Maiden Voyage New M6 Detector & New MaxiPhone III Headphones

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
The M6 did great with the SEF 8x6 coil on it. The park was pretty trashy like all parks now days nothing old was found but I got a great feel for the M6 detector or re freshed my self as I field tested one a few years ago for several month for a local detector shop. I wish I had gotten in my 4x6 Eclipse Shooter coil in time to use it as this park had a case of the nasty trash big time. I used the tone ID mode and worked through the areas using my Killer Bee phones and then a new pair of the Jimmy Sierra MaxiPhone III not the older MaxiPhone II model headphones for a few hours this afternoon. I found myself not even wanting to wear my Killer Bees after trying the new Jimmy Sierra MaxiPhone III headphones and that surprised me big time.The new Jimmy Sierra MaxiPhone III have 150 Ohm speakers like other top end headphones but with a lower frequency than the older MaxiPhone II models did. This change according to Jimmy allowed them to hear targets at on average of 20% deeper according to there claims when tested by Digger Bob. Well I don't know about that and can't say one way or the other so far with my use of them.. But I can say the tone of the new MaxiPhone III headphones are awesome to me and they really added to the tone and sound of the tone ID function on the M6. They had a much wider fuller sounding tone to them no where as pitchy or tiny sounding for lack of better words as my Killer Bee phones. I really dig these new Jimmy Sierra MaxiPhone III headphones ( they are manufactured to Jimmy Sierra specs by Detector Pro )

I have also added a meter rain & dust cover some protective loom material on the coil cable, black taped the rods and added a protective cork ribbon (bicycle cork grip tape) over the grip to protect and prevent wear during use (the detectors stay nicer in the long run this way). I have done this to every detector I have owned over the years with great results.

I am loving the new M6 and hope to spend a lot of time with her in the field this year.

Happy Hunting To All,
mds.gif

Bill G

Attachments

• M6 detector.JPG
    M6 detector.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 86
  • M6.JPG
    M6.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 110
  • goodies.JPG
    goodies.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Junk.JPG
    Junk.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 76
  • speakers.JPG
    speakers.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im really liking those Jimmy Sierra headphones. I think I see a pair of those in my future.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Im really liking those Jimmy Sierra headphones. I think I see a pair of those in my future.

I chatted with Detector Pro after posting the above thread about the Jimmy Sierra MaxiPhone III headphones because I was having trouble registering the warranty on line, a PC thing.

I ask If I could talk specifics with someone about the new headphone design and the claimed change on Jimmy Sierra web page concerning the new headphones. At that point I got to talk with a super nice guy the Tech that builds the headphones and asked him about the lower frequency speaker that is being advertised in the Jimmy Sierra MaxiPhone III headphones that I mentioned above. He told me that the new style lower frequency speaker is now being used in all of Detector Pro newer model headphones not just the Jimmy Sierra MaxiPhone III headphones, all but the Deep Woods model. He said there is not enough room to install the newer speaker design and backing plate on that particular model and the older style higher frequency speaker is still being used on that model (the Deep Woods model). He sighted the reason for the change to the Detector Pro brand headphones was the way high continued rising cost increases to them for the older style higher frequency speakers. Now here is the kicker, he said the benefit after the fact and testing to there surprise they ended up with a better headphone with the new lower frequency speaker and the new backing plate design giving them better tone and increased volume. He also felt that was a win win for them and the customer and I agree after using the new lower frequency speaker design.

Happy Hunting,
mds.gif

Bill G

Attachments

• speakers.JPG
    speakers.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread