D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It boils down to your personal preference. The Minelab guys will say the CTX and the Dues guys will say the dues and the Whites guys will say whites. It's very hard decision to make. I have a V3i and a ATP and love them both but once you move up from the ATP the more expensive detectors have so many variables to learn it takes awhile to learn them and get used to their sounds etc.

Do your research until you're happy with what you think you want then buy it and don't look back because if you do you will always 2nd guess your decision.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my v3i Higgy and do well with it but I would love to try a Dues and a 3030. They are all great detectors and each have their own niche. I hope to own all 3 one day. You can change everything on the V to suit your hunting style but be prepared to swing it for a while to learn all the features.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate your comments and advice. Thing is, I guess that I'm looking for someone that will tell me why I should choose the V3i over the other two. A plausible argument for the V3i would go a long way. I've watched videos and read stats until I got blue in the face already. I'm almost ready to toss a coin. :cat:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate your comments and advice. Thing is, I guess that I'm looking for someone that will tell me why I should choose the V3i over the other two. A plausible argument for the V3i would go a long way. I've watched videos and read stats until I got blue in the face already. I'm almost ready to toss a coin. :cat:

Yeah I'm waiting for someone to convince me to spend another 4K on a CTX and a Dues :) if you wait for an opinion you can count on you will never buy any of them.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned all three.

The CTX has been my "go to" simply because I have more experience with it. I have lots of experience with the Deus, but I liked the ruggedness of the CTX more and the display. The Deus cannot be beat if you want a compact and light unit that will stand up to anything out there. The Deus sounds especially in multi tone are a bit high pitched and different than anything I have heard. I do think you can adjust them. The Deus is so fast especially if you raise the reactivity that you have to listen well for the short, almost clipped tones that it produces.

The V3I is a great detector. My only true complaint is that it would have seemed that White's could have done a total redesign, but if it works why change it, I guess?

Also, the V3I has a lot more variables to tweak then the CTX. I think that someone could get VERY comfortable with all the settings on the CTX much faster then the V3i. The V3I display is also top notch, and there are a lot more (and affordable) coils out there for it.

If money wasn't a factor, I would have a V3I and a CTX. Learn them both and I bet you can pull anything and everything out of a site.

To me, all three detectors are very different from one another. It is very hard for me to determine which one to choose if you had only one choice. Something to consider also if money was an object is to throw an Etrac into the mix with the V3I and Deus. True the Etrac is very different from the CTX, but I feel performance wise they are close.

Best choice, probably would be to get one and learn the heck out of it, and then acquire another. It is hard to learn multiple machines at once. Anytime I switch it up, I have to spend the first 20-30 minutes of a hunt wrapping my head around a different machine before I start to really feel comfortable.

As a general rule, I think if it is at all possible swing a detector on an actual short hunt before you buy. I've found that 90% of the people using a certain detector will love it and then 10% will hate the sounds or the ergonomics or something. I know that I am that way. Then you have to spend your time, adjusting to the detector instead of the detector adjusting to you. This can also vary by models or even brands. I have swung a lot of White's and Minelab and they feel and sound good to me as a whole. The Deus is way different and honestly, I just didn't completely feel it, but I do miss the ability to swing it all day. It is like having a stick in your hand.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Pointman that was a good simple review of all 3!

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
Hello all, I own a v3i for abut 4 years now and have just bought a CTX. ( got a great deal and could not pass it up). I will say this much out of the box, the CTX seems like a much simpler detector to adjust. Where as the v3rd can be a bit intimidating. I can speak to much on the CTX but the V3ihas become a joy to operate, after taking the time to learn what it can do and it does alot, I enjoy customizing it. I will be using the CTX exclusively for a while to gauge it's performance and will update the board once I have had some time to swing the machine and adjust it some. Either way I don't see myself sell get the whites V3i, if the CTX performs as well as everyone says it does I will probably keep both.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all, I own a v3i for abut 4 years now and have just bought a CTX. ( got a great deal and could not pass it up). I will say this much out of the box, the CTX seems like a much simpler detector to adjust. Where as the v3rd can be a bit intimidating. I can speak to much on the CTX but the V3ihas become a joy to operate, after taking the time to learn what it can do and it does alot, I enjoy customizing it. I will be using the CTX exclusively for a while to gauge it's performance and will update the board once I have had some time to swing the machine and adjust it some. Either way I don't see myself sell get the whites V3i, if the CTX performs as well as everyone says it does I will probably keep both.

I would love to hear your comparison of the two. With that much time in on the V it should be a big help.

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
I'm going to put together a dirt test in my back yard Saturday, just looking to set up some of the adjustable settings and run it thru the paces. Then Sunday I'm going to hit the park for a few hours. I will get a real good sense how the ctx function so in high trash. I fully realize that with detectors like the V3i and CTX the user can make a big difference, that said I'll update on the preliminary issues but won't be in a position to make a real call for some time. But for the record, I'm not bran loyal. I own the V3i and an excel too. So I'm not going be swayed either way. FYI from the outset I plan on keeping get the V3i it's a great detector and I really enjoy it's awesome custom options and it's multi analyze screens. Overall it's a detector I will keep and continue to use. I will hit the post wh an updatr sunday afternoon after the outing.

explorermw

Jul 17, 2013
I love my v3i. Nvr had the chance to use a deus or ctx. I like how it so customizable. Only complaint wish it was water proof. Also jus got my new big dawg coil for it.

91e0df19f139c778e8ce126fe83a91f6.jpg

381125648353df8f8e16a57499546dbd.jpg

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my v3i. Nvr had the chance to use a deus or ctx. I like how it so customizable. Only complaint wish it was water proof. Also jus got my new big dawg coil for it.

I hear the Big Dawg has limited depth on the V3i as compared to the 10" DD and can only be used in single frequency on the two lower frequencies. Is the idea just to cover more ground on shallow targets?

explorermw

Jul 17, 2013
If I turn my gain down I can get it to run in 3 freq. But I do prefer to run it in single freq. The idea is to hit the park the to you have all ready pulled the deep targets from. Then go back with the big dawg and pull the fresh dropped targets outta. It does have limited depth.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I turn my gain down I can get it to run in 3 freq. But I do prefer to run it in single freq. The idea is to hit the park the to you have all ready pulled the deep targets from. Then go back with the big dawg and pull the fresh dropped targets outta. It does have limited depth.

That looks like that would be a He-- of a competition coil.

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
Well. It was cold and very windy in Brooklyn today buy I got out to Manhattan beach none the less. OK with just a few hours with the CTC

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
Oops. Sorry posting from phone. Anyway with just a few hours on the CTX. What I like is its balance , although heavier than the V3i it didn't feel so. Also liked it's separation ability. I was able to track multi target by sound and visually, does not seem to process as fast as the v3i but I was able to separate multi targets well . What I didn't like is its pin pointing. The V3i seemed much more focused and the visual on the V3i I feel is a better visual Pin pointer visual aid to work with. The ctx pin pointer visual has two balls that converge on the middle open target symbol, I was not feeling it. Im working in the pre programed coin program with no changes. This week I will be making some changes to the program and will be hitting a local park. As I said previously it will take me probably 30 to 50 hours before I can weigh in on which of the two I feel is the better but what i made ne of on day one. HH. All!

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys rock. I so appreciate the candid reviews on the machines that I have on my want list. Between this thread, and others, I am becoming much more decided on what machine that I want to buy. I started THing in the mid-90s. I bought Tesoro and Fisher machines, but never a Whites. Just something about them didnt resonate with me, but I must say I am intrigued very much by some of the Whites machines now.

Last edited:

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
As i posted early on, I own multiple detectors . Have the whites V3i, the mine lab excal, and now the CTX. This Christmas I'm even buying my 7 yr old daughter a Garrett 250 ( much to my wife's displeasure she really wants to start detecting with me lol). So I am not stuck on one detector from one manufacturer. That said I will say that White's treats you like family when u call or have an issue, and there customer service is legendary not to mention Their detectors tend to last forever. fyi. I will post next week after the park hunt good luck and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions