whats the best coil for depth on the DFX

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the ATP?? I mean...what?....why?..lol

My hunting buddy used to run one before he got an etrac years ago, he was finding things easily 9" deep

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

The stock 950 coils goes deep, but needs to be overlapped more due to the conical field. The 6"X10" DD is a great coil for general hunting and the 4"x6" for trashy areas. These three work well for me in Massachusetts soil.

Also for depth, I start with the gain at 4 and adjust the AC sensitivity (motion) until the machine protests. At this point, I back off the AC exactly 5 units and all is usually good for the hunt. Lastly, set the DC sensitivity (non-motion) between 45 - 55 Again, your area may require different settings. With these settings my DFX goes deep and is stable.

Regards,

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure about aftermarket coils but my D2 does very well on my DFX. Whites 12" coil is deep but has some weight too.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about the ATP?? I mean...what?....why?..lol

My hunting buddy used to run one before he got an etrac years ago, he was finding things easily 9" deep
Love the Pro but need something to mess around with. Can't use the DFX for a while since it's raining or snowing. That's why I love the pro. Also need another machine to introduce others to the hobby with

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a DFX and now I am wondering what is the best big coil for max depth and stability? I want to be able to get dimes at 8 or 9 inches

I am going to buy the Ultimate 13 for mine as soon as I get the money. I haven't really had depth issues with the DFX and think it's certainly capable of finding deep coins. I have found coins as deep as 7-8 inches with my SEF 6x8. I rarely ever use a big coil because of my hunting conditions but it would be nice to have one for open areas. If I couldn't find a 8-9 inch dime with the 13, I would be very surprised. I think the stock coil might would do it but haven't tested it to know for sure. I have a test garden where I can try it out if I can ever get time to get out there.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been able to go out with it yet due to the wet snow and rain. But I'm anxious to try it out

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Order yourself a copy of Digging Deeper with the DFX if you don't already have it. Probably a better investment at this point than a coil.. Digging Deeper with the DFX: Amazon.com: Books
Got it thanks also got a set of cards for all different types of programs. The detector came loaded with all programs full. Played with it in the yard for a few and with a high trash program was able to air test coins pretty deep compared to the coin program. Also loved the way it broke up the bottle caps

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007
Best Coil

I got a DFX and now I am wondering what is the best big coil for max depth and stability? I want to be able to get dimes at 8 or 9 inches

I have found three coils that will get the depth you want to see. In no particular order. SEF 10x12, SEF 13 inch Ultimate, and Whites 10 inch D2. The SEF coils both feel lighter than the D2. I have found dimes in moderately mineralized ground at 8 inches plus with all three. My DFX is currently outfitted with the 13 inch Ultimate coil. I have the SEF 6x8 for more trashy spots. If you can't tell, I am a big fan of SEF coils. Both big SEF coils are 60 bucks cheaper than the Whites D2. By the way the 10x12 SEF is the "V" nulled white coil. I bought it over two years ago and have used it on a V3i, VX3, DFX, and MXT. It worked great on all four. I would bet that I have logged over a thousand hours with this coil and it still performs as new.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 8x6 sef is all I ever use along with relic mode on the mxt 300 and mxt pro. When the sef first hit the market I read up on them and was very skeptical but after 2 years with it I find that it is a unbeatable combination. Just my thought. vanzutphen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread