Jul 28, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo 3x.JPG photo 2x.JPG photo 1x.JPG

Hello All

I'm getting back into the hobby. I have an Whites Quantum II that I bought I think in the late 90's.
What do you think of my relic of a detector?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't handled that model, but I'd give it a good try before upgrading.
luvsdux

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of new technology out now. The quantum is a good machine, but you have a lot of choices now that weren't available when your Quantum came out.

Wayne

www.metaldetetingstuff.com

OP
OP
D

DOGONE1945

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Wayne,

Can you describe some of the new advantages?

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1029925 View attachment 1029926 View attachment 1029927

Hello All

I'm getting back into the hobby. I have an Whites Quantum II that I bought I think in the late 90's.
What do you think of my relic of a detector?

It is a perfectly functional single frequency machine with many coil choices that does fine in low mineralized ground or dry beach sand but does not do well in wet salt sand or mineralized ground. It does well in iron trashy areas as it is quick to reset after an iron null. I got this machine in the late 1990's and recently had Whites upgrade it to a Quantum XT (upgrade allows adjusting SAT speed as well as several other attributes).
The newer machines have multifrequencies to better handle salt sand or mineralized ground, and more specialized discrimination screens.
My favorite coil for it is a Bigfoot coil, the combo is a quarter and ring rake in dry sand or parks or sports fields. I have found gold rings and century old silver coins with the Quantum II / 7.8 stock coil.
The basic techniques of metal detecting are easily learned/perfected with this machine, I would start using what you have and consider another machine only when you feel limited by the detector - but keep the Quantum!
Have fun getting back into metal detecting.

OP
OP
D

DOGONE1945

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for that info it was helpful. Well I was planning on taking this to a wet salty sandy beach.... lol
I take it that it wont do that will in that type of area.?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sonnar28 said it well, The newer machines may offer more frequencies, faster processors, and better discrimination. Some machines now have color display, wireless headphones, gps functionality, etc. A multi-frequency machine or pulse induction are best to use in the saltwater.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuf.com

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for that info it was helpful. Well I was planning on taking this to a wet salty sandy beach.... lol
I take it that it wont do that will in that type of area.?
Being a single frequency machine, the Quantum II will false a lot on wet salt sand, and the sensitivity will need to be lowered to keep the detector stable. Thus the usable depth will only be a few inches.
But the South Carolina coast is badly sanded in now, so the best places to hunt are the dry sand, and the extreme upper wet sand beach where fresh drops may only be a few inches down. I have used the Quantum II on wet beach sand and actually found a ring that was trapped on the shore side of a large rock. My suggestion would be to give it a try, but only at dry sand/towel line, concentrating on beach entrances and high traffic areas. Keep your expectations low, have fun, and maybe you will get lucky!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions