Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the MX5 pretty hard for the last 2 weeks and so far I would say it's been a disappointment. I've used the stock coil, 5.3 and 10x12 coil from my M6.
1'st time out with it I had troubles with the threshold constantly gaining volume forcing me to constantly turn it down, plus I would have to turn the sens down because of the constant sputtering and static in the threshold.
The next several days of hunting I had no problems with it, and it preformed well, then out of the blue it acted up again. That pretty much seemed to be the norm, ok most of the time and acting up once in a while.
I never found anything past 6"-8" and I really don't think I would, because it had a hard time locking on to copper pennies at 6". It's lousy at finding nickels. At 14 kHz you would think it would be more sensitive to nickels.
Some might say I got a bum unit and maybe I did, but at $500+ it's been a disappointment. You can go to the Whites forum and there's a few threads concerning problems with the threshold.
As of right now I'm not sure what to do with it. I should probable contact Whites customer service.
For now it will be staying in the closet.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that.....i have been looking at the MX5 for my wife and appreciate your opinion on it. Thanks!

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had mine for almost two weeks as well. I use mine with an SEF 10X12 coil. I have had excellent results. To date I have pulled 5 coins at 9"+. The threshold is not a smooth hum like I am used to. It is crackly hum I guess you would say. I would definitely prefer a nice smooth hum. White's said it is a HYPER threshold?? I run my MX5 sensitivity at 9 with no problems. I would suggest sending your machine in to be checked?? Best of luck

Jim

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whew! I''m glad I didn't pull the trigger and purchase a MX5! Heard just too many negative comments, so perhaps I'll keep looking. .Guess it is off my list!...The MXT Pro and M6 are still on it though!

NIBBLER

Apr 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really tried to like the mx5.But it was not for me.The areas I hunt are usually loaded with iron.It likes iron to much for me.Maybe in a park or yard ,it would be fine.
I think that whites could have done much more with the mx5.

markkeele

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
new salisbury
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro and whites dfx spectrum e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my mx5 for a couple of months now and at first it did seem a bit chatty to me, but with time I figured out how to use it and I have found its a very fast very accurate machine, I set the threshold so that it's just a little louder than barely audible and it is happy, I have found quarters and dimes at 8 to 9 inches, and have no trouble with nickels as they read between 20 and 23 every time, I love this machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread