are places where i'd be using a probe & pop out method with a long flat head Screw Driver .

HH
Davers

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Pointman for the quick reply.

I suppose having that much sensitivity can be a good and a bad thing , at least you have the choice.

Sounds like a good Pointer for the newer Soccer Fields in my area where most signals are 2-3 inches deep & the turf is fragile , These are places where i'd be using a probe & pop out method with a long flat head Screw Driver .

HH
Davers
The TRX is wonderful for soccer fields and the pop method. With the proximity ability the beeps get fast and faster the closer you are. After a couple of weeks you can judge the dept before you even prob and when you do prob, you are on top of the coin every single time. I just stared doing this a couple of weeks ago and it is so simple and fast with no Plug cutting or anything much to fix after the recover! When hutting this type of location for quarters and dimes, I don't even look that the MD depth gauge as I know when I pin point with the TRX if I need to cut a plug or just pop the coin.

Issues I read about: Some complain the TRX falses and chats.. This is most likely because they have not ground grabbed after powering it on. The TRX has GROUND TRACKING and as such need to be ground balanced. If you turn it on with it away from the ground and other metal items it will not be ground balance and pick up the ground as a target which makes it chat.. Just put it on the ground away from your target and hopefully other metal in the ground and hit the button.. No more chatting.. If for chance you are over metal and the unit seems desensitized point it up and hit the button to go back to no ground balance..

It falses when I hold it in my hand and walk along... NO it is picking up your digger or change in your pocket.. it will pick up Large Metal Items form a foot or more.. If I want to leave it on, I put it against my digger and hit the button.. next target just point up and hit the button..

Unfortunately for some people, it is to complicated to work as it is really a hand held MD and as such I feel it would have been worth another $50 or $75 to me if they had included VDI and depth display on the top of it.

I can't hear it: Get your thumb off the sound opening! Hold it so the sound opening faces you not ways.
The sound is produced by a piezo driver mounted on the board inside the housing (this allows the housing to be replaceable nothing is attached to it). There is a small cylinder shaped projection that focuses the sound to the sealed diaphragm on case. This sealed diaphragm reduces the sound output but enables the unit to be WATER PROOF, yes it says weather resistant in the manual because you can not go diving with it, but for shallow water like a creek or when washing off the mud it will not leak.

There are a few similar units on the market including a new one recently posted, however, these competitors are NOT designed and manufactures here in the US or A nor do they indicate a replaceable shell, at least I have not read that anywhere.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets just say that the definition of "disappointment" is when you take that long walk from the vehicle to the hunt site and once there you reach into the pouch and find that you have picked up the wrong pin pointer from the tote bag and it is not the TRX. You will do like I did, you will take the trip back and exchange that one for the TRX for the hunt. Get use to the TRX's operation and the rest just fall short and it is like having a foreign object in your hand once you learn how well the Whites unit works. Thanks for the review.

tebb23

Greenie
May 31, 2014
Va Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics EuroTek Pro

Arrived and has been used. Found a 1910 penny and a bunch of junk in my first hour.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TRX is wonderful for soccer fields and the pop method. With the proximity ability the beeps get fast and faster the closer you are. After a couple of weeks you can judge the dept before you even prob and when you do prob, you are on top of the coin every single time. I just stared doing this a couple of weeks ago and it is so simple and fast with no Plug cutting or anything much to fix after the recover! When hutting this type of location for quarters and dimes, I don't even look that the MD depth gauge as I know when I pin point with the TRX if I need to cut a plug or just pop the coin.

Issues I read about: Some complain the TRX falses and chats.. This is most likely because they have not ground grabbed after powering it on. The TRX has GROUND TRACKING and as such need to be ground balanced. If you turn it on with it away from the ground and other metal items it will not be ground balance and pick up the ground as a target which makes it chat.. Just put it on the ground away from your target and hopefully other metal in the ground and hit the button.. No more chatting.. If for chance you are over metal and the unit seems desensitized point it up and hit the button to go back to no ground balance..

It falses when I hold it in my hand and walk along... NO it is picking up your digger or change in your pocket.. it will pick up Large Metal Items form a foot or more.. If I want to leave it on, I put it against my digger and hit the button.. next target just point up and hit the button..

Unfortunately for some people, it is to complicated to work as it is really a hand held MD and as such I feel it would have been worth another $50 or $75 to me if they had included VDI and depth display on the top of it.

I can't hear it: Get your thumb off the sound opening! Hold it so the sound opening faces you not ways.
The sound is produced by a piezo driver mounted on the board inside the housing (this allows the housing to be replaceable nothing is attached to it). There is a small cylinder shaped projection that focuses the sound to the sealed diaphragm on case. This sealed diaphragm reduces the sound output but enables the unit to be WATER PROOF, yes it says weather resistant in the manual because you can not go diving with it, but for shallow water like a creek or when washing off the mud it will not leak.

There are a few similar units on the market including a new one recently posted, however, these competitors are NOT designed and manufactures here in the US or A nor do they indicate a replaceable shell, at least I have not read that anywhere.

I am about to purchase the TRX and from what I have read, the instructions don't include all the tips and tricks people have learned about it. I'm new to detecting anyway and the TRX will obviously be brand new to me. Would you mind posting some of the tips/tricks you have learned regarding the TRX and it's functions, it would be greatly appreciated. I would much rather understand how to use it then just try to wing it.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about to purchase the TRX and from what I have read, the instructions don't include all the tips and tricks people have learned about it. I'm new to detecting anyway and the TRX will obviously be brand new to me. Would you mind posting some of the tips/tricks you have learned regarding the TRX and it's functions, it would be greatly appreciated. I would much rather understand how to use it then just try to wing it.

Just read the manual and use it.. not tick to it.. if you ground grab (ground balance) it works fine.. that is in the instructions that most people that complain don't bother to read or read and understand/remember. Tips and tricks are all in the Whites forum dedicated to the TRX..

neworder

May 5, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 and Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a "dead spot" past the tip, which does cause a problem when you rake the loose dirt trying to find what you had just dug. I had to adjust my technique and hold the TRX at more of a 90 degree toward the ground, which took me slightly longer and a few times I had missed the coin that was in the loose dirt.

I actually consider this a better feature. You have to think of the TRX much like a flashlight that you shine around in the hole. You can quickly detect if you have moved the tip of the pinpointer past a target that may be located half way on the side of the hole. By being able to aim the pointer like a flashlight, you can find your target much faster.

Here is a very good video that shows the detection field of the TRX and Pro-Pointer. At about 7mins into the video you can can see the detection patterns of each pinpointer.

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the TRX for about a week,I have a minelab pro find 25, and I like the TRX a lot better..still getting to know it but I can tell already that it has a lot more depth than the pro find..

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We turn our sensitivity down to 3 and sometimes 2 on the Whites TRX. It is very deep even on 2.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have paid about 100 Bucks down on a new pinpointer , they had both in stock Yesterday ,& it looks like the TRX will be the one I Buy, I need it def, before Oct, for use in a Seeded Club Hunt.
Thanks for the Reviews.
Davers

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
My detector pretty well locates the target and how deep it will be.For me, a pinpointer is for locating the target in the hole.You do realize that you can turn the Propointer off/on while it is in the hole to detune and narrow the target?Most areas I hunt have lots of rusty nails and such to distract a pinpointer, so,unless they have one with discrimination,more power would be useless.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My detector pretty well locates the target and how deep it will be.For me, a pinpointer is for locating the target in the hole.You do realize that you can turn the Propointer off/on while it is in the hole to detune and narrow the target?Most areas I hunt have lots of rusty nails and such to distract a pinpointer, so,unless they have one with discrimination,more power would be useless.

You don't have to turn the TRX on and off in the hole, you just tap the button and it ratchets down the sensitivity.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I like the Propointer, IMHO the TRX sensitivity at the tip is a plus. I've wasted a lot of time because the detecting pattern of the Propointer was too encompassing.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread