Vx3 questions

Deadlift

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently acquired a new to me Vx3. Used an XLT and a Blue and gray pro in the past and missed having a whites machine. A couple issues Im having are getting the machine to lock onto target ID, even shallower targets VDI's are spotty and I have to pinpoint and get perfectly over the target to get a remotely stable ID. Also, Im more of a sound guy but cannot tell a deep target from shallow unless looking at the screen. Deeper targets dont come in "faint", this is very frustrating. Ive played with the gain and run all the programs but no luck.

Currently running the 950 concentric but have a 6x10 on the way, maybe the blade detection field locks onto targets better?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently acquired a new to me Vx3. Used an XLT and a Blue and gray pro in the past and missed having a whites machine. A couple issues Im having are getting the machine to lock onto target ID, even shallower targets VDI's are spotty and I have to pinpoint and get perfectly over the target to get a remotely stable ID. Also, Im more of a sound guy but cannot tell a deep target from shallow unless looking at the screen. Deeper targets dont come in "faint", this is very frustrating. Ive played with the gain and run all the programs but no luck. Currently running the 950 concentric but have a 6x10 on the way, maybe the blade detection field locks onto targets better?

Hi Deadlift,
Make sure VCO is turned on and do not overdrive the signal with too much gain. The VCO will fix your signal problem with the deep targets being fainter sounding and lowering the gain to 6 or so will clean up your VDI's.

OP
OP
D

Deadlift

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you rob thats exactly what I was looking for.For some reason I thought VCO had to do with only pinpointing. I believe Ive been guilty of running my gain too high. In running air tests the gain did not effect the depth much, sensitivity did drastically however.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you rob thats exactly what I was looking for.For some reason I thought VCO had to do with only pinpointing. I believe Ive been guilty of running my gain too high. In running air tests the gain did not effect the depth much, sensitivity did drastically however.

I run my gain at 6 when I hunt 90% of the time with my V3i. They are basically the same detector with more bells and whistles which I like. If it's a real clean area I run at 8-10 but I have pulled coins at about the same depth at 6 with much less chatter and accurate VDI's. I am not fully versed in the Vx3 programming but check out all your settings because you may have an option to turn on VCO in more than one place. Experiment with settings one at time in the field when you have time and use what works best in your soil. Good luck and have fun!

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also make sure you have a good ground balance too. Every so often after a few digs i'll re ground balance. good luck

Wayfarer

Dec 7, 2005
Western Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's: V3i, MXT, XL Pro
(In the past: White's: VX3, DFX, XLT, 6000 Di Pro SL, Coinmaster 2DB --- Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also make sure you have a good ground balance too. Every so often after a few digs i'll re ground balance. good luck

I second what texjim said. The V series are very sensitive to a proper ground balance. The XLT is more forgiving of a slightly off ground balance. I used to run my V3i/VX3 in loctrac and update the ground balance every so often (over clean ground!). One of the ways a not-so-perfect ground balance shows itself is with a jumpy VDI, so I bet that's your issue. Good luck!

one arm willy

Oct 15, 2014
North west Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want deeper targets to have a weaker audio response.
You need to enable modulation and set the range. It's found under search audio. Drove me crazy at first to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread