Coinmaster on the beach?

cpgriff1

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy New Years everyone! I'm a newbie and wanted some opinions on the Coinmaster on the beach on east coast of Florida. It was given to me and it does have a lot of chatter near wet sand. Dry sand it does pretty well. Would I be wasting my time turning the sensitivity low so it doesn't chatter? Or should I try to invest in a VLF or something else. Any thoughts are appreciated thank you.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a beach button on it? If so push it when in wet sand.
If not, contact whites, they had made some of the first units without the beach mode but can provide an update that is user installable. I have not had a chance to use mine on the beach yet, but Phil Myers of Myers metal detectors who is FL has told me it works well.

OP
OP
C

cpgriff1

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420231224.485796.jpg
No beach button. I know it's a cheaper Md but it's all I can afford right now. I just hope if a big storm comes it'll pick up some pieces of eight in wet sand ha! :)

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, I read the title to a post above.. I thought you had the coinmaster GT.
The coinmaster will do fine in the dry sand, all you can do is turn down the sensitivity in the wet salt sand.
The salt water with the sand becomes conductive which is what the metal detector detects.. conductivity.. that is why is make all that noise..
So if you plan on beach only and want to do wet, which is where they say all the good stuff is, then a machine made for that purpose would be a better bet.

OP
OP
C

cpgriff1

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay I appreciate the info. I guess I'll stick to dry sand for now lol.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you decide to get a detector that'll work well in the wet sand you'll need a muliti frequency machine. Whites BHID, Excal or CZ-21. PI's work great too, but have little disc and you will spent a lot of time digging deep hole for tiny trash. If you decide on a pulse, the Tesoro Sand Shark is one of the best. Sand Shark.gif

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an old post, but what the hey...

I have one.
If you buy one your best bet is to run it in all-metal by hitting the P/P button and making it run with threshold tone in all-metal. It will likely be rather soft in volume when held still. It has a slow re-tune rate to threshold. Then watch the screen ID when you hear the tone when searching. It is only a single tone, but when run as I described, you (could) gain up to an extra 3" more (air) depth than in disc, or at least 1" more in the ground, depending on where you search, and how it is internally ground-balanced. If it already had an external GB, it is capable of 13" on a dime (in air) and 14" on a nickel (in air). Mine does. In the ground all the rules change, and so does the depth results, just like any other detector, including PI's.

You should check to see if it needs some internal ground balance adjustments before you buy it. Here is how: Check to see if it bellows or gets quiet nearing the ground in P/P mode with its slight tone, because if doing that and it gets loud real easily, you would have to adjust the internal ground balance pot inside it to match your soil. Yes, someone could put in an exterior GB pot for you, and an external sensitivity adjustment too, but it wouldn't be worth the time and money. Similarly, if that threshold tone goes quiet instead, the same thing will be required. It is not a good cherry picker, in fact, it sucks. I bought mine for open fields and salt/black sand beaches because it has a very wide scan. Sensitivity: Turn the sensitivity to just where it stops getting interference (AKA noise). It's no Minelab Sov GT, but it will work there if it works here, but again it will likely need some readjustments of its internal potentiometers, count on it. If you are new at the game, I personally would pass on it. If not, then it's sort of a gamble. And if you understand how to calibrate electronics, it's a simple walk in the park with a beer in your hand. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread