Looking for info on Whites TDI Pro

Longjohn69r

Jul 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for information about the Whites TDI Pro but it seems from various forums that not many people are using them. I would like to hear from people who have actually used this detector and hear their thoughts on performance, usability etc.

I've been reading and watching everything I can about this machine as I'm keen to find out more before I buy one.

I come across this topic https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6764 which shows it to be a very capable machine but I'm still not convinced. It's a lot of money to spend and I don't want to regret my decision later on.

I've posted this on another forum but would really appreciate any advice.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an original TDI (first after the through the hole models) and later a TDI Pro. I kept and still have the TDI and sold the Pro on. This seems a bit back to front as later models are always supposed to be "improved" but my older model had the edge on wet sand and I prefered the battery check system of the original model.

Gold hunting inland is where the addition of fine/coarse controls in the new model would be an advantage. You also get away from the "lift before shifting switches" of the original models which really do annoy me. If you have a cover on which you should at all times these stop the switches being lifted. Either model seem very reliable. I've thousands of hours in with my TDI on the beach with no problems.

If the beach is not your bag, though I hate to say it, I would go with Minelab. The alternating short/long pulses do get you the performance you need on really bad ground. Only question is will you be able to justify the cost ?

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have used a TDI Pro for 3 years and it is my favorite detector. But it is difficult to use on very trashy beaches if you are looking for gold.
The interchangeable coils mean you can look for chains and pendants at the hi tide line with a small coil, then change to a large coil and go deeper than anyone else along a coin line at low tide. You can discriminate to some extent both by the high conductor/low conductor function, and by adjusting the pulse rate.
It is a wonderful machine for finding deep silver on land sites also.
Another reason that i like this detector is that the threshold is noisy; if you are not using good coil control/appropriate settings, the threshold changes and you know right away that you are losing depth. But with a lot of VLF machines, there is nothing to alert you that you are overrunning targets.
If it were only waterproof!!
I hope this helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread